So what's your upgrade plan?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : So what's your upgrade plan??

manlystanley
09-16-2009, 10:04 AM
I was just curious what everyone's upgrade path is. Here' mine, if anyone interested:

---> Get a media server. something like a PC with Creative's Sound Blaster X-Fi Elite Pro. I'd love to store podcasts and get Internet radio.

--> My H/K PM655 left channel seems to get be intermittently weak...... My guess is that it's the preamp section, so I'm trying to get a used pre-amp.

--> I'd like to get a big hummer of a power amp (like 250 watts), so that I can ..........

--> ....... upgrade my speakers to B&W CM9's or 804S's..........

The I'll be at musical nirvana.... Well, maybe not, but that's as far out as my very thin wallet will even let me think.....

Hyfi
09-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Right now, the only things I have on my to-do list would be to take both my VAC pre and Counterpoint amp to RHB Sound Dezign for som upgrades and mods.
http://www.rhbsounddezign.com/

I'm sure there are some older components that need updating.

I also have a Hafler 9180 amp that throws some hum into the speakers. If it is not a result of my Sony flat screen, which they are known to cause, I would like to get that modded also.

I will need a new DVD player soon and am unsure if I should go Blue Ray or not as I have no intention of buying BR disks. I would like to know if-
A BR video is better
and the BR sound is better
and a regular DVD will appear better
Will a BR player playing CDs sound better?

I may also send my Stratos back to Klaus sometime and have it redone to todays specs.

nightflier
09-16-2009, 01:11 PM
Tweaks and fixes:

(1) Getting better bass from my Maggies (anybody know of a mid-bass sub that is less than 8" deep?)
(2) Making the move to BR
(3) Upgrading my Musical Surroundings Phonomena preamp to a ?
(4) A new under-40" LCD TV for a second room
(5) Room treatments, interconnects, speaker cables, cleaner-looking conduits, trying out some Mappleshade tweaks, and a sprinkling little pixie snot in the corners for good measure.

Auricauricle
09-16-2009, 01:17 PM
I'm looking forward to that glorious day when I can finally get my turntable plugged back in....

bobsticks
09-16-2009, 01:59 PM
Tweaks and fixes:

(1) Getting better bass from my Maggies (anybody know of a mid-bass sub that is less than 8" deep?)
(2) Making the move to BR

1) Check out Soundfire or REL. I'd recommend the REL...

2)This is going to sound distinctly un-audiophiliac but check out the PS3. It really is one of the best, most advanced units out there. A lil' too much backround noise for a perfect music server but for movies you, literally, have to spend 2k or more to equal it....mebbe the OPPO...I haven't experienced it yet. Understand that the tech is still relatively new.

mlsstl
09-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm pretty much done right now. I can't think of anything in my main system I'd like to change. I've toyed with the idea of adding a subwoofer, but ultimately decided against it as there isn't really a good place for it in the room and the bass is currently pretty satisfying when the recording calls for it.

So I've just been working on adding music and more music to the collection.

Not a bad spot to be in.

nightflier
09-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Sticks, I haven't heard of soundfire before, but I do like Rel subs. Unfortunately, they don't come that small. I really need something to stick out from the wall no more than my plasma, so 8" or less, although the width and height isn't an issue, just the depth.

bobsticks
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Sticks, I haven't heard of soundfire before, but I do like Rel subs. Unfortunately, they don't come that small. I really need something to stick out from the wall no more than my plasma, so 8" or less, although the width and height isn't an issue, just the depth.

Yeah, I figured that given your parameters. It was the smallest thing that I could think of that was competitive with the Sunfire at that size and pricepoint. Hell, I use a Paradigm Servo so size has never been something that I've had to consider....

....just tryin to help.

Steph
09-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Hyfi,

The Blue Ray that I got upscaled all the regular dvd's picture big time ! The sound is also improved with the unit. It is an LG brand model #BD390 some units are definetly better others so do some research first.....

Hyfi
09-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Hyfi,

The Blue Ray that I got upscaled all the regular dvd's picture big time ! The sound is also improved with the unit. It is an LG brand model #BD390 some units are definetly better others so do some research first.....

I am mainly interested in if it makes CDs sound any better than a plain DVD so it could be used as a universal player if decent enough.

