Arctic Monkeys - Humbug [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Arctic Monkeys - Humbug

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Three new releases in one week for me. My ears have been busy.

So, I've been spinning this new Arctic Monkeys disk. They've come a long way from their first CD. I remember listening to the first disk and thinking that the songs and lyrics were very immature but I thought the band had promise.

The second disk did not disappoint me. Musically a little more complex and interesting, they had definately grown.

This disk is a continuation of that growth. Sounding more like their second disk than their first (a very good thing, IMO) this disk has a few more twists and turns. And while it still has that obvious Arctic Monkey sound, it is more melodic than their previous releases. Each song sounds less like the previous one. I want to say that I even hear a little Elbow influence in this album at times.

This is IMO their best release so far. Each of their CDs speaks to me more than the previous one. I am really liking the direction that this band is heading. It's nice to hear a band grow and change with each new disk rather than settle into a distinct sound and stay there (Nickelback comes to mind as an example). I'm looking forward to spending more time getting to know this new CD and seeing where this band goes next.

Of the three new disks I've been listening to this week (Porky Tree, Muse, Arctic Monkeys) this is, so far, my favourite.

3LB
09-18-2009, 06:59 AM
Sounding more like their second disk than their first (a very good thing, IMO) this disk has a few more twists and turns. And while it still has that obvious Arctic Monkey sound, it is more melodic than their previous releases. Each song sounds less like the previous one. I want to say that I even hear a little Elbow influence in this album at times.
Holy cow FA, I was going to say the same thing about the Elbow influence - completely agree here...this is definitely one of the years best for me. I think all I've ever heard from this band was the first disc, which sounded like so much Brit-Indie-chic to me, but this new album has a sophistication about it and what a diverse collection of songs - yer right, no one song is like the next, which means this CD won't wear out its welcome days after you get it. Its nice to hear mature rock that's still relevent in the context of modern music.

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2009, 07:28 AM
...the first disc, which sounded like so much Brit-Indie-chic to me, but this new album has a sophistication about it...

That's an excellent way to describe the difference between their first CD and this one.

If not for the vocalist, I wouldn't guess right away that this is the same band that released Favourite Worst Nightmare. They've come a long way in only three disks. It's quite impressive actually.

So here's an interesting little fact...

I was looking at who produced the CD to see if it's same person who produces Elbow. The Producer for Humbug is Joshua Homme, of Kyuss and Queens of the Stoneage!

Finch Platte
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
Mojo mag had a huge writeup on this band. It's really interesting to hear how they went to Joshua Tree to record this w/ Josh Homme (well, most of it).

Pics here: http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/07/arctic_monkeys_funky_desert_pi.html

Mojo's my favorite mag these days. It's a little pricey ($10), but it comes with a free CD and it's packed w/ well-written articles on bands old & new. Check out last months ish, it's the one w/ uh, uh oh, yeah- the Arctic Monkeys on the front.

http://cover.mojo4music.com/uploads/Images/399x567/633840321193061033.Jpeg

noddin0ff
09-29-2009, 06:04 AM
I'm liking Humbug to, although I'm not 'in the know' enough to cite influences etc. I was surprised how dark or moody the albums sound was. It was also more complex than I was expecting. Seems like a good album for growth potential; I think I'll be liking this one for a while. Maybe a long while.

3LB
09-29-2009, 06:54 AM
FA, if you like this Humbug album, you might check out Phantom Band from Scottland.

poppachubby
09-29-2009, 07:05 AM
These guys are well on their way to having a career with longevity, something that most bands completely lack...excellent album. I was so pleased that they took the risks necessary to escape being forever labeled as indy/punk-pop/etc./etc./etc/. They now fall under the wonderful genre of good rock band, having proved they have the dynamics of one. Been a fan from day one...