Help! V-Dyne HGS-15X/2-channel sub [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Help! V-Dyne HGS-15X/2-channel sub

cyberstasz
09-20-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi,

I have a Velodyne HGS-15X subwoofer I just tried to start using for 2 channel. I purchased it in '05, used it lightly for about 2 years in a home theater setup, then it sat in the same room unused for about two more years (cool, low humidity and no pets) and now I go to use it in a 2 channel setup and this thing is popping. It sounds just terrible! I never rode this thing hard, I take excellent care of my gear! This model is discontinued and the reviews are mixed at best. I plan to call Velodyne and hopefully resolve it one way or another. Has anyone else had experience with this sub or others subs using two channel? I don't want to put money into this V-dyne if it is going to break down on me again and being it is discontinued I'm even more reluctant to shell out the green. What should I do if V-Dyne tells me I'm SOL? Who makes a musical sub with deep, tight, reliable bass output? It is mated to a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's V.4 being pushed by a Proton D1200 and controlled by a Sony ES TA-P9000ES preamp. All is connected by Straightwire Maestro.

I really am upset about this, this sub set me back $1800! Not what one should expect with that high a price tag!

Mike

Mr Peabody
09-20-2009, 03:03 PM
I had a Velodyne SPL-1200 which served for several years but died long before I expected it too. Velodyne has a flat repair rate, I forget now but I'm thinking just under $300.00. They will give you a return authorization and have you ship them the amp module. I sold my 1200 as is and just moved on. I was a bit hesitant to spend that money and have a hook up problem or not have it last. The hook up didn't look that hard though just plugging the wires back up.

Any way if you decide to move on, I ended up buying a SVS PC Ultra 13. This is a very good sub that far exceeds the Velodyne, especially for music. It's extremely fast and integrates with my speakers so well it's like not having a sub. I mean it plays low and deep but it's clean and seamless. This is a vertical cylinder sub. The shipping isn't cheap on this model but the 12+ can go UPS which is one step down from the 13U. You can also plug the ports to make it play even lower. Another supposed good sub for music is REL and you might find them interesting as they are designed to be hooked directly to the amps speaker terminals along with the speakers. You'll have to check their website they can explain the philosophy better than me. I've seen REL before but I don't know if the store didn't have them hooked up correctly or crossed too low, I couldn't tell any difference between when it was supposed to be on or off. I can vouch first hand for the SVS though.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2009, 03:17 PM
One other thing, you've used Velodyne so you are familiar with it's sound, it can rumble a room. This was good for HT but I didn't find it a musical sub at all. When I first got my SVS and watched HT the rumble wasn't there and I began to have doubts but as I used it I realized it was doing it's job just very cleanly with a lot of detail. I watched Transformers on Blu-ray and the sound quality was awesome, the low end detail with the special effects were incredible. Same with a BR Jazz sampler and everything else so far. So you get the low frequencies they just remain controlled and low distortion. I don't know what you are used to or what type of music you like but I thought I'd mention the difference. Once I realized what was going on and what more I was hearing I wouldn't go back.

cyberstasz
09-21-2009, 05:14 PM
Mr. Peabody,

Thanks very much for the info! First of all I conctacted V-dyne today and the process was just as you said, a flat rate repair fee of $245 (including return shipping). So I will ship the electronic board out tomorrow and once I receive it back, I will sell 'as is.' How long was the repair time with your unit? With the new electronics the sub will be like new. There are absolutely no scratches, dings, dents or any other cosmetic blemish to speak of. What do you feel is a fair price for the HGS-15X?

THEN, I'm going to take your advice and try an SVS PC-13 Ultra. One of the biggest pluses for me is that it will actually open some floor space which I was desperately looking for! I cannot wait to try this sub!! After reading about it and the pics of the basket and magnet structure it looks phenomenal! It honestly looks like a competitive car audio sub. Quick, tight, deep and punchy bass w/o distortion is exactly what I'm looking for. I'm not much of a fan of the 'boominess' in many of the HT subs.

Funny thing, there is only one review post here at audioreview.com and the reviewer states he is using it with a pair of Paradigm Studio 60's, the same speaker I'll be mating it to.

Mike

Mr Peabody
09-21-2009, 05:25 PM
I sold mine rather than getting it fixed so I'm not sure how long they take. If you replace the board and it works you should get a pretty fair price but I'm not sure what resale would be.

I'll have to see about writing a review. The process last time was such a pain to get to the place to write the review I don't bother any more. It's worth looking into to see if the process was ever improved though.

Happy Camper
09-21-2009, 06:45 PM
I agree with Mr. Peabody. I have one of these hogs and they are very hard to tune to stats. Martin Logan has the Depth I sub using three 8" drivers. http://www.us.martinlogan.com/speaker_intro/depth_i.html

Mr Peabody
09-22-2009, 05:23 AM
I've heard some ML subs and they do pound. Their subs grew a reputation faster than their speakers I believe. Some have gotten great professional reviews. It should show that ML has dealt with the criticism of dynamic and electrostatic drivers not integrating.