Ripped off! Now we'll see if the system works. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ripped off! Now we'll see if the system works.

Worf101
09-20-2009, 07:10 AM
I've got perfect seller and buyer feedback on Ebay, almost 350 transactions. I've only been ripped off once and that was small potatos. Now I'm out $400 bucks and I'm waiting to see what ebay and paypal do about it. I saw that the seller had no feedback but I contacted them and they assured me that it was only because they were new to ebay. They were registered with PayPal and they said my purchase was covered. 20 days after payment all I have to show for my money is 4 emails saying:

1. I was sick so I couldn't ship your item till today.

2. Should be there any day now.

3. Item came back address misspelled.

4. It'll be there Thurs or Friday and I'll give 20% off your next purchase.

Never got a tracking number nor any goods. I checked, the guy has nothing else for sale, and the only feedback he has came from someone name Zach, same name as the guy who emailed me. I was gonna give em until Monday but said **** it these guys are a rip-off so I filed a complaint. Paypal doesn't even handle the complaints any more, they sent me back to ebay. I don't like this first development at all but I'll ride it out. I'll be really interested to see what PayPal is cracked up to be and if they're worth their 3% mark up on sales. I'll keep you all apprised as to how ebay and PayPal measure up.

Da Worfster

thekid
09-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Worf

Sorry to hear your woes. I had to file a complaint one time on a basic bait/switch scam. Basically E-Bay/PayPal asked me to make several attempts to resolve the situation. Once i did that they basically did the same thing with the same results from the seller. After about 45 days with no follow up from E-Bay/Paypal directly with me I just get a message saying my PayPal account was creditied for the amount of my original purchase price. I don't have enough activity for it have been anything else but there never was any follow up with me regarding the incident. I think you will get your money back but I would not count on this being a quick process.

Good luck!

02audionoob
09-20-2009, 07:42 AM
Maybe "seller" is trying to delay past a cut-off date for filing a dispute or a clearing date in PayPal. In any case, if you'll just file your dispute you'll get your money back unless the other party can prove they delivered the goods. I've had to file disputes several times and PayPal came through every time.

On another issue, my minimum for the seller is 50 positives before I'll buy anything that costs more than a few bucks. That site has been around long enough that there's really no excuse in my book for being new. I'll let someone else have the great deal.

Worf101
09-20-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the quick love guys. I remembered I once went through the same thing with a guy who "better dealt" me on a vintage Vox Beatle Bass. He took my money, sold the bass for more to a friend then gave me the run around on giving back my money. He was indignant that I left bad feedback for him. Other buyers later contacted me to ask about the guy I told them the simple truth. Guy had the nerve to ask why I was bad mouthing him to other potential buyers. Paypal did force the guy to return the money. Haven't seen him since.

Da Worfster

recoveryone
09-20-2009, 08:16 AM
I feel your pain Worf, more and more things like this are popping up due to economy. People pulling more scams or being out right dishonest to make a buck. Paypal is slow on this and keep you in the dark on their efforts to resolve the issue.

JohnMichael
09-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Worf I can imagine gangs of AR members living in the city of the seller showing up at his/her door looking for some AR justice. Dude you ripped off Worf and we are here with the Klingon manual of retributions.

Sorry it happened and I hope E-Bay and PayPal back you up.

Worf101
09-20-2009, 10:10 AM
Worf I can imagine gangs of AR members living in the city of the seller showing up at his/her door looking for some AR justice. Dude you ripped off Worf and we are here with the Klingon manual of retributions.

"Set Phasors to Evaporate!!!!" LOL... man I'd love that. A posse of AR "Regulators" authorized to right wrongs and mete out swift justice to the guilty!!!! Man I kinda like the sound of that!!!!

Thanks JM!!!!!

Da Worfster

atomicAdam
09-20-2009, 11:08 AM
well... make dreams a reality. isn't that what life is all about?
what city is the seller in?

http://www.thatpamchick.com/images/america_****_yeah.jpg

manlystanley
09-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Bummer. Got to turn him in fast and get your cash back....