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 03:46 AM
Once my kids are grown and I have more cash, a basic listening room with a Music Hall mmf 5.1. The supporting cast of equipment is unimportant, but obviously of high enough quality to compliment the mmf. (Insert drooling here)

JohnMichael
09-17-2009, 04:28 AM
I recently purchased the Krell S-300i which I am enjoying. Now that I have plenty of power I am thinking about larger speakers with more bass. I have on loan a pair of MA RS6's that are surprising speakers for the money. The combination of power and speaker effeciency is causing the place to rock.

I am still deciding on a phono pre-amp. The CA 640P sounds great with the OM 20 but I would like to remount the Benz Gold. Once I have the new phono stage I will be back to all the benefits of moving coils.

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 04:49 AM
[QUOTE=manlystanley]
--> My H/K PM655 left channel seems to get be intermittently weak...... My guess is that it's the preamp section, so I'm trying to get a used pre-amp.

QUOTE]

...Stan, describe "intermittently weak". I think your problem is probably much more simple than the entire preamp. If you like, I can walk you through some basic maintenance which may solve your problem. At the very least, it will help with the resale value should you upgrade. I have resurrected a 630 and a 930 twin. PM655 is a fantastic machine, the only upgrade you should be seeking is a full cleaning and maybe replacement of any aging capacitance parts. Let me know, we could do it on this thread or PM me...

manlystanley
09-17-2009, 08:06 AM
[QUOTE=manlystanley]
...Stan, describe "intermittently weak". I think your problem is probably much more simple than the entire preamp. If you like, I can walk you through some basic maintenance which may solve your problem.

Wow, Thanks! I've been noticing for sometime that the sound stage seems to collapse. Once when it did it, I went and put my ears to the speakers and heard that the left speaker had much less volume and was real muddy sounding. Next day I re-powered the setup on and it worked like a champ. Should I just get new electrolytic caps? Would that solve the problem??

Also, the sound stage seems to shift a lot. In other words, sometime I need to crank balance to the left to 9:00 O'clock, other times to the right to 3:000 OClock. Then sometimes it works like a champ and sounds amazing for a week.

When I got it, it was full of dust. So I:

--Blew out the dust.
--Pulled out all the boards and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner.
--Sprayed *LOTS* of contact cleaner into the front panel switches and controls.

It also, had a problem that it would take 5+ minutes to turn on, but that problem has disappeared. You are right, for $35 bucks, it *IS* an amazing machine!!! It makes my Denon 687 sound very lame.

Thanks, Stan

jrhymeammo
09-17-2009, 08:27 AM
1) Modify the EAR 834I by Mitch Singerman.
2) Modify the Marantz SA-8001 by the Upgrade Company

JRA

bobsticks
09-17-2009, 08:31 AM
Whattup Jaybo...good to see ya...missed yer craziness in ChiTown...

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=poppachubby]

Wow, Thanks! I've been noticing for sometime that the sound stage seems to collapse. Once when it did it, I went and put my ears to the speakers and heard that the left speaker had much less volume and was real muddy sounding. Next day I re-powered the setup on and it worked like a champ. Should I just get new electrolytic caps? Would that solve the problem??

Also, the sound stage seems to shift a lot. In other words, sometime I need to crank balance to the left to 9:00 O'clock, other times to the right to 3:000 OClock. Then sometimes it works like a champ and sounds amazing for a week.

When I got it, it was full of dust. So I:

--Blew out the dust.
--Pulled out all the boards and cleaned the connectors with contact cleaner.
--Sprayed *LOTS* of contact cleaner into the front panel switches and controls.

It also, had a problem that it would take 5+ minutes to turn on, but that problem has disappeared. You are right, for $35 bucks, it *IS* an amazing machine!!! It makes my Denon 687 sound very lame.

Thanks, Stan

I'm a little short on time right now but I think we should start with the speaker power itself. You need to change out the fuses in order to rule that out. Have a look online and I will too, we'll figure out what fuses you'll need and track them down.

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 09:52 AM
Stan, check it out, chat soon...

