Great Deal, Great Sound [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal, Great Sound

poppachubby
09-09-2009, 06:28 PM
Bought this today for $50 CDN. The speakers sound amazing and built extremely solid. Amp has all its bulbs and is real clean...all inputs sound awesome. Avant 715's, Marantz 1515

dakatabg
09-11-2009, 03:42 PM
Well enjoy them! You got some good stuff on a good price!

thekid
09-11-2009, 07:04 PM
Congratulations!

That Marantz is a little bit newer than the 22XX series but looks good.
Not sure i have heard of Avant speakers. What type of drivers do you have in there?

poppachubby
09-11-2009, 07:11 PM
Thanks dak! I actually was buying the Avants for 30 and then after I arrived he rolled out the 1515. Without any prompting he offered it for 20 more. After nearly crapping in my pants, I paid him quickly and split before whatever drugs he had taken could lose their potency...shwing!!

poppachubby
09-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Congratulations!

That Marantz is a little bit newer than the 22XX series but lloks good.
Not sure i have heard of Avant speakers. What type of drivers do you have in there?

kid, these speakers are fantastic. 10 inch driver, so real fat bass tone and super warm mids. They sound alot like a Dynaco...as for the amp yes its great. Bought it to install in the kitchen for my wife, she loves FM radio, I have an old pair of Bose 201 that I might dust off and patch in. Small and discrete for hanging in the kitchen...

02audionoob
09-11-2009, 08:04 PM
Hey, chubbs...Is this your first Marantz?

Here's mine...

poppachubby
09-12-2009, 02:47 AM
Wow!! Beautiful amp noob...I didn't know you had a vintage rig. Your stock just went up!! Gotta love that icy blue glow with the silver. I am considering a Marantz TT, never even heard one, it's a TT-4000. Needs a cart, can you suggest something?

Yes, this is my first Marantz. I have had a couple of dead amps, but I ended up selling them for parts instead of repairing. I also had a crappy 80's model, I forget the model number but I actually gave it to Goodwill. It was so crappy I couldn't bother to try and sell it.

I am Harman Kardon through and through. I currently have an A-401, 630 Twin and a 930 Twin. The twins were both DOA and I've proudly restored them. My old man was HK. I have strong memories of the scent of cigar smoke and my dad hovered over his work table soldering away. He was the best kind of audiophile, the DIY type. Anyhow he swore HK up and down, and passed that onto me.

I love the 1515 which is now discretely installed in my kitchen for my wife's enjoyment. Even she can tell a difference, and that says alot. Who knows, maybe Marantz will be the new sig for me.

Whats at the end of those speaker cables noob? Also, which model is that, is it supposed to have a wood casing? So many questions papa-san...

thekid
09-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Hey, chubbs...Is this your first Marantz?

Here's mine...

Nice rig!

How do you like the TT ? I have a 6150 sitting in the garage that needs a cartridge.
I have that one along with a Dual 622 and a Technics SL-Q300 that all need cartridges but I have been undecided as to which two I want to sink money into to get them up and running for my kids set-ups.

poppachubby
09-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Nice rig!

How do you like the TT ? I have a 6150 sitting in the garage that needs a cartridge.
I have that one along with a Dual 622 and a Technics SL-Q300 that all need cartridges but I have been undecided as to which two I want to sink money into to get them up and running for my kids set-ups.

....the Dual. Hands down.

02audionoob
09-12-2009, 06:54 AM
TT-4000. Needs a cart, can you suggest something?
Whats at the end of those speaker cables noob? Also, which model is that, is it supposed to have a wood casing? So many questions papa-san...

In the world of Marantz, I'm really only into the time period where the turntables started with a "6". I would recommend those. I had a TT-2000 for a while, but I wasn't happy with the looks of it. If I had one still today, I suppose I'd be inclined to put an Audio-Technica AT440MLa cartridge on it...or if I was going thrifty I'd go with an AT95E. The Shure M97XE is also nice on a tight budget. It's a different sound than AT, though. It sort of sounds like the highs are rolled off by comparison to AT, but I actually sometimes like that.

If you want to step up, you could try the Ortofon Super OM cartridges. I think the OM20 could be a really nice choice for the TT-4000. With the "6" turntables, I'd probably lean more toward something like the Ortofon 2M Red or Blue than the Super OM...but the Shure and AT cartridges would still be in the mix.

The Marantz setup in my photo is a 6300 turntable and a 2325 receiver. The receiver is the 125-watt model from the 22xx series. There was a wood case sold for this model, but I think it was bigger than the WC-22 that you often see up for auction. The 2325 was the top of the line for the 22 series in the phase I like best. I think of it as the High Marantz era...1974 to 1976. Just my opinion.

The speakers are Focal Cobalt 806S. They can't handle the kind of power the Marantz puts out, but they sound really nice on it otherwise.

How do you like the TT

I do like the 6300 turntable, although its main advantages are the cosmetics. For sound quality, it's not quite up to the Music Hall MMF-5 sitting beside it. It's probably not quite up to my Technics SL-7, either. But it is a good-looking unit. I used to have a 6100, which was a really nice entry-level belt-drive. I sold it years ago, but I like it rather well, too.