PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity

FUDU
09-19-2009, 04:01 PM
This is the set up I have.

LG Plasma television
Yamaha receiver
Cable box

Outside cable coming into cable box, from cable box to television. A/V connections from cable box to television (component), receiver to television (HDMI).

I wish to add a DVD recorder to the current set up, this is my thinking:

Cable from outside to the DVD recorder, from DVD recorder to cable box, cable box to television. Where I am stuck (probably just over thinking this) is how to run the A/V from DVD recorder. Do I run it from DVD to receiver, or run it from DVD to cable box (which then cable box runs to television).

Thoughts, criticism on my stupidity is welcome.

Thanks in advance.

02audionoob
09-19-2009, 06:11 PM
Seems like the cable should go straight to the cable box. Then A/V interconnects from cable box outputs to DVD recorder. Does the DVD recorder have its own tuner?

FUDU
09-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Seems like the cable should go straight to the cable box. Then A/V interconnects from cable box outputs to DVD recorder. Does the DVD recorder have its own tuner?
Cable from outside to box, from box to DVD recorder, from DVD recorder to TV, is that what you are saying? Then A/V from DVD recorder to TV?

Remember I have a receiver and wish to take full advantage of it so at some point the A/V needs to run through it if I want to enjoy my DVDs the best way possible.

Mr Peabody
09-19-2009, 06:22 PM
Typically, most people run all components into the receiver and one video connection from receiver to TV. What I did with my recorder was run HDMI from cable box into the receiver and the analog L/R and composite from cable box into recorder. Since I don't use the recorder for normal viewing, I did run another set of analog L/R with composite video to TV for set up and related viewing. If you do a lot of TV watching without the receiver being on though this would mean the recorder would have to be on to allow you to get a signal to the TV without the receiver being on. It also depends on what type of hook ups your TV has. My Sony TV, which I wasn't talking about, actually has A/V outputs. So you can hook up everything normally and just come off the TV outputs to the recorder. There's also enough other inputs I can come back in from the recorder, sort of like we used to do with a cassette deck to our receivers. Hope you are old enough to remember cassettes :)

If your TV is HD and you get HD programming you have to be careful daisy chaining components because nothing will allow you to record HD and you won't get HD out of your recorder. Of course, with that being said, I'm assuming by recorder you meant a disc recorder. If you mean some type of Tivo device things could be different.

02audionoob
09-19-2009, 06:39 PM
Cable from outside to box, from box to DVD recorder, from DVD recorder to TV, is that what you are saying? Then A/V from DVD recorder to TV?

Remember I have a receiver and wish to take full advantage of it so at some point the A/V needs to run through it if I want to enjoy my DVDs the best way possible.

You can run the outputs from the DVD recorder to wherever you want to play them. I'm just assuming a DVD recorder that doesn't have its own tuner. In that case you would record from the cable box.

However, if your DVD recorder has its own tuner, that's a different story. That's why I asked. In that case it's RF from wall to DVD recorder. RF from DVD recorder to cable box. Optional RF from cable box to TV...or HDMI. AV interconnects from cable box outputs to DVD recorder inputs. AV interconnects from DVD recorder outputs to TV inputs or receiver inputs.

Mr Peabody
09-19-2009, 06:58 PM
I didn't even think about it having a tuner, I have a JVC like that with a hard drive. Also, I missed that this would be his main DVD player.

FUDU, two things: 1. do you have high definition TV/cable service and does the recorder have a tuner?

FUDU
09-20-2009, 06:11 AM
First off thanks for the replies.

I have a an HD cable box and my DVD recorder does not have a tuner.

I just plan to use the DVD recorder to view DVD's and do some limited recording. Right now w/o the DVD recorder in the mix I use my receiver when watching TV to make full use of the surround sound and the $700 Paradigms I own. So I obviously switch from TV to receiver for the audio benefits, which I do not mind, but would also like to use the benefits of the receiver when using the DVD set up as well.

My main concerns are taking full advantage of the receiver for audio purposes when watching TV/DVD, and running the cable correctly so I can record what it is I am watching. In the past I remember being told that running the cable incorrectly (either through the box first then to DVD or vice versa) will impact the ability to record with the DVD player. That info (right or wrong) prompted me to come here and get the skinny from you experts.

I am far from experienced in this stuff as you can most likely tell. I understand the basics of connectivity in terms of output to destination but once you mix in the different kinds of signals and transmission technologies I am not up to speed at all.

02audionoob
09-20-2009, 06:50 AM
I have a an HD cable box and my DVD recorder does not have a tuner.

So this means you can't just run the cable from the outside to the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder would have no idea what channel to record. You can run AV interconnects from the cable box outputs to the DVD recorder inputs and record that. You can run AV interconnects from the DVD recorder outputs to the receiver inputs and watch the DVDs through your receiver.

FUDU
09-20-2009, 06:58 AM
So this means you can't just run the cable from the wall to the DVD recorder. The DVD recorder would have no idea what channel to record. You can run AV interconnects from the cable box outputs to the DVD recorder inputs and record that. You can run AV interconnects from the DVD recorder outputs to the receiver inputs and watch the DVDs through your receiver.
So in essence you are saying run outside cable to cable box, to DVD recorder, to TV. Then run A/V from cable box to DVD, DVD to receiver, receiver to TV.

Receiver to TV will be through HDMI while the rest will be done with various component/composite connections depending on each units capability. The DVD recorder is a few years old and I do not believe it has anything other than composite capability.

02audionoob
09-20-2009, 07:05 AM
So in essence you are saying run outside cable to cable box, to DVD recorder, to TV. Then run A/V from cable box to DVD, DVD to receiver, receiver to TV.

Nope. I'm saying outside cable to cable box and then no more cable, unless you want to continue it to the TV. AV interconnects from cable box to DVD recorder inputs and from DVD recorder to receiver inputs.

FUDU
09-20-2009, 07:26 AM
Nope. I'm saying outside cable to cable box and then no more cable, unless you want to continue it to the TV. AV interconnects from cable box to DVD recorder inputs and from DVD recorder to receiver inputs.
I don't believe the DVD recorder will be able to record that way, I may be wrong but will try it.

Mr Peabody
09-20-2009, 11:22 AM
OK, if you have HD you want cable to HDcable box, run cable box to receiver if it's HDMI compatible. Run component video and optical or coaxial audio from recorder to receiver for movie viewing. Take video from receiver to TV. Now for recording, you will have to go from the cable box composite and 2 channel audio into the recorder. The composite video is 480i and the recorder will accept that and record. The recorder would not record a HD video signal. If your cable box has a hard drive, DVR, that is a good thing to record from in case you have shows with commercials.

02audionoob
09-20-2009, 02:04 PM
Mr. P...no offense intended, but I think you're complicating matters by explaining in a longer, more complicated way what we've already covered. And as an aside...I also think acknowledging I'm here would be the decent thing to do.