Pavement is reuniting! Yahoo! [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Pavement is reuniting! Yahoo!

Swish
09-18-2009, 11:26 AM
Well, it actually just for a tour next year, so I guess I won't get too excited. However, I've never seen them live, so you can bet the ranch that I'll find a way to see them. Hard to believe they split up 11 years ago. Man oh man am I getting old. The tour starts in NY next September, but tickets are already going on sale today! WTF is up with that? I just read they sold out the first show in 2 minutes, so they added a second that sold out and now have added a third at the same Central Park location. I'm not even going to try scoring tickets for that show, as I'm sure they'll make it to Philly or MD or somewhere close.

NEW YORK (Billboard) - Influential indie rock band Pavement will reunite for a world tour in 2010, 11 years after the lo-fi quintet broke up.

The first confirmed show is a September 21, 2010 benefit concert at New York City's Rumsey Playfield in Central Park. Tickets go on sale on Friday.

Originally a studio project of guitarists and vocalists Stephen Malkmus and Scott Kannberg, Pavement began releasing a series of raw, lo-fi recordings in 1989. By 1992, the group had added drummer Gary Young, bassist Mark Ibold and percussionist Bob Nastanovich to the lineup, toured regularly, and released its debut album, "Slanted and Enchanted."

Pavement quickly became an iconic college rock band, thanks in large part to Malkmus' onstage wit and personality. Young was replaced in 1993 by Steve West. The band released four more studio albums: "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" in 1994, "Wowee Zowee" in 1995, "Brighten the Corners" in 1997 and 1999's swan song, "Terror Twilight," all on independent label Matador Records.

The band's records were not big hits; "Crooked Rain," was the best seller with 247,000 according to Nielsen SoundScan and the groups total sales to date are 1.2 million. But exposure on MTV's alternative video show "120 Minutes" and extensive touring -- including a spot on 1995's Lollapalooza tour - cemented its reputation as both a posture-free alternative to the "commercial alternative" music of the time and a hard partying, free-for-all live group.

Pavement disbanded after the "Terror Twilight" tour, although the members have stayed on fairly good terms in the subsequent decade. Malkmus has gone on to a successful solo career with his band the Jicks. Mark Ibold is now the bassist in Sonic Youth, and Scott Kannberg still records as Spiral Stairs. Each year since, Pavement reunion rumors have circulated but never borne fruit.

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 12:00 PM
I hate to admit it, but I am completely ingnorant about "Pavement". I do recognize Malkmus and Sonic Youth though.

I take it this is one of those bands that harkens back to the dark days of Indie's fledgling attempts to crawl out of the water. Mayhap, I should investigate...

Finch Platte
09-18-2009, 12:02 PM
...the groups total sales to date are 1.2 million.

Man, that's a lot of stupid people.

:D

Swish
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
I am completely ingnorant, but I am very smart when it comes to my favorite bands like Richmond Fontaine. Please guide me o' master Swish.

...start with the remastered 'Slanted and Enchanted', then their biggest seller 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain', then their final release that was quite a departure, 'Terror Twilight'.

Master Swish

Finch Platte
09-18-2009, 12:51 PM
...start with one used copy of any of 'em and that's pretty much all you'll need.
Master Swish

Fixt.

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 01:01 PM
Finch...you made me lol...

Swish
09-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Fixt.

Now go back to your Sudoku and leave us music people alone.

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 01:37 PM
Hold on...I smell something...whatever could it be?!

...why it's the overwhelming stench of jackassery...

:dita: