Live at the Filmore East Vinyl [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Live at the Filmore East Vinyl

poppachubby
09-15-2009, 07:42 AM
Hey Everybody, I am thinking that for my next collecting challenge, I will buy every Live Filmore East album. Ideally, as I do with all my top shelf stuff, I will try and grab an average condition and a mint of each, with the average copy for listening often and the mint for occasional.

So, that being said, I already have the Allman Brothers and Miles Davis. There's quite a list of these fine albums. I'm wondering what opinions are in terms of the best ones. Also, are there any duds? I doubt it but put your opinions here.

For anyone who is unaware, the Filmore East was a legendary live venue in NYC that hosted a boatload of legendary shows. Alot of these were recorded and have stood the test of time as stand out performances. It's no coincidence, this venue was magical and seemed to bring out the best in every artist who took the stage.

Anyhow fire away and I'll keep everyone posted as to how my collection grows.

These are the most notable:

At Fillmore East (1971) by The Allman Brothers Band
Bless Its Pointed Little Head (1969) by Jefferson Airplane
Band of Gypsys (1970) by Jimi Hendrix
Live at the Fillmore East (1999) by Jimi Hendrix
The Turning Point (1969) by John Mayall
Ladies and Gentlemen… The Grateful Dead: Fillmore East — April 1971 (2000) a four-disc set taken from their five-night stint at the Fillmore East in April 1971
Live at the Fillmore East 2-11-69 (1997) by Grateful Dead
History of the Grateful Dead, Volume One (Bear's Choice) (February 13-14, 1970) (1973) by Grateful Dead
Dick's Picks Volume Four – Grateful Dead Fillmore East 2/13–14/70 (1996), a three-disc set released on Grateful Dead Records
Rockin' the Fillmore (1971) by Humble Pie
Live at the Fillmore East, March 7, 1970: It's About That Time (2001) by Miles Davis, recorded March 7, 1970, in a rare live recording of Davis's so-called '"lost quintet"
Miles Davis at Fillmore: Live at the Fillmore East (1970) by Miles Davis, recorded June 17-20, 1970

Mr Peabody
09-15-2009, 05:32 PM
I really like Humble Pie during the Steve Marriott days.

They released a couple live at Filmore albums on CD with Butterfield Blues but I think they were previously unreleased material, not sure if they came out on vinyl. They weren't quite as good as I thought they might be but decent and guests like Johnny Winter, one of my favorite Blues men by the way, and Al Kooper. I'd have to pull them to see who else.

Interesting direction you've taken. Try to find an original issue of Allman Bros. with the double album that folds out. I picked mine up new out of a bin in the 80's when albums were being dumped and it was a reissue with both LP's stuffed into a single outer sleeve, boy, was I disappointed. The music was still good and that's what counts. For the most part :)

thekid
09-16-2009, 02:29 PM
Like the concept. If you search the interent for a place called "Wolfgang's Vault" you can down load (for a fee) a lot of live shows. If memory serves me they have a special section that has all most every group/show that performed at the Fillmore during its "Golden Age".

As for vinyl I have several LP's that were recorded "Live at the Fillmore". Off the top of my head I have the Allman Bros, Humble Pie and Virgil Fox.

poppachubby
09-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Like the concept. If you search the interent for a place called "Wolfgang's Vault" you can down load (for a fee) a lot of live shows. If memory serves me they have a special section that has all most every group/show that performed at the Fillmore during its "Golden Age".

As for vinyl I have several LP's that were recorded "Live at the Fillmore". Off the top of my head I have the Allman Bros, Humble Pie and Virgil Fox.

....ya been to the vault plenty. I have a sealed Allman Bros and a very good Miles Davis. You might have to help me out if I get hard up kid.................

JoeE SP9
09-16-2009, 06:10 PM
Now you're making me jealous. A sealed copy no less!! My Allman's at Filmore East has been played a lot since 1971.

Mr Peabody
09-16-2009, 06:36 PM
Who's Virgil Fox?

poppachubby
09-16-2009, 07:59 PM
Now you're making me jealous. A sealed copy no less!! My Allman's at Filmore East has been played a lot since 1971.

...yes Joe. I have a copy thats beat to hell also. The sealed copy came from a Salvation Army in Toronto Canada for the huge premium price of 4.99 CDN. Aside from my Parliament Funkadelic mint originals, it's certainly my pride and joy.

thekid
09-17-2009, 04:16 AM
Who's Virgil Fox?

