New Transatlantic due at the end of the year [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New Transatlantic due at the end of the year

Finch Platte
09-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Woohoo!

If you don't know who they are...

While Neal Morse was with Spock's Beard, he also released two solo albums which contain mostly straightforward rock music. In 2000, Neal joined Dream Theater's Mike Portnoy, Flower Kings' Roine Stolt and Pavement's Pete Trewavas to form the supergroup Transatlantic, with which he released two studio albums, SMPT:e and Bridge Across Forever, and two live albums, Live in Europe and Live In America, helped live by the guest artist Daniel Gildenlöw, from Pain of Salvation. After seven years, Transalantic has reunited and with a new studio album, which will come by the year's end.

Wikipedia article here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neal_Morse#With_Transatlantic) on Morse. Born again Christian. Ewwww. :out:

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2009, 06:35 PM
and Pavement's Pete Trewavas

This wouldn't be the same Pavement that Swish was raving about, would it? In a prog band? Nah, couldn't be. :shocked:

3LB
09-20-2009, 07:37 PM
Pete Trewavas is in Marillion

3LB
09-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Back to this...I'm having a hard time picturing you (FP) wrapping your head around a 77 minute epic...I ain't sayin, I'm jes sayin...

Now if anyone could pull off a decent 77 minute run, it'd be Neal Morse. No one, and I mean no one, writes the epic like Neal Morse...so I am curious, but I'm curbing my enthusiasm with two things:

1) I came into Transatlantic (is their diehard fanbase called Trannies? - jes wonerin) with their second effort, Bridge Across Forever, which was good, but then I got their first one, SMPTe, which blows BAF away. That album has the 31 minute epic, All Of The Above, which for 28 minutes is gloriouos, but they obviously padded the song with an opus-like fade (it takes longer for this song to fade-out than the average length for pop song) just to get it over the 30 min mark. Oh well, it is prog. After hearing the first album, I only feel the need to listen to one song off the second one.

2)The second worry I have is whether or not Neal can keep it secular. I realize he's a born again christian and prolly wants to stem the tide of muslim sharia law infiltrating our country, but I'll pop a '40' and laugh at The 700 Club if I want religion...it just ain't got no place in prog.

But, being the fanboy that I am...I just gots to know - I'll prolly buy it.

Finch Platte
09-21-2009, 09:14 AM
This wouldn't be the same Pavement that Swish was raving about, would it? In a prog band? Nah, couldn't be. :shocked:

I just stuck that in there to see if you were paying attention.

Good eye! :devil: