Dahlquist DQ-10 and McIntosh MC240 ??? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Dahlquist DQ-10 and McIntosh MC240 ???

Exit 37
09-01-2009, 04:13 PM
I've been enjoying my DQ-10's for years since they've been powered by a relatively high-current Carver TFM-35 SS amp pushing 250w per side. I have recently lucked into (basically inherited) a McIntosh MC240 (and a C20 pre) that I'm considering using to power the Dahlquists. The Mac is rated at 40 watts per side of clean tube power, but I'm concerned that this will not be quite enough juice for the DQ-10s to really sing. This is my first foray into any kind of tube hi-fi audio equipment, and I'm wondering if any of you experienced folks would mind commenting on this idea....

The mac is in the shop getting a check-up as I write this, and I have yet to hook it up to anything. The alternative to this rig would be to leave the Dalhquist system alone and, for a 2nd system, get a pair of decent bookshelf speakers such as the B&W 685’s – which are at my budget limit (~$700) – to use with the tube mac pieces and a turntable.

I appreciate your responses!

Happy Camper
09-01-2009, 06:14 PM
Welcome to the boards.

I'd do your second option. What type pf environment will you be using the second set of speakers?

Those DQ-10s need some power to sing. They have like 5-6 speakers per side? I have an audio friend that got his DQs rebuilt last year and can't stop grinning. They do need the brute power of SS.

Exit 37
09-02-2009, 03:31 AM
Thanks. The 2nd system would be in a small room (home office) -carpeted, etc. The speakers would have about 8 feet between them. From what I've read, the B&W 685's would be appropriate for that, and there are many nice reviews on them.

Yeah, the DQ-10's have 5 speakers on each side. I recently had all of the crossover caps in them replaced/upgraded (Regnar/DQ kit), and it made a huge difference. They still soak up every drop of power that I give them, but I love 'em.

I've also been considering trying to get my hands on the well-regarded DQ-LP1 active (preamp) crossover for the Dahlquists. It will let me pull out and redirect the low frequencies to a powered sub and relieve some of the work being done by the MC240. I wonder if that would give me significantly more headroom for the mains?

emaidel
09-02-2009, 04:14 AM

I've also been considering trying to get my hands on the well-regarded DQ-LP1 active (preamp) crossover for the Dahlquists. It will let me pull out and redirect the low frequencies to a powered sub and relieve some of the work being done by the MC240. I wonder if that would give me significantly more headroom for the mains?

Often, when the DQ-10's were exhibited at various consumer "Hi-Fi" shows, they were powered by tube amplifiers. I use an equally high powered and high current solid state amp (the Adcom GFA-5800, at 250 watts/channel) and find it an excellent match with its "brute strengh" that the DQ-10's so readily eat up. Still, there are many who prefer the speaker driven by a tube amp, so your best bet is just to try it out and see what you prefer.

I used to have a DQ-LP1 crossover, connected to a bridged Rotel RB-980BX amp to drive the Dahlquist DQ-1W subwoofer and was very pleased with the results. Still, after the woofer self destructed due to a short that developed in the DQ-LP1, I found the replacement, powered sub that I bought (Definitive Technology SP-15TL+) to be a superior performer by a large margin. That powered sub is no longer manufactured, but there are many other good subs to choose from that have built in crossovers with a far steeper slope than that of the DQ-LP1.

I always ran the DQ-10's full range along with either sub, and preferred it that way. While the woofers in the DQ-10's don't go very low, they blend very well in this manner, and offer the most natural bass sound when operated full range. I recall the people at Dahlquist during the 70's recommending running them full-range too.