Describing the passion of listening to music [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Describing the passion of listening to music

OzzieAudiophile
09-14-2009, 09:14 AM
I thought I'd take the time to explain why I have never stopped looking for more music to extend on my over 1000 CDs worth.

Firstly, over the years, like most of you, I have upgraded my hi fi system, one piece at a time. It's been a costly, but worthwhile adventure. I have been blessed visiting some good reputable hi fi stores which have helped me learn how to "listen to music", you be surprised how much you can pick up when you are not distracted by light. Close your eyes, listen at night, the chill factor just kicks in to a new level.

I do not know if it's funny or sad, that the utmost favourite music of mine demands me to locate, pray for SACD versions of the CDs, upgrade my hi fi again, again, again, to better equipment to enhance my overall listening experience. I consider it a form of maturing my listening to music skills if there actually is such a concept. Maybe to some of you this does make sense.

If it does not, why do some of us invest so much money into outstanding components ? the discs, or LPs we have in our collections are worth playing again and again, to show our friends, to share the experience with dearest ones.

In a nutshell, listening to tracks off the CDs as opposed to any other means, I do hear the subtleties that are not available on any other format. If only all my collection was SACD, I'd gladly save up some spare funds to wait for the odd occasional miracle.

I could literally explain in great detail about most of my favourite tracks, how them move me, how they take me to any place I want, and places I could never go.

In addition, I can describe the subtle lullabies that the background instruments are producing, I can separate every instrument as if it was the only one playing in the track. Then I can reply the track, and separate a different instrument the next time. It's like picking out a specific voice from a crowd. It's something you just learn to do. Well what I mean is not in the literal 100%, but as much filtering as possible.

If you never had the opportunity to listen to your most relaxing (least energetic) music, at night, with the lights off, on your couch, access to the remote, so you do not have to get up, have your play lists set up perfectly so you can escape totally into the music. Close your eyes, and try to dissect each note, each tune, use your mind to search for every subtlety, and find them.

You can use such opportunities to fine tune your current system, work out it's strengths, and weaknesses. Where you need to make your next improvement.

I don't actively go out and search for more artists, types of music to enjoy and get into. It sort of comes to me, and it is not long before I end up buying more CDs. I rather get SACD, but it's not a format to really take off fast enough for my liking. Pity, that extra data on the disc is so worth listening to.

You know we're all complicated creatures, even when we found a favourite track, we will eventually wear it out. We end up finding a new favourite track. The more favourite tracks, the better. The more important it ends up becoming to upgrade. It's a vicious circle, but we like it.

I will list some tracks/artists that you just HAVE to listen to and find out just how heavenly your system actually is.

If you do not like contempory form of opera, you better start liking it.

Emma Shapplin - La Notte Etterna - from the CD Etterna.

You will want to listen to this at night, reasonably loud, with your eyes closed.

Perhaps not the first track from her you should listen to. Try listening to :

Spente Le Stelle from the CD Carmine Meo first !!.

When you've warmed up to her beautiful voice (she is beautiful as well anyway), listen to La Notte Etterna, the fourth track on that CD.

From the start to the end, I don't believe I've ever heard a better way to end a track that this one.

Well you like classical, and opera, Andra Bocelli, Sarah Brightman, you will find Shapplin a delight.

If you do not, then give this CD a go, you will at least find out if your system can handle her voice. You can also get that CD on DVD-Audio :2:

If you wish to thank me for introducing you to Emma Shapplin, send me a PM.

This is the perfect track to bring out the very best of a high end system (with exception of the heavy metal, high demand for high bass form of music).

I'm trying to share my passion, why music is in my blood.

Explain yours.

More importantly, give me feedback on Emma Shapplin on your system, then I will have a good indication on my next upgrade path :p

3LB
09-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Decades ago, I was a gear head, but mostly in my car system. I no longer have what I'd call a good car system (I have an OK stock system) I think I have a fairly decent home system, but not by most citical standards. I just got to the point that I couldn't see spending the caish constantly upgrading equipment that was otherwise getting the job done.

A while back, I picked up a new hobby - listening to music. Not trying to be a dick, but I'd rather listen to music than spending what I think is an inordinate amount of time tweaking set-ups and whatnot. Most audiophiles I know can always point to their favorite tracks by an artist, because they rarely listen to an album the whole way through, and usually, not even an entire track all the way through. They listen to snippets or sections, then its off to another disc. Not saying audiophilia isn't a good hobby, its great to have nice gear. But for me, I either like the music or I don't listen to it; I don't care how it 'sounds' as long as I can hear it. That being said, I always prefer to hear music on as good a playback system as is available, given the situation.

I would love to one own a really nice system like yours or a few other RRers here, but it'd be a one time purchase for me, then I'd only upgrade as stuff became inoperable. I'd rather hear my favorite music on a ****ty radio, than my least favorite music on a 100K system.

OzzieAudiophile
09-15-2009, 12:46 AM
Hi 3LB. It's nice to receive the positive feedback on my system (no pun intended as feedback is a hi fi term lol).

I would prefer to listen to my favourite music on a not so crash hot system than music I dislike on a high end system. However, once you get that hi end bug, and find out what you've been missing out on, it's hard to go back to mediocrity.

I don't mean to make it sound that if it isn't high end it's not worth it. Listening to ones favourite music on a system of an entirely higher level, you know which are your favourite parts of some tracks, and at times you may/will notice extra notes, instruments, background music that simply didn't exist in your system at home.

If the recording is of high quality the playback can be a most enchancing experience.