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Service%20Manual/PM655%20sm.pdf

bobsticks
09-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Much respect to anyone who's gonna take the time online to help a guy fix his kit. Greenies for you big poppa...

jrhymeammo
09-17-2009, 11:34 AM
Right now, the only things I have on my to-do list would be to take both my VAC pre and Counterpoint amp to RHB Sound Dezign for som upgrades and mods.
http://www.rhbsounddezign.com/

Hyfi,

Have you dealt with RHB before?
I've sent them 3 emails for mods on my VTL and EAR about 6 months ago, and I haven't received a single reply. Perhaps the old man Bob hasn't figured out how to use the Outlook?

Steve from The Great Northern Sound Company on the other hand had responded within 1/2 a day and I thought he was fairly honest with their service. He simply told me not to waste my money on upgrading the VTL. With all things considered, I'd decided to go with Mitch based on his great reputation. Trust factor plays alot when I'm letting a stranger alter my beloved toy.

I would love to hear your experience with RHB.
JRA

manlystanley
09-17-2009, 11:39 AM
Much respect to anyone who's gonna take the time online to help a guy fix his kit. Greenies for you big poppa...

Yah...'Greenies' from me to big poopa!!! err... That's a good thing, right??

I cann't give you any more green blocks...I owe you some when the system lets me.

Stan, check it out, chat soon...

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/Service%20Manual/PM655%20sm.pdf

Poopa, I got that manual, that's how I adjusted the various potentiometers and there biases. I don't think I've got a fuse problem, it works fine at least half the time. I costed out what new caps would cost and I'm looking at about $80 for the caps. Then the time to install. I just don't know if it makes more sense to buy a less old pre-amp and go on from there???

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Hey Stan, I'm at work so quickly...that's something you'll have to decide, sounds like you have your heart set on some new gear. Clean up the HK, bag it and then shelf it. I always have 1 or 2 amps shelfed, you can bring it back out when the time is right.

manlystanley
09-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Hey Stan, I'm at work so quickly...that's something you'll have to decide, sounds like you have your heart set on some new gear. Clean up the HK, bag it and then shelf it. I always have 1 or 2 amps shelfed, you can bring it back out when the time is right.

Hello Poopa,
As always, great advice. And, your right, I got my bonus burning a hole in my pocket...... This audio stuff is almost addicting. I teleworking tomorrow and so I listen to music all day long!

Best Regards,
Stan

poppachubby
09-18-2009, 02:58 AM
Hey Stan, I would still recommend changing out your fuses if you haven't done so yet. I still think your problem exists in the speaker power circuitry. As far as the caps go, never change caps on a quality vintage unit unless there is visible or audible issues. There is a list of maintenance to do before changing out your caps, so keep that 80 in your pocket for now brudda. So what kind of amp do you think you'll buy Stan? I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts? I couldn't be more opposite. Well hey keep me posted and I f you want to do something with the HK let me know.

3db
09-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Upgrade plan??

Hmmmm,, Well I got a Yammy RX-V1800 that decodes all teh latest. I just need to do run the firmware upgrade that will let it pass B than B and W then W.

Have a decent turntable, and Speakers. Even teh sub is pretty good...just doesn't dig into the 20 Hz region though...so I guess that would be my next upgrade.... oh wait don't have a blu ray plaer yet...nix the sub.. I have to get the Blu-Ray player.

manlystanley
09-18-2009, 04:23 AM
Hey Stan, I would still recommend changing out your fuses if you haven't done so yet. I still think your problem exists in the speaker power circuitry.

Hello Poppa, I'll do that with the fuses. Concerning your thought that the amps problem is in the power section, that can very well be. But I was looking for a pre-amp first since they are cheaper.

. As far as the caps go, never change caps on a quality vintage unit unless there is visible or audible issues. There is a list of maintenance to do before changing out your caps, so keep that 80 in your pocket for now brudda.

I never heard about that before. That's good to know. I do my own car maintenance and am always very careful when I flush the cooling system and transmission fluid. I've seen so many cars messed up by the 'super flushes'.

So what kind of amp do you think you'll buy Stan? I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts?

I'm thinking about some ADCOM stuff. Like a ADCOM GFA-555 II. But, I'm just putting out feelers now, seeing if I can get a great deal. My first priority is to put in some cabinets and counter top in the back of my music room, so I can fit all this equipment on it.....

On ebay there is a GFA 555 II with a burnt out right channel. I'm bidding on that and see if I can fix it.

