Who remembers the show - Sanford & son? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Who remembers the show - Sanford & son?

GMichael
09-17-2009, 01:32 PM
A few years back, my dad and I would sit and watch the show Sanford & Son together. It was one of the few shows that we both enjoyed. Way back then, there was an episode where Fred was mad at his son for always calling him Pop. Why didn't he call him dad like all the other kids called their fathers? At the end, Lemont had a touching explanation for why Fred was more of a Pop instead of just a dad. From that night on, I always called me dad Pop. The other day, he asked me why I call him pop instead of dad. For the life of me, I can't remember what Lemont said, only that whatever it was, it was the reason.
So, now I'm counting on you. Does anyone out there remember what the "Big Dummy" had to say to his Pop that day?

bobsticks
09-17-2009, 01:56 PM
You want five across the lips?!

3LB
09-17-2009, 02:37 PM
He said, "the name dad is for whitey" ...or something like that

Smokey
09-17-2009, 09:00 PM
He said, "the name dad is for whitey"

I don’t think you want GM give that reason to his father as to why he call him pop instead of dad :D

GM

I have that episode on DVD and watched it (thanks for reminder). In this episode, Ester adopt a child and Woody (her husband) becomes a dad.

At the end , Fred ask Lamont why he never call him a dad.
And Lamont said: ” I dont know. I suppose, because you are more of a pop than dad.”

And there you have the reason.

Worf101
09-18-2009, 05:36 AM
He said, "the name dad is for whitey" ...or something like that
Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....

Shame on you (wags finger as he gets his belt).

Da Worfster

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 05:52 AM
Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad....

Shame on you (wags finger as he gets his belt).

Da Worfster

Oh dear lord, there's gonna be a whuppin'....

GMichael
09-18-2009, 06:34 AM
I don’t think you want GM give that reason to his father as to why he call him pop instead of dad :D

GM

I have that episode on DVD and watched it (thanks for reminder). In this episode, Ester adopt a child and Woody (her husband) becomes a dad.

At the end , Fred ask Lamont why he never call him a dad.
And Lamont said: ” I don't know. I suppose, because you are more of a pop than dad.”

And there you have the reason.

That was IT?! I can't tell my dad that. I'm going to have to make up a new answer.

How about, "Dad is for whitey." ?? Nah... Doesn't work so well for him. He's whiter than me, and I'm like a frickin' ghost.

Maybe, "because pop is so sweet."?? Oh, hell no! He's about as sweet as a baby alligator.

Or I could try, "Cause you shoot your mouth off all the time." ?? Well, this one fits, but I don't think he would like it much.

Clearly, this is going to take some more thought.

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 06:38 AM
Lol, I say stick with "You want five acros the lips?"....

GMichael
09-18-2009, 06:44 AM
Lol, I say stick with "You want five acros the lips?"....

Sounds great, but even at 76 years of age, he'd still stand up and take a swing at me.

Grumpy is forever. He'll mellow with age MY ASS!

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 06:51 AM
Bob and weave, my friend...bob and weave...

GMichael
09-18-2009, 07:16 AM
Bob and weave, my friend...bob and weave...

Who is Weave?

recoveryone
09-18-2009, 07:47 AM
Good old Sanford & Son, I remember the hoopla was more about the musical score from Quincy Jones (to funky for TV) than the show it self. Red Foxx was already know for his red light comedy and people wanted to see how he would fit in on prime time TV. My Dad (not Pop) grew up with Grady (Whitman Mayo) in Fontana, Ca. I think they are running reruns on "nick at nite" or is it "TV land".

Worf101
09-18-2009, 10:48 AM
Who is Weave?
You bastiche... now I gotta clean my monitor AGAIN!!!!! LOL, that was a goodun!!!!

Da Worfster

Worf101
09-18-2009, 10:51 AM
In the immortal words of Sir Redmond or Foxx!!!!!!

"SHADDUP DUMMY!!!!!"

Da Worfster

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Who is Weave?

My last girlfriend...

bobsticks
09-18-2009, 12:06 PM
My Dad (not Pop) grew up with Grady (Whitman Mayo) in Fontana, Ca. I think they are running reruns on "nick at nite" or is it "TV land".

Dude!!...mang!!...dudemang!!!...hangin' with Grady?! That is a win of epic proportions...

GMichael
09-18-2009, 12:27 PM
You bastiche... now I gotta clean my monitor AGAIN!!!!! LOL, that was a goodun!!!!

Da Worfster

Tanx,

It is my goal to get you to spew on your 'puter at least once a year.:devil: You're safe till 2010 now.;)
Does yer bossman still give you dirty looks at this time?:D

GMichael
09-18-2009, 12:28 PM
My last girlfriend...

Was that her name or her hair style?

dean_martin
09-18-2009, 12:52 PM
Dude!!...mang!!...dudemang!!!...hangin' with Grady?! That is a win of epic proportions...

That'd be awesome! The other night I happened to catch the episode where Grady harvests somebody's weed (probably Rollo's) and prepares a huge salad. Those two local cops come by and eat huge portions. Funny stuff. Grady was the coolest of the cool.

Someone mentioned the theme music. Yeah, it kicked ass and is still instantly recognizable even by younger generations.

theebadone
10-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Really cool show, I think i have seen almost every episode. They rank right up there with the stooges. And fred was from my home town, st. louis. Brings back a lot of good memories.

thekid
10-17-2009, 06:29 AM
Here's a thought.......

Why don't you tell him what you just told us.....

That you always enjoyed the moments the two of you had watching the show and that you enjoyed them so much you wanted to take something away from those times for the both of you. You decided on "Pops" because that episode made you realize how special he is to you....

Now let me get back to my poetry.......
Roses are red ..... Violets are purple.... damn what rhymes with purple?????

GMichael
10-19-2009, 06:18 AM
Here's a thought.......

Why don't you tell him what you just told us.....

That you always enjoyed the moments the two of you had watching the show and that you enjoyed them so much you wanted to take something away from those times for the both of you. You decided on "Pops" because that episode made you realize how special he is to you....

Now let me get back to my poetry.......
Roses are red ..... Violets are purple.... damn what rhymes with purple?????

Nurple....

Rich-n-Texas
10-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Man I used to HATE it when I'd get a Purple Nurple! Hurt like hell!!!

GMichael
10-19-2009, 06:57 AM
Man I used to HATE it when I'd get a Purple Nurple! Hurt like hell!!!
How long ago was that? A few weeks?

Hyfi
10-19-2009, 07:59 AM
I just made a batch of Gorilla Cookies last night.

GMichael
10-19-2009, 08:23 AM
I just made a batch of Gorilla Cookies last night.

Did you use cut outs from Aunt Ester's face?

No offence to anyone out there. You know who you are.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
10-19-2009, 10:36 AM
Who is Weave?

You don't want one of those. They are not good for men, and your dad will give you a sho nuff wuppin if you get one of those. Go natural son, go natural...LOL

GMichael
10-19-2009, 10:40 AM
You don't want one of those. They are not good for men, and your dad will give you a sho nuff wuppin if you get one of those. Go natural son, go natural...LOL

Natural? You mean, in my birthday suite?