Media servers?? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Media servers??

manlystanley
09-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Has anyone thought about setting up a media server? I was thinking that with all the Internet radio and podcasts that one could setup a really nice media server. I don't know where you would get the software through? Does anyone know how the sound quality is?

There seems to be a lot of movie on demand services cropping up, but they all see to be for PC viewing. I wonder if there is any CD or HD resolution download services??

Best Regards,
Stan

manlystanley
09-09-2009, 03:18 PM
So, I've done some checking around and it seems like what I'm looking for is somewhat like a media center: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Media_center

I'm looking for something that has an intuitive interface that would allow me to play high quality podcasts and Internet stations. If I find anything I'll let you guys know.

Best Regards,
Stan

JoeE SP9
09-09-2009, 06:04 PM
Although I can't be too much help with the software, I do have some hardware knowledge. A decent sound card is a must have for "higher" quality audio. I have a media server (audio only) using a Sound Blaster X-Fi Pro. I've been using Songbird to store and play music. Songbird is open source software from the Unix/Linux people. It's free and worth a try. Do a Google search for Songbird.

OzzieAudiophile
09-10-2009, 04:58 AM
ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 Deluxe.

It has a HDMI out and HD 1080p video processing chip.

If home theatre is an option for you, then add this one to your shortlist.

I currently set up my PS3 to play back my music. The convenience factor with the remote cannot be compromised. Reason being when I want to chill back on the couch, I can pick up the controller and ff or rewind to another track, or part of the same track. Playlists obviously a huge convenience, you can create as many as you like, similarly to a PC. The viewing patterns that play and change when you change tracks is pretty cool. You know, about 10% of the time the visual seems to be in perfect sync with the current track you're playing OR it changes to the most suitable visual of earth when the next track starts. It gives the illusion that the PS3 is intuitive in that sense. Pretty impressive.

There are equivalent options for PC which you purchase as an interface with a remote sensor that slides as a 5.25 slot to the front of your tower. Then the remote comes with it. Depends at the end of the day how good the rest of your system is. The sound card makes a huge difference in PC scenarios. However there is a saying, your system is really only as good as it's weakest component. So if you're running a low end $5 pair of speakers, don't expect the total outstanding performance of even the best sound card on the planet.

You can purchase standalone non-PC media centres, however you will probably end up spending more time editing playlists. It doesn't get more convenient and ease of use than the PC option. Plus PCs are easiest to upgrade, you can do it piece by piece and it is easier to budget for. If you need more space because your library expanded, get another hard drive. If you find a more suitable sound card with more bells and whistles, you just upgrade the card. If you want faster hard drive performance, you can simply purchase more hard drives with the right help set up a raid system to stripe the drives. You don't need that for audio playback purposes.

I've yet to find a non PC/PS3 or similar platform option which can do a better job. Example, McIntosh has a media centre. It's a huge expense to replace that, because the unit itself costs far more than a whole PC. At the end of the day you are paying for the brand, plus the parts inside. If the parts inside hold their merit, then shortlist it. Your ears should make the final decision.

You also can consider how flexible you wish the media centre to be. The HDMI 1.4 format will be available more widely soon, you may or may not take that into consideration. If home theatre is not in your plans/scope, then your choices will be less, and easier to make, not to mention a saving of money. If home theatre is an option, then consider what formats you need to be dealing with. CD, DVD, Blu-Ray ? SA-CD ? DVD-Audio ? WMA, mp3, FLAC, ...etc... then when you are putting your system together, which components will your upgrade path and current equipment allow ? Do you need to upgrade to a receiver which will take the HDMI ins ? Will you need to upgrade your CRT tv to LCD, then how many HDMI inputs/outputs would you need ?

Good idea to upgrade one piece at a time, but do a LOT of homework, read reviews, but don't take any 1 particular review to carry more weight than everything else. If you can audition it yourself, it will give you the perspective you need. Don't get a PC part your motherboard/current system cannot support. Consult an IT technician or someone else you can trust to help you make an informed decision.

Some people use their own iPods, connect them to a media centre. It's cost effective, it's of good quality. It's simple in terms of number of components. Worth going into an apple centre or elsewhere to audition them. The experience of Audition, Audition, Audition... will teach you more of what you like and what you don't faster than reading reviews.

By the way what you read should help give you perspective, but it's also worth going out and seeing what's out there. Ask as many questions as you can do the salesperson, it's their job to answer them. If they can't, they they probably won't be able to give you after sales support.

