Recent Rentals and Viewings.. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Recent Rentals and Viewings..

Worf101
09-11-2009, 04:57 AM
Playing "catch up" due to lots of work done on new album which was finally released (whew). Finally had a chance to watch some flickers.

1. "Inglorious Basterds" - A-minus - I reviewed this film in another thread and my choice of words started the "mother of all flame wars". Bottom line is I love it, best Tarrantio in years and would watch it again.

2. "The Changling" - B-minus - Good film, not a great film. Despite her Oscar win in the past I'm NOT sold on Angelina Joile as a dramatic actress. Intriguing story that somehow failed to engage me until the execution scene at the end. I never rooted for someone to hang before or since.

3. "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" - B-minus - Comparisons to this film and "Forest Gump" are spot on and inevitable. Same sort of "sing song" narration over the most improbable and unbelievable stories. B.B. is only slightly less sacchirine than F.G., but only slightly...

4. "Advendtureland" - B-minus - Good "indie" film, unknown cast, good direction, decent story, resonates better with some than it did with me, but enjoyable "coming of age" movie for folks a little younger than me.

5. "Doubt" - A-minus - This was like Ali vs. Forman, Hagler vs. Hearns. Streep vs. Hoffman was a tour de force. Great acting, interesting story and something that made you think. Best performance of the film however was that of Viola Davis as the mother of the first Black student at school. Her performance had me in tears.

6. "Quarentine" - C+ - Better than average popcorn muncher. Soft spot for fast zombies, or infecteds or whatever...

7. "Go Tell the Spartans" - C - Been meaning to see this 1978 potboiler since I was in the Army. Decent story brought down by miniscule budget and no production values. The idea of a firebase with 20 men is ludicrous. You could see Golan, Globus developing their trade mark skills that would carry them onto many more trips back to "da nam".

8. "Miracle at St. Anna" - C - Worst Spike Lee effort in decades. He was a hired gun on this one but the problem wasn't his direction but the schizophrenic script. I read the book, the book is a mysitcal allegory about miracles and faith that defies translation to the screen and this is proved in sad detail. What should never have been tried.

9. "Defiance" - B - Had this film proceeded "Schindlers List" or a million other recent WWII flicks it might have had a chance. I personally was glad to see a film about Jews not taking it in the neck like lambs to the slaughter. In the end Schindler and the Belsky Brothers saved about the same number from the gas chambers, but the Belsky had a lot more fun doing it. What you learned, and what I suspected, was that there was quite a difference of attitude between rurual, working class Jews and the citied intelligensia concerning fighting to stay alive.

10. "Taken" - B-minus - An interesting and enjoyable film with a great job of acting by Liam Neeson who rarely disapponts. While the search for his daughter was riveting how he got out of France after 3 days or rampage, murder and ruin would've made for a much more interesting movie!!!!

Sorry so many at once.

Da Worfster

02audionoob
09-11-2009, 05:23 AM
1. "Inglorious Basterds" - A-minus - I reviewed this film in another thread and my choice of words started the "mother of all flame wars". Bottom line is I love it, best Tarrantio in years and would watch it again.

I saw a thread about this movie on AK and they didn't even attack each other. No one criticized the USA's role in supporting Israel, defended Germans or railed about Jewish movie exec's, either. Really strange.

Mr Peabody
09-11-2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks for the input Worf, it's always good to get some feedback. As you were, I am usually behind on movies as well so it helps me remember and select the next.

I probably liked Changeling a bit better than you. I feel it showed Eastwood can break out of his mold once in a while. I also was glad to see Jolie in a much different type role than I've seen in the past. She did pretty well I thought. Really disturbing story knowing it was based on true events. The boy who confessed I thought could have been a bit more convincing as well as the one selected as the replacement boy from Illinois.

