Fluance vs Streem vs ? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Fluance vs Streem vs ?

ranthum_runner
03-23-2004, 12:57 PM
I was looking into the Fluance sx-htb and noticed today when i was going to buy them that they are backordered for 6-8 weeks. I don't really want to wait that long if there is something else comparable for apprx the same price ($320 shipped). I've heard good things about streem, another small canadian company. They are about the same price and the specs look pretty close. Are they as good as fluance or are there others that i should be looking at. thanks.

Worf101
03-23-2004, 01:28 PM
I was looking into the Fluance sx-htb and noticed today when i was going to buy them that they are backordered for 6-8 weeks. I don't really want to wait that long if there is something else comparable for apprx the same price ($320 shipped). I've heard good things about streem, another small canadian company. They are about the same price and the specs look pretty close. Are they as good as fluance or are there others that i should be looking at. thanks.

Are just the latest in a group of low level, internet direct speaker manufactureres. For $320, you're getting exactly (maybe) what you're paying for. Big impressive looking speakers that would probably sound pretty "unsophisticated" to many on this board. If that's all you can afford, I'm not gonna piss on your parade. I would rather take that money myself and buy a couple of sets of vintage speakers and "Have" something than buy that cheesey stuff but that's my take. If you must go cheap I'd look at BIC America brand speakers... I have some and KNOW they work.

Da Worfster :D

This Guy
03-23-2004, 02:43 PM
I second BIC. You really get what you pay for, and a little more. I bought one of their center speakers real cheap not really expecting to keep it, but served the job for a solid two years than I upgraded.

-Joey

ranthum_runner
03-23-2004, 09:34 PM
I only stated those because i have heard good reviews and read good things about them. I need a good 5-6 speaker system for cheap. I'm in college and don't have thousands to dump into a sound system. I've got at most 350 shipped for the 5 speaker package. I want something that sounds good for ht, movies and xbox(HALO) and something that i can have for a few years to come. I'm basically a noob to home audio(i know a little more about car audio) and anything would be a step up from the tv speakers. any names, models, places to buy would be much appreciated.
Josh

Bryan
03-24-2004, 06:46 AM
Why not consider the HSU Ventriloquist? It goes for $311 shipped. May wish to look around at used gear too.

ranthum_runner
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
Hey Bryan,
I checked those things out today. they look nice but a little small. very interesting though. are there any other models out there that would be other options? one note, they would also be used to play some music, mostly rap and rock, which i like with plenty of bass. i wouldn't be buying a subwoofer until later this summer( sony sa-wx700 or maybe hsu) so i need some speakers that would provide the base for now. thanks.
Josh

twwesn
03-24-2004, 09:00 PM
I guess if I had only $350 I would buy a pair of bookshelves for the fronts and add on as you get a little more cash. Look at the Axiom M3ti for $275 and the Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s for $328.

Bryan
03-25-2004, 08:13 AM
Perhaps another route would be best. Used pair of either Klipsch or older Cerwin Vega speakers may be what you are looking for. The downside of most bookshelf speakers is they will not give you bass below 65 - 75Hz but they will perform beautifully above that range. Look at your local newspaper and audiogon.com/eBay.com for used speakers. You may find something too good to pass up.

This Guy
03-25-2004, 05:10 PM
here check out these BIC's.

B.I.C. America DV62si

My half sister has these and for the money, they sound nice. I think you can get a pair of these for under $150 or so. Get two pairs of these and you can get their best center channel for a little over $100 (DV62CLR), or get one of their smaller ones (DV52CLR) for cheaper. I think this would be hard to beat for the money, while staying around your price range.

-Joey