I get the impression you're a power freak, lots and lots of watts? I couldn't be more opposite. Well hey keep me posted and I f you want to do something with the HK let me know.

Will do. I plan on keeping the H/K for a while, but when I'm ready to move on, you're the first in line. Further, since it just cost me $35, you'll get great deal as well.

nightflier
09-18-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey ManlyStanley, ever thought about adding some Manley Labs gear to your setup? You could then change your avatar to ManlyManleyStanley, LOL

poppachubby
09-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Hello Poppa, I'll do that with the fuses. Concerning your thought that the amps problem is in the power section, that can very well be. But I was looking for a pre-amp first since they are cheaper.

I never heard about that before. That's good to know. I do my own car maintenance and am always very careful when I flush the cooling system and transmission fluid. I've seen so many cars messed up by the 'super flushes'.

I'm thinking about some ADCOM stuff. Like a ADCOM GFA-555 II. But, I'm just putting out feelers now, seeing if I can get a great deal. My first priority is to put in some cabinets and counter top in the back of my music room, so I can fit all this equipment on it.....

On ebay there is a GFA 555 II with a burnt out right channel. I'm bidding on that and see if I can fix it.

Will do. I plan on keeping the H/K for a while, but when I'm ready to move on, you're the first in line. Further, since it just cost me $35, you'll get great deal as well.

....a deal!?! Right on Stan! OK you ready for it? Here it comes Stan, big and in your face....a headbang!!!!

02audionoob
09-18-2009, 03:28 PM

I've bought Adcom components with a channel out three times. It was a fuse all three times.

blackraven
09-18-2009, 04:12 PM
I'm looking for a TT, here's my upgrade plan

http://www.needledoctor.com/Clearaudio-Statement-Turntable?sc=2&category=347

:9:

02audionoob
09-18-2009, 06:19 PM

They estimate $7.00 shipping. :skep:

blackraven
09-18-2009, 08:16 PM
I think I'll need a better cartridge to go with that TT, say one that cost about $20,000.
And of course I'll want records made of gold.

thekid
09-19-2009, 02:17 AM
Wait until McIntosh or Hafler gear is sold at the local thrift stores and pair them up with a set of Maggie's I hope to find being sold for $10 on Craigslist because someone thought they were just a pair of old room dividers....... :D

poppachubby
09-19-2009, 02:30 AM
I think I'll need a better cartridge to go with that TT, say one that cost about $20,000.
And of course I'll want records made of gold.

...actually, at the push of a button, 3 midgets come out from inside the TT and put your record on for you, nice feature...

JoeE SP9
09-19-2009, 06:58 PM
manleystanley:
I have the SB X-Fi Pro Elite. I use it with my MSB DAC. The internal DAC is pretty good by itself. I recommend it highly. It's in my music server.

My upgrade path:
My VPI has been sold. I'm looking at either an Avid or an Oracle.
It will be equipped with an SLT tonearm, exact model not yet decided.

manlystanley
09-20-2009, 04:32 PM
manleystanley:
I have the SB X-Fi Pro Elite. I use it with my MSB DAC. The internal DAC is pretty good by itself. I recommend it highly. It's in my music server.

Great advice Joe, Thanks! I'm going to the thrift store to get: keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then I'll get a halfway decent computer. Oh the joys of being cheap...

A question, how do you use it with your MSB? Does the Pro Elite put out digital that you can use? How much does it improve things??

Thanks,
San

Hyfi
09-21-2009, 08:45 AM
Hyfi,

Have you dealt with RHB before?
I've sent them 3 emails for mods on my VTL and EAR about 6 months ago, and I haven't received a single reply. Perhaps the old man Bob hasn't figured out how to use the Outlook?

Steve from The Great Northern Sound Company on the other hand had responded within 1/2 a day and I thought he was fairly honest with their service. He simply told me not to waste my money on upgrading the VTL. With all things considered, I'd decided to go with Mitch based on his great reputation. Trust factor plays alot when I'm letting a stranger alter my beloved toy.

I would love to hear your experience with RHB.
JRA

Yeah, it does seem that email is not their bag, baby!

They do respond to the phone though. My experience is that I first emailed and then followed up with a phone call. Turns out they are about a mile from my house and basically work out of an addition on their own house.