He is a classical organist who gained some popularity back in the 70's. His show at the Fillmore was several Bach pieces combined with a laser light show. The music is pretty good but his commentary is actually so corny as to be cool he just did not know it. My sense is that the crowd was also "chemically" pre-disposed for an even of organ music and lasers........ :smile5:

poppachubby
09-17-2009, 05:12 AM
He is a classical organist who gained some popularity back in the 70's. His show at the Fillmore was several Bach pieces combined with a laser light show. The music is pretty good but his commentary is actually so corny as to be cool he just did not know it. My sense is that the crowd was also "chemically" pre-disposed for an even of organ music and lasers........ :smile5:

...hahaha well put kid, I suspect these chemicals came free with every ticket purchased, every show...

poppachubby
09-18-2009, 02:43 AM
This won't be easy, I went to a couple of vinyl dealers yesterday, and came up with nothing. The other discouraging thing, is as far as re-issue goes, it appears only Neil Young and Allman Brothers are available. I just may have to do this strictly used...

Mr Peabody
09-18-2009, 05:12 AM
You may have to resort to Ebay and Amazon has some used vinyl options, as well does www.amusicdirect.com and www.acousticsounds.com

hifitommy
10-03-2009, 04:39 PM
hey poppa,

i would bet there are record stores aplenty there. i moved away to california in 1970 and dont really know the area anymore but most big cities have some decent record stores. you could pair it with a trip to crystal beach. i remember getting some bad sunburn as a child there. i also remember the COMET.

i wasnt even in to high end audio then, or even mid fi. but here in LA i got into it deep. i even met some of the biggie audio designers like john ulrich, steve mac cormack, and joe grado.

had i stuck in buffalo i might have met dan d'agostino in some of the stereo shops there.

if you ever get to LA, there are many record stores to choose from.

Mr Peabody
10-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Poppa, your location shows London, is that England? I thought you meant that but a post mentions going to Toronto and now I'm not so sure.

hifitommy
10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
london ontario canada.

poppachubby
10-03-2009, 05:18 PM
Hey guys, yes London ON Canada. Peabody I explained this to you in a thread a while back, perhaps you overlooked it, it was a busy thread...ya lots of vinyl shops all over. I was born and raised on Toronto. I met my wife and moved to London about 8 years ago. Tommy I know Buffalo quite well, as you can probably imagine. Still dirty as ever, but not as dirty as LA.

This project has become ridiculously sidetracked. I have been working tons of OT and am quite busy with the family. BTW Tommy, that Nikko looks pretty middle of the road, I think my HK or my Technics can outclass it. Here's a link with better pics...

http://london.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-electronics-NIKKO-TURN-TABLE-AUTOMATIC-RETURN-NP-500-WORKS-NEW-BELT-W0QQAdIdZ159218758

thekid
10-03-2009, 06:40 PM
My great grandfather is buried in Sudbury...
Have a few Canadian (distant cousins) relatives on my Dad's side

poppachubby
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
My great grandfather is buried in Sudbury...
Have a few Canadian (distant cousins) relatives on my Dad's side

Sudbury is where all the nickel mines are, lots of action lately, the workers have been striking...

daviethek
10-12-2009, 02:45 PM
Rockin the Filmore seems to be an expensive LP in nm condition.

http://www.musicstack.com/album/humble+pie/rockin'+the+fillmore

I love the Pie also but IMO the Filmore LP is not technically superior to the CD version. I don't know why this is except that the recording in general is not very good. Of course, few live LP can match ABB Filmore, produced by the great Tom Dowd.

poppachubby
10-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Rockin the Filmore seems to be an expensive LP in nm condition.

http://www.musicstack.com/album/humble+pie/rockin'+the+fillmore

I love the Pie also but IMO the Filmore LP is not technically superior to the CD version. I don't know why this is except that the recording in general is not very good. Of course, few live LP can match ABB Filmore, produced by the great Tom Dowd.

Yes, actually alot of these LP's are hard to find in any decent condition, or at all! This project is going very ssssllllllooooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy.....buying new is not a prospect I care to bother with. At least half of these would just be novelty ownership for me, so to spend $1000.00 seems pointless. I will just take my time and see what comes my way.

Mr Peabody
10-12-2009, 05:47 PM
Yeah, $1k is a bit pricy, think I'd opt for the $15 CD.