klipsch WF34 vs Paradigm Monitor 7 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : klipsch WF34 vs Paradigm Monitor 7

flyer6464
09-02-2009, 03:07 AM
The speakers I have in the title I am comparing, any thoughts on which ones are the better choice and what the differences are, I can't find a shop that has these two brands in the store, I listen mostly to jazz and big band.

harley .guy07
09-02-2009, 11:13 AM
The speakers I have in the title I am comparing, any thoughts on which ones are the better choice and what the differences are, I can't find a shop that has these two brands in the store, I listen mostly to jazz and big band.

The Paradigms would be a better choice if it were me. I have heard the Klipsch icon series and was not impressed. They are more of a department store speaker and have drivers that do not match the paradigms as far as sound and quality. But if you listen to big band and jazz and are interested in Paradigm speakers I would check out the reference studio series. they are a upgraded series from the monitor series and have models that are affordable but are somewhat smaller than the Monitor 7's. I happen to run a pair of older Paradigms Monitor 7's and love them but I have went through them and upgraded the crossover components and replaced the origional titanium dome tweeter with a 1 1/8 inch soft dome tweeter that is very much smoother and more accurate. these changes have put my 7's in a different league than what they started in. They stage and image better and are more accurate than any Monitor series speaker that I have ever heard but I have had to take the time,expense and the knowledge of the crossovers and components to take them to the next level. But ass far as your direct question I would pick the Monitor 7's or the WF34's

rob_a
09-02-2009, 02:42 PM
I will agree with Harley on that. my personal feeling is Klipsch are a little bit on the bright side, making them more of a ideal HT speaker. Paradigm in opinion has smoother mids and cleaner and tighter highs, making them a better pick for Jazz and big band. A while back I had the chance to listen to a pair of Monitor 9's with a McIntosh MC2102 hooked to them and man it was heaven!!!! I don't think those speakers ever sounded so good.:21:

RGA
09-02-2009, 03:28 PM
I have not had the chance to listen to the WF series but I would take the RF 62 over any of the paradigm Monitor Series speakers - and the RF series is less than half the price of the WF series.

Klipsch has some hit and miss models - and they can be forward (which would not be bad on big band kind of jazz) and in general a good horn speaker loves jazz instruments. Klipsch is grossly underrated unfortunately because they're sold in terrible stores with terrible electronics in terrible rooms and they don't get much of an opportunity to shine. Still they offer some pluses that some others don't - ease of drive makes them play louder with less power and will allow for future amplifier upgrades (low powered single ended amplifiers (tubes)).

The WF series is supposed to be an upper scale variation of the RF series so really if you're down to two speaker finalists you don't need us - try and get a home audition and pick for yourself.