Seems kinda shady to me... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Seems kinda shady to me...

yogo
09-07-2009, 06:49 AM
You can debate forever about the esoteric qualities achieved by using specialty cabling, green markers for cd's and the many uses of pixie snot.

Here's a new one:

There is a company that sells maple isobase cradles for laptops and other portables and is now claiming that by laying your laptop on their maple isobase that not only will your mp3's sound better but you will, and I kid you not, see starling new color and detail for your videos.
Grandpa would say if your gonna tell a story make it a big one

I imagine this piece of maple wood can not only work on audio and video frequencies but all other frequencies as well.

Imagine what can be done for microwaves. Cook a turkey in 2.5 seconds and the flavor will be eubonic.

Imagine what can be done for vision. Be able to see colors outside of human capability and who has never wanted xray vision.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/isobasecradle.php

recoveryone
09-07-2009, 08:12 AM
I'd be sold if it made fresh syrup lol

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 08:20 AM
You can debate forever about the esoteric qualities achieved by using specialty cabling, green markers for cd's and the many uses of pixie snot.

Here's a new one:

There is a company that sells maple isobase cradles for laptops and other portables and is now claiming that by laying your laptop on their maple isobase that not only will your mp3's sound better but you will, and I kid you not, see starling new color and detail for your videos.
Grandpa would say if your gonna tell a story make it a big one

I imagine this piece of maple wood can not only work on audio and video frequencies but all other frequencies as well.

Imagine what can be done for microwaves. Cook a turkey in 2.5 seconds and the flavor will be eubonic.

Imagine what can be done for vision. Be able to see colors outside of human capability and who has never wanted xray vision.

http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/audioproducts/isobasecradle.php

...that's one special tree, must have come from an Indian burial ground...

markw
09-07-2009, 08:24 AM
huh? eubonic?

blackraven
09-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Mapleshade has been selling snake oil products for a long time. I've bought some music from them and have not been impressed with the quality of the recordings and less impressed with the expensive junk in their catalog.

oaqm
09-08-2009, 01:27 AM
huh? eubonic?

Yeah, it's ebonic euphonics.

markw
09-08-2009, 02:58 AM
Yeah, it's ebonic euphonics.Actually it's an "ebonic" word for "ebonics", but how can something taste eubonic?

But, if you're talking snake oil. how can you leave out Machina Dynamica?

Hyfi
09-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Mapleshade has been selling snake oil products for a long time. I've bought some music from them and have not been impressed with the quality of the recordings and less impressed with the expensive junk in their catalog.

Ever hear the Drink Small disk? A very good recording.

blackraven
09-08-2009, 10:50 AM
I've got the Drink Small CD, I like the music but don't think that the recording is great. I have several others and a few have good quality recordings but most are just ok.

nightflier
09-08-2009, 11:36 AM
I agree that the super-expensive laptop isolation products are a bit over-the-top. That said, some of their products (like their speaker cables) do improve sound a smidgen according to so many reviews. Every time I was on the verge of buying something from them, though, I opted for another product instead. Their interconnects look especially cheap and weak, IMO, unless you opt for the more expensive stuff which then begs the question: why not buy from a trusted known brand instead?

I do have several of their CDs (they don't have much of a selection), and I do think they sound very good. Not only is the playing top notch, but the quality of the recording is also stellar. If only they had a better selection and not just Pierre Sprey's favorite stuff. Their classical selection is just a few CDs.

In each catalog, Pierre offers free upgrade suggestions, and I've tried all of them with little improvement (certainly not the day-and-night descriptions he raves about), so either that's another marketing ploy, or feeds more into the skepticism I already have for Mapleshade. They started doing the maple shelves not too many years ago, and I really think they've gone off the deep end with laptop isolation. I mean c'mon, how much will that really improve the sound of compressed files through a twitchy USB connection? Even with an external DAC (for which you would also need a maple isolation platform, BTW), I doubt the improvement is audible at all.