Rudy Gireyev
09-20-2009, 08:07 PM
I had a seller from New Jersey with less than 10 positive feedbacks sell me an old microphone for the price of a new one. Which was almost double. After trying to contact him unsuccessfully, I filed a dispute with eBay/PayPal and they did nothing, and I never saw my money or heard from the seller. :(
So since then no more eBay for me.
Hope it was just an exception, and it works out better for you.

Rudy

thekid
09-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I had a seller from New Jersey with less than 10 positive feedbacks sell me an old microphone for the price of a new one. Which was almost double. After trying to contact him unsuccessfully, I filed a dispute with eBay/PayPal and they did nothing, and I never saw my money or heard from the seller. :(
So since then no more eBay for me.
Hope it was just an exception, and it works out better for you.

Rudy

If I am reading your post right it is not the faullt of the seller or E-Bay if you overpaid for the item. Now if the item is not delivered,delivered damaged or was not the item described in the auction then you have legitimate complaint.

bobsticks
09-21-2009, 02:30 AM

Lolz...you know that's true...if ol' boy was in the midwest I'd show up locked and loaded..."Hey Yo...Thug life, byi..."...hehehe...

Worf101
09-21-2009, 05:29 AM
Opened a claim with Ebay and formally began the litigation process with PayPal. We'll see how long this takes. The guy's in Euless, Texas. He even went so far as to leave obvious positive feedback for himself. It was/is such an obvious scam (not obvious enough for me to recognise it I suppose) for such a middling amount of money I don't understand why he would do it. But I guess desperate times make for desperate people.

Da Worfster

kexodusc
09-21-2009, 05:38 AM

LOL. You brilliant bastard.

I like your thinking...say Worf..got his email addy? We can start by sending him a nasty virus to piss him off.

GMichael
09-21-2009, 06:12 AM
Reporting all systems ready for battle, SIR. Today is a good day for them to die.

Rudy Gireyev
09-21-2009, 08:23 AM
If I am reading your post right it is not the faullt of the seller or E-Bay if you overpaid for the item. Now if the item is not delivered,delivered damaged or was not the item described in the auction then you have legitimate complaint.
Not quite. The mic was advertised as new. Additionally I contacted the seller to verify that it was in fact new. So I paid the price for it thinking that it was new. I did not think that I overpaid. When I received the package the microphone smelled of cigarettes and some of the contents were missing from the package that were supposed to be there. So I was clearly deceived. I wanted to return the mic and get my money back. Only to be abandoned by both the seller and eBay/PayPal.

Anyway, live and learn for me.
Rudy

E-Stat
09-21-2009, 08:47 AM
20 days after payment all I have to show for my money is 4 emails...
Real bummer. Yet another reason why I refuse to be "verified". My purchases are charged to AMEX. It that were to happen to me, I would send them a letter along with my statement telling them why I refuse to pay that transaction.

rw

poppachubby
09-21-2009, 11:35 AM
Real bummer. Yet another reason why I refuse to be "verified". My purchases are charged to AMEX. It that were to happen to me, I would send them a letter along with my statement telling them why I refuse to pay that transaction.

rw

Here, here, I won't verify either. Hey Worf, when the whole Tamagachi (toy) craze was on my buddy bought a couple from some Asian seller and of course, didn't receive anything. Within a month he had his money back from Paypal. It might not be all gloom and doom my friend. With all the cash Paypal and Ebay make, they will try and help you. Of course, some fall through the cracks but don't lose hope so early. Keep your chin up, I think you'll see your cash again. And if you do, might I suggest hookers and whiskey?

manlystanley
09-22-2009, 05:06 AM
Lolz...you know that's true...if ol' boy was in the midwest I'd show up locked and loaded..."Hey Yo...Thug life, byi..."...hehehe...

Bobsticks, don't forget about the great state of Virgina. If he lives here I'll load up my dogs and guns in my pickup truck and I'm after umm.....

Worf101
09-22-2009, 05:17 AM
I really REALLY appreciate all the love folks. Particularly all the offers for cyber and physical retribution. If you knew how close I feel to some of you folks here. Yeah, I'm on some "other" audio sites but, after almost 10 years, this is like home to me. Even when we holla, cuss and fight with one another, there's still a lot of love.

