Some opinions please... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Some opinions please...

poppachubby
08-31-2009, 04:11 AM
Hey Everyone, I am not a gearhead in the HT/ 2 channel dept. I have tried several mid ranged DVD players and have found that most are inconsistent when it comes to playing burnt movies. Now, I can already here the groans and dissaproval, but I currently use a portable 7 inch player to feed my HT system. Why? Because it reliably plays every format I give it. Any suggestions on mid ranged to high DVD players that will play burnt formats?? Please....go easy on me...

manlystanley
08-31-2009, 04:51 AM
There are some incredible deals on DVD players now. I picked up my Denon 3930 for $260. Check on ubid, and amazon. Companies are unloading these, because of blu ray. Also, with Amazon, you can 'try it' and then if it does not fit your application, send it back.

I buy gobs of stuff through them, and have multiple times sent high-priced stuff back because it did not fit my needs.

Best Regards,
Stan

Mr Peabody
08-31-2009, 05:32 AM
I wasn't overly impressed with the picture quality of an LG I bought but they do seem to play a variety of discs including PAL. The only recorded discs I've played was made on a Sony recorder from a DVR and I haven't had any problems playing those on anything. Some one brought over a bootleg one time and the funny thing out of all the good players I had the only thing that would play it was one of these off brand $30.00 players the kids used in their room. My theory is the cheap one played it because they were supposed to be basically a cheap computer drive in a box and it takes a computer drive to play a computer burnt disc, although I know this isn't always true. I still have to wonder if you burn yours on computer if it isn't the program rather than your players.

poppachubby
08-31-2009, 06:00 AM
Yes, I've been over the whole program issue. I am quite confident that it's a player issue. I have experimented with tons of players via my mates. It's a bizarre thing really and I don't even pretend to understand it. Yes, I have an RCA 7 inch that was purchased for road trips to occupy my 3 year old. That's what I orignially bought it for anyhow, until I realized that it had an application far beyond playing Dora the Explorer.

pixelthis
08-31-2009, 09:08 PM
Hey Everyone, I am not a gearhead in the HT/ 2 channel dept. I have tried several mid ranged DVD players and have found that most are inconsistent when it comes to playing burnt movies. Now, I can already here the groans and dissaproval, but I currently use a portable 7 inch player to feed my HT system. Why? Because it reliably plays every format I give it. Any suggestions on mid ranged to high DVD players that will play burnt formats?? Please....go easy on me...

Oddly sometimes the cheapest players will play more discs more reliably than
more expensive models.
A friend had an APEX that played everything he threw at it.
Mostly its because these cheap players use computer drives.
Drives that became obsolete when everybody wanted a burner on their computer.
So the play only drives were recycled into cheap DVD players, and computer drives have always played all formats better than dedicated standalone drives.:1:

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 03:00 AM
Oddly sometimes the cheapest players will play more discs more reliably than
more expensive models.
A friend had an APEX that played everything he threw at it.
Mostly its because these cheap players use computer drives.
Drives that became obsolete when everybody wanted a burner on their computer.
So the play only drives were recycled into cheap DVD players, and computer drives have always played all formats better than dedicated standalone drives.:1:

Ya...so Pix are you basically saying that sticking with my current set up is not a bad option? I like stanly's advice but don't really have the energy to check every unit under the sun at amazon...

02audionoob
09-01-2009, 04:59 AM
I have a Samsung DVD-F1080 upscaling player that has played every movie I've put it it, including DVD+RW. I wouldn't call it mid to high end, though. It sells for under $100.

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 09:26 AM
a-ha!!! thank-you noob! a make and model, just what I was after...I will certainly buy one, I'm not concerned with anything other than function and the fact that it's an actual HT device. I'll be certain to let you know...

rob_a
09-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Any Panasonic, they play most anything. Sony and Samsung with play most anything also.

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 07:53 PM
actually rob I've had horrible luck with Panny, a shame because I love their DVD players

jvc
09-02-2009, 04:21 AM
My older Pioneer 563a plays all the backups, without any problems. It was my main player, since it's a universal player, and I have a few dvd-a and sacd discs. Then I acquired a Denon 2200 universal player, and made it my main player, and moved the Pioneer to the bedroom. The Denon will not play a lot of the backups, and I end up having to watch them in the bedroom, on the Pioneer. The $600 player is very picky, and the $180 player plays about anything. You would think it would be the other way around.............. :)

actually rob I've had horrible luck with Panny,
Me too. That's why I'll never own anything Panasonic again.

poppachubby
09-02-2009, 04:31 AM
ya JVC those were my findings too, it seemed the better the player, the more fickle. Like I have already said, I had the nice Panasonic with all the features...no good. Personally I love the portable RCA I have. It's great for on the go and can unplug from my system with great ease to be ready for portable use. It has a 3 hour cell life without the adaptor. I am a kung-fu fan which means for certain rare movies, I am forced to copy or download and watch a DVD-R. I am getting to the point where I want something that can stay put and play everything I need it to...I am going to try some Samsung on noob's suggestion

frahengeo
09-02-2009, 05:32 AM
There are some incredible deals on DVD players now. I picked up my Denon 3930 for $260. Check on ubid, and amazon. Companies are unloading these, because of blu ray. Also, with Amazon, you can 'try it' and then if it does not fit your application, send it back.

I buy gobs of stuff through them, and have multiple times sent high-priced stuff back because it did not fit my needs.

Best Regards,
Stan

+1 on the 3930 especially at that price. Another option is an Oppo DV-980H (under $200). Its a model from a couple of years ago, but so is the 3930. Here is an owner's thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=879341

In that thread there should be some good links to a few unbiased/pro reviews, if interested.

I don't own one, but have read good things about it.

poppachubby
09-02-2009, 07:16 AM
+1 on the 3930 especially at that price. Another option is an Oppo DV-980H (under $200). Its a model from a couple of years ago, but so is the 3930. Here is an owner's thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=879341

In that thread there should be some good links to a few unbiased/pro reviews, if interested.

I don't own one, but have read good things about it.

wow geo that player looks great too, clearly i have some research to do now...