I explained my situation and Bob told me he would look at it and give me rough diagnosis for free but it would take a few weeks due to his backlog. I dropped off my Counterpoint Amp on a Saturday morning. While there I got a first hand look at the work they do and it is top notch.

After two weeks, I called and just gave Bob a nudge and he told me it was in line for the week. Thursday morning I got a call saying it was fixed and did I want new tubes in it. (he was only supposed to diagnose before fixing but I'm sure he got the impression from me that if it was inexpensive to just go ahead. Anyway, with 2 new tubes, a relay unit and some other small part, I picked it up that day for $200.

All in all I had a great experience and they gave me all kinds of information while I was there asking questions.

I give them Two Snaps Up, but use the phone instead of email and you should get a better feeling.

Poultrygeist
09-23-2009, 04:24 AM
Got the SET/single driver fever. Bought the MiniWatt (2.5 wpc) and heard it drive some Hornshoppe Horns. Unbelievable sound! Now I need to sell all my high end powerful gear, inefficient/expensive speakers and move to single driver true fidelity.

s dog
09-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Hdmi denon receiver that can do all the blu-ray audio.

RGA
09-27-2009, 04:35 PM
Upgrades - a whole slew of them are on the way.

Personal System:

1) A new CD player (Either one box or two box(Transport/DAC) - Going to take a couple of years worth of evaluations. As well as an Interconnect. To be used in the review section. The intent at this time is to go with a CDT Ttwo transport and Dac 4.1 Balanced http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue8/audionote.htm

Review Systems
1) Power amplifiers - One set of high powered Tube monoblocks (Possibly from Shengya) - one set of high powered SS monoblocks (possibly from Odyssey) - one set of single ended low powered monoblocks (likely Audio Note)

2) Preamp - 2 different Tube pre-amps possibly from ARC and Audio Note (using the Audio Note M1-Phono in the OTO as an interim)

3) Loudspeakers - Home theater surround rig (completely undecided) - and two other speaker systems for cross-referencing purposes (one of which WILL be an electrostatic panel - King Sound, Sound Labs and Quad top the list currently) and the other is yet to be determined but I'm leaning to Tannoy. A subwoofer will be used to augment the home theater and reference system speaker where needed. Genesis is intriguing in the subwoofer class.

JoeE SP9
09-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Great advice Joe, Thanks! I'm going to the thrift store to get: keyboard, mouse and monitor. Then I'll get a halfway decent computer. Oh the joys of being cheap...

A question, how do you use it with your MSB? Does the Pro Elite put out digital that you can use? How much does it improve things??

Thanks,
San

Sorry, I meant to respond sooner. The X-Fi Pro has an SPDIF output on the card and a digital input and output on the external interface box. The MSB has all the options including up and over sampling. I would compare it with units that cost a lot more. Of course with all the options it's no longer in the budget category. Here in Phila. Staples periodically sells mice and keyboards for under $10 each. Sometimes with a $10 rebate.

Erik1973
10-21-2009, 04:46 PM
Upgrade plan?

Currently, no upgrade plan, at least not for the equipment. I spend a lot of time selecting my current system, balancing sound and budget, spending a lot of time listening to different systems in different stores with recordings I know well. I got the Cambridge Audio 640 v2 series (AMP, CD, DAB radio), and a pair of B&W DM684 speakers. (including cables, delivery, and Danish taxes, I paid 15000 DKK = 2000 EUR = 3000 USD). That might be low compared to what people here can spend, but that's what I could spend.

My current upgrade plan has to do with my music collection, not with the equipment. I have an eye on a CD box with classical guitar music, and some CDs from the Deutsche Grammophon originals series.

As for some stuff I would recommend for the upgrade path for those who like baroque and early (pre-1650) music, have a look at Deutsche Harmonia Mundi: 50 Years (1958-2008) which contains 50 CDs (see others' recommendations at Amazon). It's *extremely* good value for money if this is the kind of music you like. I bought it in a store for 65 EUR, and recommend as always: listen before you buy. Nobody else on the net, and certainly not me, will know whether *you* will like it. But anyway, that's my recommendation for the day.

Kind regards,
Erik

audio amateur
10-22-2009, 01:46 AM

:9:
To me that's no more than an engineering statement. And a morbidly overpriced one...

nightflier
10-23-2009, 02:32 PM
I'm amazed Clearaudio is actually selling these in this economy. Somewhere there's an insurance/oil company CEO who hasn't received the memo that we're in a recession.