Da Worfster

3db
09-22-2009, 05:40 AM
I'm sorry to hear that Worf. That sucks big time no matter from what angle your looking at. And it sounds like Paypall is liking bad insurance if they are not going to do anything about it.

nightflier
09-22-2009, 02:59 PM
Well paypal and eBay are now one & the same, so your complaint is in both systems. That's actually quite an improvement as the dual complaint system before was always one of those let's-wait-what-the-other-guys-do before they paid out. I've been on eBay for years, have had quite a few non-payers and rip-off scammers, but the system has improved tremendously, so I'm pretty sure you'll get your money back.

Now dealing with UPS, that's another matter altogether. Kind of wish eBay would offer the same deal to FedEx just to give me another option.

Worf101
09-29-2009, 07:36 AM
Ebay sent me a "have you resolved this" email that took me right to a claims person who took all of a half a minute to look at the item, look at my history, look at his and pronounce that I'd have an immediate refund to my PayPal account in less that 5 business days. If this occurs as she says it will I, for one, will be amazed and gratefull. I guess all in all Nightflier and others were right, ebay HAS improved in this regard. I'll keep you all apprised.

Da Worfster

manlystanley
09-29-2009, 09:04 AM
Ebay sent me a "have you resolved this" email that took me right to a claims person who took all of a half a minute to look at the item, look at my history, look at his and pronounce that I'd have an immediate refund to my PayPal account in less that 5 business days. If this occurs as she says it will I, for one, will be amazed and gratefull. I guess all in all Nightflier and others were right, ebay HAS improved in this regard. I'll keep you all apprised.

Da Worfster

Yeee Haaa! Great news!!!!

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM

Da Worfster

I still want to kick his culo for raising your blood pressure. Me and my cousin Miguel would love the job....No te metas con mis amigos, y tenemos que impulsar este punto de inicio! :nono: Ah see, this made me talk taco's again!

Worf101
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
I still want to kick his culo for raising your blood pressure. Me and my cousin Miguel would love the job....No te metas con mis amigos, y tenemos que impulsar este punto de inicio! :nono: Ah see, this made me talk taco's again!
:hand: Now, I'm hungry.... AGAIN!!!! One thing I miss "up here", is the hispanic/chinese mix-ups from the Bronx... Ummmmm tasty.

Thanks for the love...

Da Worfster

thekid
09-29-2009, 02:32 PM
Congrats Worf!
Hope to see you posting about your refund next week!

Worf101
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Congrats Worf!
Hope to see you posting about your refund next week!
Thanks Keeeed... you and everyone here have been aces. Couldn't ask for better friends.

Da Worfster

JSE
09-29-2009, 03:31 PM
Euless is just a few hours north of me near Ft. Worth.

Say the word buddy and I am all over this dude like white on rice! The guy will quake in his boots and fork the money over when he sees me coming up to his door in a grass skirt with my famous wobbly eyed fighten face on! He don't want none of that! :skep:

JSEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Ka Pow!, Bam! Ouch!

JoeE SP9
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Glad to hear ebay and paypal are on the job. I guess papal is worth that extra 3%.

poppachubby
09-29-2009, 06:10 PM
...see? What'd I tell ya? For the most part, Paypal and Ebay do pretty good...glad all has worked out Worf and all is right in the world again. Equilibrium continues....for now....

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-29-2009, 07:34 PM
Euless is just a few hours north of me near Ft. Worth.

Say the word buddy and I am all over this dude like white on rice! The guy will quake in his boots and fork the money over when he sees me coming up to his door in a grass skirt with my famous wobbly eyed fighten face on! He don't want none of that! :skep:

JSEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee, Ka Pow!, Bam! Ouch!

THE GRASS SKIRT......WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA:eek6:

Mr Peabody
09-30-2009, 05:30 AM
A little late to the party but hoping for a positive out come for you Worf.

