computer to TV conversion [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : computer to TV conversion

3LB
09-16-2009, 03:04 PM
I've googled it - there are a few reletively low priced converters with varying results

I've searched the forums with no luck

I am curious if anyone here has tried to use their HDTV as a computer moniter

I have a 52" rear projection TV with component and DVI-D inputs

My computer has only VGA outputs

I've seen some devices that convert VGA computer output to component video, but reviews are sketchy as to what type of television they're using

02audionoob
09-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I tried the VGA connection of a 26-inch Viewsonic LCD HDTV and, as it turns out, it supports only 640 x 480. I tried the DVI connection of a 32-inch Sony Bravia LCD HDTV and it looks good at something like 1280 x 768, or thereabout.

pixelthis
09-16-2009, 08:56 PM
I've googled it - there are a few reletively low priced converters with varying results

I've seen some devices that convert VGA computer output to component video, but reviews are sketchy as to what type of television they're using

I have been using the RGB connection on my Vizio "42" since I got it, completely integrated my computer into the HT.
I recently bought a new computer, and put a 512 ATI video card in it, it has HDMI out, complete with audio, and I currently an getting full res(1080p).
One warning tho, once you get used to a 42" (or 55" ) computer monitor there is no going back.
Most video cards have DVI BTW, just make sure the connectors match.:1:

Rudy Gireyev
09-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Hey 3LB.

Three things.
1. You need to figure out what resolutions your TV supports. 720P or 1080P are possibilities along with some others.

2. You need to figure out what resolutions your video card supports. Then see if they match well to the resolutions of your TV in point 1 above. You'll probably only be able to find one, if any, that matches the best.

3. There are VGA to DVI adapters available, for a very low cost.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.
Rudy

Worf101
09-17-2009, 04:33 AM
Hey 3LB.

Three things.
1. You need to figure out what resolutions your TV supports. 720P or 1080P are possibilities along with some others.

2. You need to figure out what resolutions your video card supports. Then see if they match well to the resolutions of your TV in point 1 above. You'll probably only be able to find one, if any, that matches the best.

3. There are VGA to DVI adapters available, for a very low cost.

Feel free to PM me if you need more help.
Rudy
Everything Rudy said is correct. In real life, several guys in my squadron fly on their puters and output to large screen TV's. If you're doing flight simming the lag is imperceptable, if you're doing "twitch games" it might not be quick enough to keep up with the change in input. If your puter is so old or only has VGA outputs then you might have a problem. Your TV needs to have a DVI-2 input or an HDMI input. Your computer's video card needs to at least have a DVI output, this is easily converted to HDMI via converter cables. VGA outputs have been dropped from most "current" vid cards of any size or strength. Hmmm do you have the make and model of the video card? Your computer specs in this regard are crucial.

Da Worfster

Hyfi
09-17-2009, 07:34 AM
VGA input was a must when I bought my last 2 TVs for this reason.

Once you do get setup, look into PowerStrip.

3LB
09-18-2009, 09:00 AM
Thanks for all the input guys. I've seen some converters for reletively low prices so I may try one from a brick-n-mortar store (so I can return it incase it sucks). I do no gaming whatsoever. I do need to be able to read text clearly.

Looks like my only hope is to try a converter. I have no plans to upgrade TV or computer at this time. The video 'card' is intergrated into the motherboard, so there's no upgrading there.

pixelthis
09-18-2009, 02:17 PM
VGA input was a must when I bought my last 2 TVs for this reason.

Once you do get setup, look into PowerStrip.

VGA was a must have, but IMHO HDMI is much better.:1:

N. Abstentia
09-18-2009, 05:17 PM
Just replace your video card with one that has dual outputs....one DVI and one VGA. Run DVI to your TV and VGA to your monitor. Card shouldn't cost over $50.

pixelthis
09-20-2009, 01:20 AM
Just replace your video card with one that has dual outputs....one DVI and one VGA. Run DVI to your TV and VGA to your monitor. Card shouldn't cost over $50.

