Can you recomend a device for me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Can you recomend a device for me?

pconyers
08-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I work as a cable installer and am looking for a unit that will play .mp3’s (preferably some sort of flash media) and AM/FM radio to enjoy while I am out in the field. It needs to have a 3.5 mm jack, an easy to see and use display, somewhat small in size and durable and able to take a bump and be used out in the elements as I work in some pretty hectic conditions at times. Any recommendations for me?

poppachubby
08-30-2009, 02:11 PM
Hey man. There are lots of alternatives for what you're asking. I have an MPIO ML-300 digital player w/FM radio. It has a great heads up display, which is the main reason I bought it. You can actually select the details it shows you. In terms of listenability it's fantastic. Aside from the preset equalizations you can program your own 5 band EQ setting. It powers a 32ohm set of cans quite well and is very efficient on it's single AAA. I think the fact it's on AAA is a benefit to you. Long day in the field you can't be recharging a Nano. It has lots of other features that I'm sure you'll dig also. And finally it's priced extremely well.

Now the only downside is disk size, mine is a 2Gig which for me is great but for a guy in the field, maybe you would need more. I can fit roughly 15-20 albums at 320kbps. Secondly, I've never put it through the ringer in terms of ruggedness. Sure, it can be dropped but for constant outdoor use I don't know if it would fit your needs. I would like to say that it probably would, for the price, worth a try.

Anyhow, I'm first to get at you but I'm sure lots of the guys will have suggestions. Just give it a few days and they'll all roll in and then you can make your decision. Please post what you end up with. The link has a more detailed review.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/mpio-ml-300-2gb-and-ml300---1gb-mp3-players/

Chubbily, Chubbs

pconyers
09-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Yeah but I want one that ALSO plays AM radio. Does anyone make an .mp3 player that ALSO plays AM radio?

poppachubby
09-14-2009, 02:37 AM
AM radio? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaa aaaaaaa.........

Mr Peabody
09-14-2009, 05:51 AM
True, I don't think any include AM. I use a Sansa 4GB (Sandisk) which has FM and EQ. I'm probably not a good judge of the display, I don't see well enough to use any of them. It's been dropped before without any issues. The good thing about this unit is you can buy them almost any where, including Radio Shack.

I have a special needs daughter who carries a MP3 almost every where, it helps her filter potential annoying noises. Any way I have used Creative Zen Stone for her for the simplicity. These things must be durable to put up with the travel and abuse she gives it. They have a plastic case but that doesn't seem to matter. If you found one with most of your needs met I am certain it should hold up to the riggers of your job.