PS3 update time [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 update time

Sir Terrence the Terrible
09-09-2009, 09:32 AM
For those of you using the PS3 as a BR player firmware 3.0 has been available since September 1st. Personally I think the new XMB screen design is cool.

http://www.us.playstation.com/Support/SystemUpdates/PS3

L.J.
09-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Sir T, can the PS3 output video simultaneously via all connections? I'm thinking you gotta go in and adjust the settings for this right? What about with future update?

I noticed they added this feature somewhat with the audio but I would love video as well.

kexodusc
09-09-2009, 09:48 AM
Anything really significant in this upgrade?

I would love to be able to access and play my FLAC music library on the PS3...I'm surprised PS3 has ignored this request for so long, seems to be very common. Oh well.

09-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Sir T, can the PS3 output video simultaneously via all connections? I'm thinking you gotta go in and adjust the settings for this right? What about with future update?

It can be done L.J. I am not sure that is on their radar though, but I know it can be done via a firmware upgrade.

I noticed they added this feature somewhat with the audio but I would love video as well.

I don't like what they did with the audio side of this. It essentially cuts everything down to 44.1 or 48kHz on all outputs when this is activated. You cannot even bitstream DTHD or DTS MA when it is activated on the new PS3. Me no likey!

09-09-2009, 10:05 AM
Anything really significant in this upgrade?

I would love to be able to access and play my FLAC music library on the PS3...I'm surprised PS3 has ignored this request for so long, seems to be very common. Oh well.

I would have to say no, nothing significant unless you are a gamer.

I am going to be honest, I still haven't figured out how to save my music to the PS3 hard drive.
I can create a film soundtrack from scratch with more than 400 channels of effects, dialog, and score, but cannot figure this out. Go figure......

kexodusc
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
I would have to say no, nothing significant unless you are a gamer.

I am going to be honest, I still haven't figured out how to save my music to the PS3 hard drive.
I can create a film soundtrack from scratch with more than 400 channels of effects, dialog, and score, but cannot figure this out. Go figure......
I don't have it on my hard drive. I can access MP3's and WMA files no problem, but the FLAC and WMA lossless files I have are unreadable. Too bad...I think all it would take is a very simple codec install but....I can play FLAC when I boot a Linux OS on the machine...but that's too much work to switch OS's every time.

Rich-n-Texas
09-09-2009, 10:24 AM
I downloaded version 3 just the other day. The new features were explained, but I forget most of them. Anyway, I like the new XMB screen as well as the info box now, and I like how I can see right away who's online as soon as I scroll over to that menu item.

L.J.
09-09-2009, 11:07 AM
You can stream FLAC with Tversity or PS3 Media Server. They both transcode FLAC files to PCM of course.

kexodusc
09-09-2009, 11:25 AM
You can stream FLAC with Tversity or PS3 Media Server. They both transcode FLAC files to PCM of course.
How do I setup Tversity to transcode to PCM? The settings I saw only included varying levels of compression?

L.J.
09-09-2009, 12:14 PM
How do I setup Tversity to transcode to PCM? The settings I saw only included varying levels of compression?

You using the latest version? I'm using 1.0.0.11

Go to settings, then click transcoder. First line asks, when to transcode? Options are NEVER, ONLY WHEN NEEDED & ALWAYS. I use the only when needed.

L.J.
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
BTW,, I just installed PS3 media server for my bro over the weekend. Didn't have to adjust anything & transcoding FLAC was pretty automatic. Only had to tell the program where the music files were located.

I've used both but like Tversity a bit better. I don't stream much but music & photos, so don't know much about video settings.

kexodusc
09-09-2009, 02:09 PM
cool, thanks LJ, I'll try it out right away

Woochifer
09-18-2009, 11:13 AM
Hey T -

Good to see you back in action bro!

I just pulled down the PS3 update a few days ago, and I was wondering about that new split audio output function. There are times when my wife and parents would rather just send the audio into the TV and not fuss with the AV receiver when watching something (especially when playing old Disney movies with our 2 year old).