HDMI is better, it includes audio.
My card cost less than a hundred bucks, has HDMI.
Amazing how cheap video cards have gotten.
For one thing, everybody is going to laptops(some of which have HDMI outs):1:

winston
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Hi All'....................question about region code:2 DVD VIDEO

my question is?? i locate a few old title's "like the cook the thief the wife & her lover" ever hear of that one, amongst others, anyways i can only get them in region code :2, i don't have a region free player and i do not intend to get one (even for free)

CAN THESE REGION CODE: 2 DVDs BE PLAYED ON MY COMPUTER DVD DRIVE??
thanks.

Rudy Gireyev
09-30-2009, 10:16 PM

my question is?? i locate a few old title's "like the cook the thief the wife & her lover" ever hear of that one, amongst others, anyways i can only get them in region code :2, i don't have a region free player and i do not intend to get one (even for free)

thanks.
Hey Winston.

Sorry I don't have a first hand experience answer for you. However, I'm somewhat certain that it is the DVD Playback software on your computer that controls the Region Code Flag. So if you were to consult the documentation of your DVD Playback software it should be able to answer your question.
I don't believe it is possible to make a computer DVD Drive Region Code aware. Correct me someone if I'm wrong.

Good Luck.
Rudy

winston
10-01-2009, 08:08 AM
thanks a bunch Rudy' i will look into your suggestion,

The reason i ask is.... the people on amazon said that either or computer DVD drive
I'll make a few clicks into the on line manual after work. dose anyone else have any legal response to this Question. thanks Win.

pixelthis
10-02-2009, 12:57 AM

thanks.

YEP.
Go to device manager, there is usually a section in your DVD player info that will allow you
to change your region code.
CATCH IS you can only do it so many times.:1:

winston
10-06-2009, 07:49 PM
....................thanks Rudy" thanks Pixelthis"...........................
My DVD arrive from Amazon last Friday however i decided to try one of my DVD player's First' before i consult the device Manager in the computer, as i have a few DVD player's in the house, it played on the Panasonic DVD S-97 that was panny high end player in late 2005 it has HDMI. man i was so excited that it played the region code :2 disc.

Truth is I have been trying to finish watching this movie over 20 years' it all started when i rented the VHS from the corner video store and the tape got jammed up i run back to the store the guy had only two copy and the other one was out" i tried for a few weeks to get it back but' that never happen and that was the end of it....until a few weeks ago for some strange reason's i remember the name of this movie The Cook The Thief The Wife & Her Lover (this is not kids movie) well that's it i finally watch it and i now have the DVD.

Rudy Gireyev
10-06-2009, 08:00 PM
That sounds great Winston. And I have heard of this movie, and I understand it is pretty good.

Enjoy.
Rudy

pixelthis
10-08-2009, 01:02 PM
....................thanks Rudy" thanks Pixelthis"...........................
My DVD arrive from Amazon last Friday however i decided to try one of my DVD player's First' before i consult the device Manager in the computer, as i have a few DVD player's in the house, it played on the Panasonic DVD S-97 that was panny high end player in late 2005 it has HDMI. man i was so excited that it played the region code :2 disc.

Truth is I have been trying to finish watching this movie over 20 years' it all started when i rented the VHS from the corner video store and the tape got jammed up i run back to the store the guy had only two copy and the other one was out" i tried for a few weeks to get it back but' that never happen and that was the end of it....until a few weeks ago for some strange reason's i remember the name of this movie The Cook The Thief The Wife & Her Lover (this is not kids movie) well that's it i finally watch it and i now have the DVD.

Is that the first DVD you have played on your computer?
Not always the case but sometimes your software will select as default the region of the first DVD you play, which means your region I discs wont play.
If not go to device manager to change it, or maybe they dont mess with region codes
anymore, havent heard anything about them lately:1: