Need upgrade suggestion, looking for a sound... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need upgrade suggestion, looking for a sound...

EYEdROP
08-28-2009, 04:58 PM
Hey all. Im new here and this is my first post. I basically have a pair of Bang & Olufsen BeoLab Penta's paired with a Velodyne Servo F-1500R subwoofer in a 11x13 foot DIY- treated room, strictly 2 channel listening. I really like the B&O's and they were once a $4k flagship. They sound terrific compared to what Ive heard, which isnt much. But there is always better, of course. I love certain things about the B&O, actually pretty much everything but the midrange. It is too colored, cloudy, and has a nasal like sound.

I want to upgrade to something in the $500-$1000 second hand price range, something I can find on craigslist or audiogon. First off consider that it needs to blend well with the big 15 inch sub. Also, they must be active powerd with built in amps as I believe amplifier matching is a waste of time and $$$. They can be full range or book shelf. I want a specific sound that I will try to describe as best I can:

SOUNDSTAGE: The sound cannot change much as I walk throughout the room. That means good frequency response both on and off-axis and A GOOD POWER RESPONSE. I belive this is what makes the dynamics, soundstage, and imaging so good on my B&O's. The room gets filled with equally radiated sound. Even when you walk behind the speakers, the actual volume level and sound quality dosent change much, yet the drivers fire forward. If you have owned speakers like this you will know what I mean.

Bass: DIstortion free, preferbly closed box/sealed type of enclosure. I enjoy the sound of no port hiss and acoustic suspension systems. My F-1500 will take care of everything below 80hz. I just want the mains bass to keep up with the sub and integrate as best as possible, which I know is an enormous task.

Midrange: uncolored with correct timbre and natrual dynamics that arent harsh or cold sounding. Too many speakers are way too midrange dominant (not the B&O) or the midrange will sound detailed, yet artificial. I dont want any hint of warmth or sterile. Just natural and unfatiguing, yet not recessed sounding. I want the "east-coast" type of sound. Laid back, natural, yet detailed vs. the "west-coast" high effeciency drivers with the fatiguing in your face sound. And again, think distortion free.

Treble: Should blend well with mids and not stand out. Should be unfatuiging yet extended and fast.

My B&O do everything I want here. Too bad the midrange drivers are cheap as hell, which made B&O use built in equalization and the best enclosure possible to get it decent. The result is a midrange that sounds cloudy. What were they thinking?

Ive heard someone tell me Mirage or Linn speakers might be good for me. Any other suggestions?

Mr Peabody
08-28-2009, 09:21 PM
The fact that you want built in amplification narows the field a great deal and to fit the other criteria..... If you find what you are looking for don't forget to post back because I'm drawing a blank.

EYEdROP
08-29-2009, 07:05 AM
I have a Yamaha AX-592 stereo receiver. Its not modern, but its got 100wpc of pretty clean power. Mabey something that isnt picky about amplification?

JoeE SP9
08-30-2009, 04:05 PM
If you can drop the self powered option check out some Ohm's. They fit your requirements for sound-staging and power response.