What do you think of, this, new album? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of, this, new album?

Mr Peabody
09-06-2009, 07:57 PM
As I was walking through the gate late at a concert in which Cheap Trick was the opening band I hear Dream Police wrapping up then they break into a Beatles song. I asked myself with a catalog of songs like Cheap Trick and only maybe 30 minutes to play why are they doing a Beatles cover? Well, I have my answer, their new album is Sargent Pepper Live. So which is it can their ego really be big enough to think they can improve on the Beatles, have they hit rock bottom and trying to capitalize on some one else's material, are they big Beatles fans and just having fun? I've only heard the samples and I don't think they improved on anything and I'm certain this won't be in my collection. Of course, I'm not exactly a big fan of the original either. I know, sacralege, but there you have it. Maybe the next Cheap Trick album should be Thriller :)

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 03:23 AM
Pepper has had its 40th anniversary. I guess as a tribute, Cheap Trick decided to pay homage with a full treatment of the legendary album, live of course.

Firstly, I've never understood the big thing with Cheap Trick. I think your story about walking in late on them says it all. As far as the Beatles tribute goes, I suppose they've run out of ideas at this point in the game. I'm sure its viewed as a "fun" venture from their point of view.

Being a staunch Beatles fan, I can't imagine wanting to see Cheap Trick play the entire Pepper album. If you're a Cheap Trick fan it would have to be even more so. You would want to hear their catalogue, not Lennon and McCartneys. Cheap Trick had a minor hit with an Elvis song a few years back, it sucked too. Perhaps the validation they received with that gave them the steam to launch this crappy project.

I think that bands do these things with the best of intentions. The problem is that, if a band becomes disconnected from their fans or the general listening public, they don't see it for what its worth. The Beatles' catalogue stands alone and is best left that way.

thekid
09-07-2009, 03:31 AM
Ouch!!!!!!

Personally I like CT but they ran out of good original material a long time ago. They have however over the years done some nice covers so taking on the Beatles would not be much of a stretch for them. i think they actually performed some Sgt Peppers material several years ago so maybe they just got around to recording it. My impression has been that when they do a cover it is because they just like the song and they are not trying to "improve it". They have been identified with the Beates in the past and a couple members of the band reportedly played on Lenon's "Doble Fantasy" LP.

ForeverAutumn
09-07-2009, 05:34 AM
As I was walking through the gate late at a concert in which Cheap Trick was the opening band I hear Dream Police wrapping up then they break into a Beatles song. I asked myself with a catalog of songs like Cheap Trick and only maybe 30 minutes to play why are they doing a Beatles cover? Well, I have my answer, their new album is Sargent Pepper Live. So which is it can their ego really be big enough to think they can improve on the Beatles, have they hit rock bottom and trying to capitalize on some one else's material, are they big Beatles fans and just having fun? I've only heard the samples and I don't think they improved on anything and I'm certain this won't be in my collection. Of course, I'm not exactly a big fan of the original either. I know, sacralege, but there you have it. Maybe the next Cheap Trick album should be Thriller :)

At this stage of the game, I doubt that Cheap Trick is trying to capitalize on the Beatles works. When was the last time you heard a CT song on the radio that was recorded after 1988's Lap of Luxury? They have a pretty strong fan base but I doubt that they're making very many new fans these days...unless it's the kids of their old fans.

I remember seeing these guys live in the 80's and they kicked ass. One of the most fun shows I've seen. They're headlining a show nearby in November. Hubby and I have talked about going but it'll probably be a last minute decision as the venue is about 125 kilometres away, in a snowbelt, and on a Wednesday night. So weather will have to be a big factor in our decision. November can be unpredictable.

Mr Peabody
09-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Hold on there Poppa, getting to the concert late was not on purpose. I like the classic Cheap Trick material but was not impressed by the Sgt Pepper thing. I would listen to Cheap Trick over the Artic Monkeys :)

CT also cashed in on their cover of Ain't That A Shame.

Mr Peabody
09-07-2009, 05:50 AM
FA, my daughter, in her early 20's, no doing the math :), likes Cheap Trick. That song I Want You To Want Me got her hooked. She likes the Blink 182 and Breaking Benjamin but she also gets into a lot of Classic Rock. Maybe it depends on where you live, our area gets bombarded with a lot of Classic Rock, and it's "Classic" for a reason, most of the time :), it has staying power.

I guess that works both ways though because I like a lot of the Breaking Benjamin stuff, not much on Blink 182 orr that type of sound though.

poppachubby
09-07-2009, 06:12 AM
No, no...I never presumed you decided to arrive late. However I've never been late for a show that I really want to see. Were you upset about missing Cheap Trick? I mean other than losing some of the value of your ticket? I think for most,in that secnario, if you see em you see em, if not oh well...

Mr Peabody
09-07-2009, 09:22 AM
No, not really, I was some sad my daughter missed them as she likes some of their stuff. I had seen them once before and really wasn't that impressed.

ForeverAutumn
09-07-2009, 12:13 PM
FA, my daughter, in her early 20's, no doing the math :)

Math means nothing. I used to work with a woman who was a grandmother at 43. The age I am now :eek6:. I have a good friend who became a grandfather at 46. AND, I went school with a girl who's oldest kid is 27. She's the same age as me...so you do the math. :biggrin5:

Mr Peabody
09-07-2009, 03:51 PM
OMG, you do realize you just gave your age :)

ForeverAutumn
09-07-2009, 05:54 PM
OMG, you do realize you just gave your age :)

It's not the first time I've mentioned my age around here. I've never understood people who are afraid to give their age or lie about it. Besides, if I'm going to lie about my age, I'm going to tell people that I'm older than I am. Nobody is gonna believe that I'm 30 but they'll all tell me how great I look for 50. :biggrin5:

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2009, 05:19 AM
I was curious about this Cheap Trick album and decided to drop $10 on it. I'm just giving it it's first spin and so far its actually not bad. A more edgy, harder rock, rendition of the original but still very much in line with the original.

The album was recorded with "the LA Philharmonic Orchestra, an Indian music ensemble, and an array of several very special guests"

The liner notes also go on to say that, "In memorial of the loss of loved ones to Prostate Cancer, Cheap Trick and all of the Special Guest Artists are donating their share of all proceeds towards achieving eradication of such disease".

Aside from the music, the cause that they are supporting makes me even happier that I picked up this disk.

Mr Peabody
09-15-2009, 05:31 AM
Thanks, that is good to know and a good cause.

ForeverAutumn
09-15-2009, 06:06 AM
I should probably also mention that this Cheap Trick album was Co-Produced and mixed by Geoff Emerick, who engineered the original Beatles album.

Styx
09-18-2009, 09:34 AM
I've been a fan of CT since "Live at Budokan"........that should date me pretty well. :ihih: Rick and Bun E. are BIG Beatles fans so I think it's more a tribute than "a cashing in on".

Mr Peabody
09-18-2009, 04:15 PM
Styx, did you see ForeverAutumn's post?