Question on Amps or Receivers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Question on Amps or Receivers

BallinWithNash
09-18-2009, 10:41 PM
I was wondering if someone has found or has some info on Amps or receivers that have a meter (lights) that tell you how much power it is using and shows you when it is or about to clip. Because I can't find anything new that has the meter my dad has an old Carver receiver with it so I don't know if it was just made in that time period or what.

Mr Peabody
09-19-2009, 04:05 AM
Some Adcom amps have a LED that would light up when the amp gets to clipping. If it's the look of the meter you may have to go vintage. I believe I remember one of the guys saying their Emotiva power amp had meters. I also recall McIntosh owners mentioning power meters, but you are talking bigga money there.

Were you looking for function or just cosmetics with the meter?

E-Stat
09-19-2009, 08:56 AM
I was wondering if someone has found or has some info on Amps or receivers that have a meter (lights) that tell you how much power it is using and shows you when it is or about to clip.
Today, there are very few amplifiers that possess either meters or LED output ladders. One reason is they really don't do a very accurate job of reporting peaks. A fast transient can instantaneously clip an amp before the indicator has time to realize it. My '81 Threshold Stasis has a vertical array of twelve LEDs which do as well as most, but shares that same issue. Your ears do a better job. They are, however, capable of illustrating which recordings are truly dynamic. You quickly realize the difference between average and peak levels.

McIntosh is synonymous with using meters - even for ridiculous things like preamps and turntables. They even sell a meter kit for your car stereo! It is more of a style statement than a useful tool. Learn to hear what clipping sounds like and keep your gain control in check. :)

rw

RGA
09-19-2009, 10:31 AM
Yes the new Grant Fidelity Rita uses Meters. Great amp for a great price. And at over 100lbs it also serves as a personal gym. http://grantfidelity.com/site/RITA-880-Reference-Integrated-Tube-Amplifier

My review http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=181

BallinWithNash
09-19-2009, 10:35 PM
On the function or cosmetics I would prefer both but if I had to choose I would pick function. And I guess I have never clipped my stereo then if you can really hear the difference. Because I have turned those knobs pretty high up there but no serious distortion that I could hear (i don't have the best ears in the world though haha). And I don't have enough money for a 4,500$ amp at the moment sorry RGA haha

pixelthis
09-20-2009, 01:45 AM
On the function or cosmetics I would prefer both but if I had to choose I would pick function. And I guess I have never clipped my stereo then if you can really hear the difference. Because I have turned those knobs pretty high up there but no serious distortion that I could hear (i don't have the best ears in the world though haha). And I don't have enough money for a 4,500$ amp at the moment sorry RGA haha

I think you dont understand what "clipping" is.
Its when an underpowered amp is driven beyond its capibilities and drives a
speaker into distortion by clipping the waveform.
In todays equipment its reletively rare, and you would probably go deaf trying to cause
it.
Most speakers these days (save for some higher line models) are very efficent, and
most amps, while overrated on power for the most part, have no trouble driving them.
"Clipping" is something you have to set out to do, usually.:1:

Mr Peabody
09-20-2009, 09:34 AM
You might try to find a used Adcom gfa-5500 that has the warning LED if drven to clipping. If this amp clips some one is at high SPL :) I'm not sure what other models of Adcom might include this type of help.

02audionoob
09-20-2009, 09:44 AM
Mr. P...Have you ever made the red LEDs flash on an Adcom amp? I turned a GFP-555 to the 3:00 position without making the LEDs on a GFA-535 light up. My only Adcom gear now is a GCD-575 and GFA-545II. I've never turned that setup past 12:00.

BallinWithNash
09-20-2009, 12:33 PM
pixie i didn't know the scientific thing behind clipping I just knew that when you start clipping your amp can blow out your tweeter on your speaker because it doesn't have enough power to drive the driver (at least thats what i thought) ... please correct me if I am wrong.

E-Stat
09-20-2009, 02:01 PM
...your amp can blow out your tweeter on your speaker because it doesn't have enough power to drive the driver
Dynamic drivers are damaged by over excursion and over heating. Once an amp goes into clipping and is in an overload situation, it can send DC to the speaker. It is the direct current that burns out voice coils. Tube amps, for example, typically clip more gracefully and recover faster. SS amps using high amounts of negative feedback are the worst case scenario because they are constantly attempting to correct themselves.

rw