Building an enclosure for speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Building an enclosure for speakers

audio amateur
09-14-2009, 06:41 AM
I just got a pair of 3-way JBL GTO series 6" by 9"s at a garage sale and need to build a box for them (one for each). These are usually mounted on the rear deck of a car. I'm thinking a simple sealed box design, about 0.4 cubic foot volume. Does this sound ok?

GMichael
09-14-2009, 06:57 AM
I just got a pair of 3-way JBL GTO series 6" by 9"s at a garage sale and need to build a box for them (one for each). These are usually mounted on the rear deck of a car. I'm thinking a simple sealed box design, about 0.4 cubic foot volume. Does this sound ok?
Should work fine.

kexodusc
09-14-2009, 10:35 AM
Does the speaker manufacturer recommend a box size in the product literature? Without knowing any of the T/S parameters of the speaker it's pretty hard to determine acceptable sealed box sizes.

I'm guessing it would work, but work well?

audio amateur
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
Does the speaker manufacturer recommend a box size in the product literature? Without knowing any of the T/S parameters of the speaker it's pretty hard to determine acceptable sealed box sizes.

I'm guessing it would work, but work well?
There lies the problem. Car speaker manufacturers don't seem to have recommended enclosure specs for their speakers nor do they give T/S info...

02audionoob
09-14-2009, 09:44 PM
In around 1980 I bought a pair of 6x9 speakers and a pair of black-painted sealed MDF boxes from a car stereo store. I think they were around 7" H x 9" W x 12" L. The new ones I've seen are sometimes tapered toward the back and aim the speaker forward. Mine aimed the speaker up.

audio amateur
09-15-2009, 02:07 AM
I forgot to mention, this isn't for in car use. Tanx for your answers

atomicAdam
09-16-2009, 07:06 PM
I forgot to mention, this isn't for in car use. Tanx for your answers

Tanx for using Tanx - I love Tanx

harley .guy07
09-30-2009, 06:43 PM
most 6 by 9 inch speakers for car use are setup for infinite baffle applications seeing that most are put in the back deck of cars where there are varying trunk spaces so most manufactures of these speakers know this and build them so they will work in a variance of inclosure sizes. I have seen people put them in boxes that small and get pretty good results. It might even tighten up the bass in comparison to a rear deck of a car.