Stupid question: bipole, dipole? what does it mean [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question: bipole, dipole? what does it mean

mudo
03-24-2004, 06:21 AM
I am being delivered speakers that are bipole/dipole. I don't really understand what it means? Does it need any special type of wiring?

omikey
03-24-2004, 07:18 AM
I am being delivered speakers that are bipole/dipole. I don't really understand what it means? Does it need any special type of wiring?
Mundo - this is EXACTLY the same question I asked about a week or so ago. I posted this question in the HT forum and got a GREAT response from wasch_24 (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=235757)<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_21982", true); </SCRIPT> who pointed me to this web site: http://www.polkaudio.com/home/faqad...&article=bipole

which will answer you question completely and even provide you with easy to understand graphics demonstrating the difference in where/how you would use bipole versus dipole.

Thanks again WASCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mundo, you can Thank WASCH for this great lead !

omikey
03-24-2004, 07:20 AM
Mundo I find it a bit strange that you would be receiving speakers and you don't understand what they are. How do you know they will satisfy your listening requirements ? Seems to me that you would have completed this research before you bought your speakers.

BTW - they do not require any special wire.

mudo
03-24-2004, 02:23 PM
My brother works at a major national retail store. He is suddenly quitting this week. I simply bought the best speakers that he could get for cheap. They happened to be Polk LSI's .The reason I couldn't complete all the research is I had only 2 days to decide. Now I'm doing the research afterwards. All I had was a HTIB that was less than the regular price of one of these speakers. So I'm sure I'll be impressed. Altough I'm having a difficult time finding an reciever because they don't carry anything that can drive 4 ohm speakers.

wasch_24
03-30-2004, 06:04 AM
Thanks again WASCH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem Mikey, glad it helped.

skeptic
03-30-2004, 06:18 AM
This type of speaker radiates sound both forward like conventional speakers and from the back. Generally, they require that they have space behind them and a wall that is not acoustically dead to reflect their rear firing sound. How much space depends on the design but the answer will be suggested in the manufacturer's installation instructions. And it can be considerable, often 3 feet or more. How live and large a reflective wall? This can also be considerable and the results you get will depend strongly on how well your installation meets these criteria. This is the problem you face when you buy something without understanding in advance what you are getting and how to use it properly. This often leads to frustration and disappointment with the results blaming the manufacturer, the designer, and everyone except the person who really has the responisbility, yourself. Hopefully your room and whoever you live with will allow you to get the best possible performance from this type of speaker. IMO, they sound better than speakers which project all of their sound just forward. Good luck.