Important question on Sony STR-DA4ES [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Important question on Sony STR-DA4ES

AZHT
03-23-2004, 10:53 PM
I saw this unit as an open box/demo at a local store for $200.00. It is missing the manual and remote. Is this a good deal to pick up? Any idea how much a new remote from Sony would run?

woodman
03-24-2004, 03:19 PM
I saw this unit as an open box/demo at a local store for $200.00. It is missing the manual and remote. Is this a good deal to pick up? Any idea how much a new remote from Sony would run?

My gut feeling about this "deal" is that it's just too cheap to be a worthwhile gamble for you. You're familiar with the age-old expression ... "... if it seems too good to be true - it probably is" aren't you? Well, this appears to be a classic example of same. That's a $1,000 receiver, and even though it's missing the remote and the manual, it ought to be worth more than $200 unless there's something seriously wrong with it. My advice would be to steer clear.

What store is this by the way? Part of a national chain? Or, a one-of-a-kind store?

AZHT
03-24-2004, 03:38 PM
My gut feeling about this "deal" is that it's just too cheap to be a worthwhile gamble for you. You're familiar with the age-old expression ... "... if it seems too good to be true - it probably is" aren't you? Well, this appears to be a classic example of same. That's a $1,000 receiver, and even though it's missing the remote and the manual, it ought to be worth more than $200 unless there's something seriously wrong with it. My advice would be to steer clear.

What store is this by the way? Part of a national chain? Or, a one-of-a-kind store?

It's Ultimate Electronics...a chain and public corporation. They said it has its full factory warranty on it.

woodman
03-24-2004, 04:01 PM
It's Ultimate Electronics...a chain and public corporation. They said it has its full factory warranty on it.

Since it's Ultimate Electronics - a well respected company, that changes the picture a bit. If they'll put that "full factory warranty" (5 years!) in writing for you, then grab it. If a manual and a remote from Sony costs you another hundred, you're still getting one helluva deal. As I said in my previous, that's a $1,000 receiver which cost the dealer more than $600 when they bought it from Sony. It isn't every day that we get the chance to get a (relatively) high-priced piece of consumer electronics for 20 cents on the dollar!

Go for it - and good luck