RGA
10-24-2009, 06:34 PM
nightflier

This economy doesn't effect people who can afford these items. The economy effects the bottom 97% only. All the people at the top who stole everyone's money may have a bit of jail time - then when they get out have their mega millions waiting for them on their offshore accounts.

frenchmon
10-25-2009, 09:36 AM
nightflier

This economy doesn't effect people who can afford these items. The economy effects the bottom 97% only. All the people at the top who stole everyone's money may have a bit of jail time - then when they get out have their mega millions waiting for them on their offshore accounts.

Who, when ....where???? I've not seen anybody or heard anybodys going to jail....thats news to me.

frenchmon

JoeE SP9
10-25-2009, 01:14 PM
I guess the secret is, don't steal too much or to little. Bernie Madoff stealing a couple hundred billion was a bit much I guess. He's going to prison just as the average two bit criminal does. It would seem the secret is to steal 100 million or so.

Happy Camper
10-25-2009, 01:35 PM
A nice DAC for my headphone rig and maybe a stat hp setup will be my toys til the godson gets it all. Of course technology has a say in that. Just ask everyone having to buy new TVs. I will resist blu ray because within 5 years, technology will do it to us again. I stayed with a 1080i rear projector instead of going for the pretty plasmas (though that was hard). Now they are obsolete. LCD is LCD which is fine for kitchens and bedrooms. I'll re-tube the beast and see what will be in this economy and technological point in time.

YBArcam
10-26-2009, 08:43 PM
My upgrade plan is almost done, it's been a bit of a wild and unorganized ride. I never expected to spend this much money all in this year. It should have been a little more deliberate and methodical, but once you get on a roll it's tough to stop.

Started with:
Denon UDM-50 minisystem - pretty good for what it is I think
Tannoy Mercury F2 speakers - great entry level speakers
Mission MS-8 sub
Energy C-1 speakers (not in use)
Arcam DV135 (bought as a source upgrade and to listen to SACD and DVD-A)

Marantz DV7001 - first buy this year, was meant to be used in a home theatre, with the Arcam for audio. Found I liked the Marantz more than the Arcam, which was too laid back and lacked a sense of timing

Quad 12L actives - I decided to go active speakers as they were at a great price and I didn't need to buy an amp. I actually liked them a lot, but soon after realized I wanted something a little more lush and musical, and I found I liked playing with amps.

Ultralink PGX-300 power conditioner

YBA YA201 - great price on this, couldn't pass it up, priced brand new at the NAD 355 level

Wharfedale Evo2-10 - great price on this, but the fact is I just don't enjoy the sound

At this point I found that what sounds best is the Marantz/YBA/Tannoy/Mission combination.

Rega Saturn - took advantage of the Rega promotion. Traded in the Denon to get $900 off, also traded in the Quad 12L, the Arcam DV135, and the Energy C-1

Cambridge Audio Azur 550T tuner - just got it a couple weeks ago. Nice sound, nice build. Upgrading the antennas to Godar.

Martin Logan Dynamo subwoofer - upgrade on the Mission (the Dynamo is on the way)

This puts us at today, I'm listening to the Rega/YBA/Tannoy/Mission combo right now. Running them all through Atlas cables.

Within the next six weeks:

Will trade in the Wharfedale, the Mission sub, the Marantz DV7001, and the Tannoy F2 for a Cambridge Audio 650BD universal Blu-ray player. It plays DVDs, Blu-ray, CD, SACD, and DVD-A. There's no need to keep the Marantz and then buy a BR player later on. Going to do the trade in and get it right now.

Will buy speakers - either the Monitor Audio RX2, the B&W 685, or the Paradigm Studio 20. May consider ProAc too.

This year has been a little crazy. I bought a lot of gear that in the end I opted not to keep and that costs money. But I guess you learn too, and thankfully I've got a dealer here who accepts trade-ins and pays decent money for them. I never in my wildest dreams figured I'd own a Saturn and YBA (more like Cambridge or NAD, great gear too but one step below) but the deals were too good to pass up. At the end of it all I should have a pretty sweet sounding system that'll last me a good long time (it better!).