Hello Computer Party People... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hello Computer Party People...

poppachubby
09-04-2009, 03:39 AM
Hey all, this is my first post in here as I am not a computer/digital guy. However, in an effort to record some old vinyl, I have just purchased and installed a Creative Labs 24 bit Audigy platinum soundcard w/ drive and wireless remote. Sound cool? Well it is!!

Anyhow, I just posted a small review on it and was surprised to see nothing posted for soundcards. I am REALLY enjoying this product. I was going to buy a USB turntable but instead went this route.

If any of you guys have crazy good soundcards (and I'm sure you do!!) post them to the product list and review them. It might help someone steer clear of the shackles of a USB turntable...just a thought...

Chubbs

Feanor
09-04-2009, 05:00 AM
Hey all, this is my first post in here as I am not a computer/digital guy. However, in an effort to record some old vinyl, I have just purchased and installed a Creative Labs 24 bit Audigy platinum soundcard w/ drive and wireless remote. Sound cool? Well it is!!

Anyhow, I just posted a small review on it and was surprised to see nothing posted for soundcards. I am REALLY enjoying this product. I was going to buy a USB turntable but instead went this route.

If any of you guys have crazy good soundcards (and I'm sure you do!!) post them to the product list and review them. It might help someone steer clear of the shackles of a USB turntable...just a thought...

Chubbs

Chubbs, check it out under my signature ...

poppachubby
09-04-2009, 05:46 AM
Sorry Feanor, am I checking your stereo config? It's pretty awesome man, it seems so well thought out. With this new card I defnitely want to integrate my comp to the rest of my system. Right now, my comp runs to an old Harmon Kardon A-401 and some JBL speaks. It's nice enough since I haven't done too much listening without headphones on my comp. That will change now.

I really know nothing about high fidelity soundcards, is the MAudio Revo comaprable to mine? Dude you should review it, people need to know about this stuff.

Feanor
09-04-2009, 03:14 PM
:17:

Sorry Feanor, am I checking your stereo config? It's pretty awesome man, it seems so well thought out. With this new card I defnitely want to integrate my comp to the rest of my system. Right now, my comp runs to an old Harmon Kardon A-401 and some JBL speaks. It's nice enough since I haven't done too much listening without headphones on my comp. That will change now.

I really know nothing about high fidelity soundcards, is the MAudio Revo comaprable to mine? Dude you should review it, people need to know about this stuff.

Poppa, thanks for you positive comments about my system; just my own opinion, but for a stereo system for the sort of music (acoustic) that I listen to, it's pretty opimized. Just as importantly, it represents very high value for the money.

Some gurus on another forum recommended the M-Audio Revolution 7.1, (now discontinued), as a good entry level sound card. I have never systematically compared it to the Audigy Platinum, but I'd guess there are considerable similarities. Revo 7.1 is a 7.1 channel, 24 bit, 192 kbps card. I haven't tried the multi-channel outputs. I have tried the analog outs for stereo, but prefer the sound of the Assemblage DAC; of course it's the S/PDIF coaxial output from the Revo that feeds the Assemblage.