I was maybe a bit less impressed with Taken. Seemed like the main character had it too easy , and had a real "B" movie feel to me. But a good flick nonetheless when wanting a good action movie while giving the brain a rest :)

I haven't seen some of the others yet, so see you are even ahead of some of us :)

nightflier
09-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Worf, I like your selections. I have Benjamin Button, Advendtureland, Doubt, and Miracle on our Target shopping list (I'm only allowed to buy one a week). Thanks for the heads up on Miracle, I was really torn since I'm a big Lee fan but the reviews are unanimously negative. I still might see it, but I certainly won't be buying it. Taken is still sitting on my shelf in the shrink wrap, but I'll get to it soon enough. Changeling is tempting only because it's Eastwood, but I don't know if I could sit through Gia Girl Interrupted meets A Mighty Heart for two hours. Yes she's hot, but not much of an actress.

I do think Defiance deserves a bit more than a B. Yes, seeing Daniel Craig (James Bond in WW2?) and Liev Schreiber (X-man Victor Creed) as brothers was a bit of a stretch. And I certainly would have cast Craig as the one who went off to find fame & glory with the Russians, but other than that it was very well done. The acting, especially the portrayal of the Russian attitudes and the class differences between the Jews was very believable: it was not oozing with drama, just real. The end was a bit Disney-mushy, but it worked, I suppose. I did think the extras on the disk were a bit sparse. I hadn't heard much about this story before and I would have liked to know more about the Bielskis, either as part of the film or in the extras. Ahem, and Davalos certainly doesn't look bad either, but I'm glad they didn't get all lovey-mushy with that part of the story.

Worf101
09-11-2009, 11:54 AM
I saw a thread about this movie on AK and they didn't even attack each other. No one criticized the USA's role in supporting Israel, defended Germans or railed about Jewish movie exec's, either. Really strange.
AK is almost 100 Percent about THE GEAR!!!! Now had I written a review praising or dissing a particular vintage speaker or amp, THEN you'da seen and heard some things. Movies???? Eh they don't care all that much about it over there.

Da Worfster

Troy
09-11-2009, 02:52 PM

Wow, go figure.

The one's I've seen:

Basterds is the best movie of 2009 so far.

The Changeling was dreary and immensely depressing. Not a speck of light in the whole thing. I didn't enjoy it a bit.

I loved Button and think I should swept the Oscars®, not that crappy Hindi TV movie of the week. Impeccable cinematography and tone of longing. Way better'n the nauseating and extremely dated Gump. Fincher is way under rated.

I saw part of St. Anna, but fell asleep. Kinda says it all for me.

I thought Defiance was absurdly unbelievable. I mean, even "Red Dawn" was a more believable and entertaining Partisan flick. Zwick's movies, especially the more recent ones, are over-produced and smarmy. They always make me roll my eyes and question what I'm seeing. The actresses all looked too pretty and clean for living in the woods for years. Where do they keep getting all the Vodka when they can't find a scrap of food? What a gratuitous cliche! Nope, it's bogus hollywood claptrap, a shiny turd.

thekid
09-11-2009, 02:56 PM
Thanks for the reviews. I might have to check some of them out but I tend to only go to movies as part of a family outing with my son. He picks them out and it gives something to talk about when I am on the road.

Smokey
09-11-2009, 10:19 PM
Thanks for review Worf.

If it is possible, could you also rate each disc's picture quality and sound along with movie. I think those factors also play a role when choosig a movie.

Some images from the movie wouldn't hurt either :)

Worf101
09-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Thanks for review Worf.

If it is possible, could you also rate each disc's picture quality and sound along with movie. I think those factors also play a role when choosig a movie.

Some images from the movie wouldn't hurt either :)
Smokey, I love you man but.... you're startin' to annoy the chit outta me!!!!!

First.... I am NOT the post picture Poobah around here... YOU ARE!!!!

Second, I'm just da "did I like it guy" not TLADINY write a thesis on each movie guy.

Third... well... errrm... I'm lazy!!!!

I'll try and do better next time... Ingrate!!!!!

LOL...

Da "Whaddya Want a Cookie?" Worfster

Mr Peabody
09-12-2009, 08:25 PM
I saw Adventureland tonight. I didn't read the box I just picked it up because it was mentioned. When it first started I was like what did I get but as the movie went on it turned out to be good. Brennen was the kid who was Juno's boyfriend in that movie.