Good luck, you can PM me if you want if you have specific questions.

OzzieAudiophile

Worf101
09-10-2009, 05:28 AM
You have some basic decisions to make concerning what you want your HTPC or media server to do before you question can be answered.

1. Music only?
2. Music and video?
3. Music,video and television?
4. Music, video, televsion AND Blu-Ray?

You can build a HTPC or media server to handle and store all of the above. You can also use TiVo or your cable box to handle the video recording portion of your needs and build a simpler rig. The combinations and options are, quite literally, endless. You can buy HTPC's that'll do all of the above and spend tons or you can try and DIY and face possible frustrations getting all the interfaces to work properly.

I personally am thinking of building strictly a music server for my main rig downstairs. I'd rip all my CD's to a harddrive then get em all out of my living room. There are various programs Windows Media Player amongst others that would then allow me to navigate through all that to select the tunes I want when I want. Still toying with what to do and how though.

Da Worfster

manlystanley
09-10-2009, 06:57 AM
As you all can tell, I'm just getting started with this. I had been looking at the high-end Denon equipment and thinking: "I'd love to have Internet radio, but not for thousands of dollars". We'll I'm just now finding all kinds of options. For example lots of stuff by Sangean:

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-Component-Internet-Streaming-Player/dp/B002CVCWF6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252594310&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Sangean-WFT-1-Internet-Radio-Component/dp/B0017W3WDC/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1252594310&sr=1-22

So these are really reasonable prices. I'd love to get Internet radio and I have heard that it sounds better then HD radio (is that true?).

Anyways, I'll get a bonus next month from work. I'm trying to find out what I want to drop it on.....Oh how I wish I was rich........

E-Stat
09-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Although I can't be too much help with the software, I do have some hardware knowledge. A decent sound card is a must have for "higher" quality audio. I have a media server (audio only) using a Sound Blaster X-Fi Pro.
I took the same approach with my desktop and in-house ceiling mounted speaker system. I went the cheap way and simply use the analog out of the sound card. Are you using a USB or Firewire output to a separate DAC?

rw

poppachubby
09-10-2009, 02:24 PM
Hey Stanley, I have been using a Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy Plat. 24 bit, it has a drive w/ wireless remote. It's not the best out there, but I bought it for a song from a local engineer. I can tell you that its completely thrown my audio world upside down, its amazing. This particular card is only considered entry level pro, I can't imagine how great the X-Fi cards must be. Once I am fully proficient with this one, I will probably upgrade.

Now in terms of your "server", I can't comment. What I can tell you is I have about 6 gigs of top shelf, quality files I use for my portable. With this software, at the push of a button (remote) I can have it start shuffling through. Or, I can select a specific album, artist or genre. To me, this is far better than radio. All of the music was selected by DJ Me. Secondly, I have enough music to never hear the same song twice in any given listening session. Now, if you like your radio rambling at all hours of the day, you may need more songs.

Aside from that Stanley I use the card for digitizing rare and beat up vinyl. I actually bought it for this application vs. a USB turntable. Now I am starting to realize some of the other great features. You will need a kick ace DAC, which I am currently on the market for. I' ve also been playing with different stereo config's to find the best sig for this set-up.

All of this stuff is still new to me but I'm really enjoying it. Find a decent card and go for it Stan!

poppachubby
09-10-2009, 03:17 PM
BTW, for your consideration...

review...http://reviews.cnet.com/sound-cards/creative-labs-creative-sound/4505-9334_7-7029828.html

product...http://support.creative.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?catID=1&subCatID=205&prodID=4846&prodName=Audigy%20Platinum&subCatName=Audigy&CatName=Sound+Blaster

manlystanley
09-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Great insight, chubby. Something I just read was Sony's new Blu-Raqy player will do Streaming video like netflix:

"New Sony Blu-ray Player Integrates Streaming Internet Video for Ultimate Home Entertainment Experience Device to Stream Netflix, YouTube, Slacker, and Other BRAVIA Internet Video Content"

So gt looks like I don't need a media server, the new components will do that function, for a reasonable cost. THe Sony's MSRP is $399 (I think).

Best Regards,
Stan

poppachubby
09-12-2009, 01:38 AM
Great insight, chubby. Something I just read was Sony's new Blu-Raqy player will do Streaming video like netflix:

"New Sony Blu-ray Player Integrates Streaming Internet Video for Ultimate Home Entertainment Experience Device to Stream Netflix, YouTube, Slacker, and Other BRAVIA Internet Video Content"

So gt looks like I don't need a media server, the new components will do that function, for a reasonable cost. THe Sony's MSRP is $399 (I think).

