Muse - The Resistance [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Muse - The Resistance

3LB
09-17-2009, 02:24 PM
meh...

This album does have its moments. Sounding like a cross twix Queen and ELO's heaviest moments (there were a few) plays like a rock opera, without the narrative. It is a departure from their cornicopia approach of styles in Black Holes & Revelations and sounds even less like Radiohead than that album did. Somewhat Queenish in their copious use of soft piano sonatas intetwined with bombastic guitar and cavernous drums. It gets a tad long in the tooth for anyone wanting those funky glam-rock workouts off of Black Holes. This never really approaches that territory as nothing really rocks. Good for its edgy symph-rock moments, this plays as if it were an extended Invincible suite.

ForeverAutumn
09-17-2009, 02:29 PM
Sounding like a cross twix Queen and ELO's heaviest moments (there were a few) plays like a rock opera, without the narrative. It is a departure from their cornicopia approach of styles in Black Holes & Revelations and sounds even less like Radiohead than that album did. Somewhat Queenish...

I was listening to it at work today and that's exactly what I thought, Queen and ELO, not so much Radiohead.

I haven't decided yet if I like it or not, it's hard to really focus on it at work. But I love the opening song!

Troy
09-17-2009, 06:25 PM
It's a band I need to try. Had one CD didn't like it, but some individual songs I've heard I liked.

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2009, 05:00 AM
It's a band I need to try. Had one CD didn't like it, but some individual songs I've heard I liked.

You might want to try their live disk then, H.A.A.R.P. I didn't really like the sound quality, and I'm just generally not a big fan of live albums, but it's the closest to a 'best of' compilation that you're going to get right now.

I don't know which CD you've heard but I'd say that Black Holes and Revelations is their best up until now. I haven't heard the new one enough yet to form an opinion.

3LB
09-18-2009, 06:48 AM

Black Holes & Revelations is a killer disc. Yes, their Radiohead influence shines through at times, but on BH&R they exhibited a penchant for dabbling in other styles, which they showed amazing dexterity at doing - they definitely got chops. But when you read that the lead singer is similar to to Radiohead's singer, don't think Coldplay - Muse rocks harder than Coldplay ever will and even harder than Radiohead at times, although in a more coherent fashion (they aren't electronic dissonance personafied like Radiohead).

I haven't really given earlier Muse much of a shot, maybe I should...

ForeverAutumn
09-18-2009, 06:58 AM
I haven't really given earlier Muse much of a shot, maybe I should...

I have Showbiz and Absolution. They aren't nearly as good as BH&R, but still worth a listen if you like this band. Where BH&R is strong all the way through, the earlier stuff is a little more hit and miss. I think you'd like Absolution...although it's more Radioheadish than even BH&R is.

I'm digging the Queen influence in the new CD.

3LB
09-22-2009, 06:42 PM
This album does have its moments. Sounding like a cross twix Queen and ELO's heaviest moments (there were a few) plays like a rock opera, without the narrative. It is a departure from their cornicopia approach of styles in Black Holes & Revelations and sounds even less like Radiohead than that album did. Somewhat Queenish in their copious use of soft piano sonatas intetwined with bombastic guitar and cavernous drums. It gets a tad long in the tooth for anyone wanting those funky glam-rock workouts off of Black Holes. This never really approaches that territory as nothing really rocks. Good for its edgy symph-rock moments, this plays as if it were an extended Invincible suite.

I'll say after a few days with this album I pretty much agree with myself here, except that it does rock more than my initial reaction. Perhaps I'll like better given some time, as it is a pretty good album. As far as prog tendencies go, Muse carries it off better than The Decemberists from earlier this year. Some of the songs overstay their welcome but for the most part, its a fun romp for fans of good ol baroque rock.