Yeah, grass skirt with cowboy boots.... what an image :)

Worf101
10-02-2009, 01:21 PM
Da Posse did da trick. I guess the sight of an angry kid in a grass skirt forced em to cave. Just got my money back. Far easier and faster than I thought it would be. Thanks everyone for your kinds words and support. You folks make life better!!!!!

Da Worfster

Mr Peabody
10-02-2009, 04:03 PM
Right on!

JSE
10-02-2009, 05:05 PM
I guess the sight of an angry kid in a grass skirt forced em to cave.

Da Worfster

My work is done. :aureola:

thekid
10-03-2009, 01:41 AM
Congrats Worf!
Now go out and splurge on another set of EPI's............ :)

poppachubby
10-03-2009, 03:03 AM
...liquor and whores...

Jack in Wilmington
10-03-2009, 05:59 AM
Congrats Worfster
A guy I work with buys and sells alot on Ebay and he said he's always gotten his money back on bad deals. Usually from the seller, for something broken when he received it. You get scammers trying to beat the system. They send you something that they know is broken and then try to put in an insurance claim with the shipper.
Just glad everything worked out for you. I got scammed last winter for $150 and it was my own fault. I let my guard down and ignored the red flags and bam. When a deal is too good to be true, it usually is.

jvc
10-05-2009, 04:45 AM
Glad you got it straightened out.
Things like this is exactly why I will not buy anything on eBay.
I've read too many stories like this one.........

jake22745
10-08-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe "seller" is trying to delay past a cut-off date for filing a dispute or a clearing date in PayPal. In any case, if you'll just file your dispute you'll get your money back unless the other party can prove they delivered the goods. I've had to file disputes several times and PayPal came through every time.

On another issue, my minimum for the seller is 50 positives before I'll buy anything that costs more than a few bucks. That site has been around long enough that there's really no excuse in my book for being new. I'll let someone else have the great deal.

I won two items on Ebay. One guy promptly sent a tracking number. The other person never returned an email even thought I emailed several times. I got both items deliver two days apart. I never understood why the one person never answered an email.

Mr Peabody
10-08-2009, 05:14 PM
I posted my Audio Note DAC on Craigslist last month and got one of those scammer emails where they want to send you the money and have their "mover" pick up the unit. When I replied I told the idiot he sounded like a scammer, he still replied back. It's so funny, they don't even know what they are buying and the replies are so stupid. So I went on line and found the address of our local FBI field office and an agent's name. I sent the reply back giving this info and even the FBI phone number as my own. He wrote back and told me the check was UPS'd. I got one other email asking if I got the check yet and I told him not yet. Oddly, I haven't heard anything since :) I wonder if he tried to call and figured it out or if maybe some one who can read English read my original email to him.

02audionoob
10-08-2009, 06:31 PM
I won two items on Ebay. One guy promptly sent a tracking number. The other person never returned an email even thought I emailed several times. I got both items deliver two days apart. I never understood why the one person never answered an email.

Some on eBay are high-volume sellers who might be ignoring non-critical emails to save time.

Worf101
10-09-2009, 04:34 AM
All I know is that whatever the guy was trying to pull didn't work. The only thing I can think of was that he was hoping I'd let 45 days or more pass before crying rape :yikes: Or perhaps he just deposits the money for the interest, I don't know. The only way for this scam to really work is to NOT involve PayPal, which he did. Strange. The only thing I know is that the AR Posse rides, hard, shoot's straight and brings justice swift and sure!!!!

Da Worfster

GMichael
10-09-2009, 05:59 AM
Glad it worked out for you Worf. I had heard that PayPal was less than ideal. Maybe I'll give them a chance now. Thanks for your story with the happy ending.

nightflier
10-09-2009, 09:15 AM
Consider yourself lucky that you're not dealing with UPS. I sent an item that arrived, not just damaged, but destroyed beyond recognition (the recipient sent me a foto before he refused it). That UPS actually proceeded to deliver it is beyond belief, but it gets better. I filed a claim, got my money back and I sent the guy a second identical item for his trouble. They attempted to deliver only twice, to the wrong address (the recipient never saw them), and are now returning it to me, supposedly at "my expense."

Yes, I will be filing another claim for the shipping and the packing materials, and it better arrive back here in good shape.