Splicing: Cardinal Sin or Acceptable Neccessity? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Splicing: Cardinal Sin or Acceptable Neccessity?

poppachubby
09-12-2009, 12:33 PM
I was hooking up some speaks today and ran out of the 18 guage I was using. Yep, you know what happened next...I used a proper 18 guage splice connector w/ crimp and heat seal. I actually hate splicing, it just feels like its not right.

This got me wondering about the technical aspects of splitting. If done "correctly", can the information transfer have the same quality as a full lead? And if there is a perfect splice, what connectors or pieces are required to achieve it.

I am on my way out to my local surplus shop to get more cable now...cheerio...

Mr Peabody
09-12-2009, 03:41 PM
I've heard each splice increases the impedance but if both channels have a splice at least it will be even. I would be surprised if you heard any difference. I guess also there's a factor of less isolation where the splice is and the longer the run the more chance of interference throughout not to mention increase in impedance or possible signal loss.

poppachubby
09-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Those factors are all true Peabody, but what can be done to reduce or eliminate them? A solid and sealed connection will stop corrosion and deterioration. However I'm wondering what opinions are about improving or stopping the impedance factor. Is there soemthing that can be done with a splice to make it seamless?

Luvin Da Blues
09-12-2009, 06:41 PM
If I absolutely had to splice, I would overlap the joint about 1 1/2", twist the conductors neatly together, solder (preferably with silver solder) then heat shrink the joint.

02audionoob
09-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Y'know those plastic caps that you use to splice the house power to a light fixture? I've actually used those and it worked out fine.

Mr Peabody
09-12-2009, 08:31 PM
If you don't have a choice but to splice just do the best job you can and don't worry about it. If you don't hear any problems then you are good.

I always heard the flats in England were small, where you taking those speakers?

E-Stat
09-14-2009, 01:15 PM
If done "correctly", can the information transfer have the same quality as a full lead?
For heaven's sake, go find a Canadian equivalent to Wal-Mart and spend $12.00 on some unbroken 14 gauge wire. The loss of bass impact with 18 gauge wire even in short lengths will be audible. The clear covering will allow you to readily spot oxidation when it occurs.

Cheap Philips 14 Gauge (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2181629)

rw

poppachubby
09-14-2009, 01:25 PM
For heaven's sake, go find a Canadian equivalent to Wal-Mart and spend $12.00 on some unbroken 14 gauge wire. The loss of bass impact with 18 gauge wire even in short lengths will be audible. The clear covering will allow you to readily spot oxidation when it occurs.

Cheap Philips 14 Gauge (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2181629)

rw

hahaha point taken...

bfalls
09-15-2009, 05:41 AM
I think if you connect a bias voltage the insulation and cryogenically treat the conductors you'll be OK:wink5:

Gary Hubbard
09-26-2009, 06:00 PM
I wonder about splicing because I can't afford to rewire my Rega RB 250 tonearm and also put a Techno-weight on it. I am considering cutting into the "el-cheapo" stock wiring right under the base plug and splicing in a decent set of wires to the pre-amp. Any thoughts?

markw
09-26-2009, 06:16 PM
Phono cartridge leads are a different story entirely from speaker leads. The signal level there is entirely too low. You want one run from start to finish with no splices.

Mr Peabody
09-26-2009, 07:21 PM
In addition to what Mark said, that move may not hold well for warranty if any left or resale value.