Best Regards,
Stan

I have been avoiding Blu-Ray because I am lazy. Also, I primarily watch old, grainy Kung Fu movies anyways. I don't want to do the research and I'm afraid of what it might mean in terms of my other equipment....I would probably have to upgrade or change a couple of things. It starting to seem inevitable though...

Let me know what you come up with for this server issue, if it comes by way of Blu-Ray, post a couple of links...

Either way give a good card some thought, if you're a music lover you'll dig it...

JoeE SP9
09-13-2009, 05:42 PM
I took the same approach with my desktop and in-house ceiling mounted speaker system. I went the cheap way and simply use the analog out of the sound card. Are you using a USB or Firewire output to a separate DAC?

rw My Soundblaster X-Fi Pro has 3 analog inputs one of which is switchable between line or phono. It has two digital inputs (optical and coax). It also has two digital (optical and coax) outs and stereo analog out. They are all on an external interface that looks like a piece of regular audio gear. The interface has a 1 1/2 meter umbilical that connects to the sound card. I've been using my MSB as an outboard DAC.
Even the analog out from the interface sounds damn good.

manlystanley
09-16-2009, 03:19 AM
Hello Chubby and Joe,
There is so many options! It seems to be me, that the best option to get is the Soundblaster X-Fi Pro as it supports the most current stuff. I also, hear that it is a nightmare to install. How difficult was your sound blasters to install??

Best Regards,
Stan

mlsstl
09-19-2009, 07:06 AM
manleystanley wrote: As you all can tell, I'm just getting started with this. I had been looking at the high-end Denon equipment and thinking: "I'd love to have Internet radio, but not for thousands of dollars".
If you're willing to spend $300 (or less on sale) get a Squeezebox. It'll do the internet radio thing very well and doesn't even require a media server to do that (unless you want to play your own collection.) It just hooks in to your home internet network and will access all the internet radio stations and music services (Pandora, etc.) directly.

It is also easily improved with an outboard DAC and other mods that are available. I don't listen much to internet radio, but I can state the Squeezebox makes for a wonderful way to listen to music. I've got my entire collection on a server in the basement. Another nice thing is the Squeezebox server (to play your own collection) just runs on a data machine so doesn't require any fancy or special hardware to give great results.

I recently added one of their Duet receivers to a second system upstairs in my house and it has access to all the same music as the first unit.

In short, a good product that is available for a very reasonable price that is also easily upgradeable when you wish to improve. And, after experimenting, if you decide you want to handle things in a different way, their products are very easy to resell on eBay or Audiogon.

02audionoob
09-19-2009, 07:17 AM

Best Regards,
Stan

The LG BD370 will stream NetFlix and it's under $200 on Amazon.

recoveryone
09-19-2009, 10:22 AM
I will piggyback off Mlsstl post on the Squeezebox, I have own one (now 2) for 3 years and it was one of the best buy for my 2 channel listening. As for hardware and software the requirements are low:

PC with Pentium chipset min 700mhz speed

Ram 512 (speed not an issue)

HD up to you and your collection of music (only need 1 gig for software)

Video (not a issue) can use on board chipset

Will need hard line connection or wireless, internet not required unless using to Podcast or live streaming of stations.

Basically you can find a computer at a yard sale or old business system that someone is getting to throw out. For the OS you can use from win98 to win7. The Squeezebox itself is a wonderful unit, 24 bit Dac's built in, the option of using RCA, Coax or Toslink output approx 1.5" screen to view playback content, with option to display Artist, Album, Song or several other screensavers, online radio support (SqueezeNetwork.com) monitor favorite stations and playlist on free and pay services. The sound quality is as good as what you feed it. I have ripped CD's @ 384Kps and I would put money down if you could tell the differences from the CD. Now this is for music only no video support or Jpeg.

I have a 900mhz system running winXP and 512K ram (I picked up from my church, they upgraded). I attached a external HD 320 gig to hold my music (2K songs and growing). I placed it in the garage and it connects to my network wirelessly. By using a external HD I can bring it inside and rip music to it with out dragging the whole system inside or deal with the noise and heat that a desktop system makes.

At a cost of $299 retail or $250 or less on Ebay there not much that can surpass this unit in cost ver. quality of sound playback. If you are looking for better they have a reference unit call the transporter @ 2K that may serve your needs. So go to http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/ and check it out. The forums are full of support info.