New here just sayin' Hi. [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New here just sayin' Hi.

JJsnoise
08-28-2009, 07:07 AM
I just joined and thought I'd follow the new guy advice by making a 'hello' post.
I've been away from audio enthusiasm for a while. I've been consumed for many years working on my 62 year old tiny fixer-upper house while living in it. I don't recommend it: either fix it up or move in it, don't do both simultaneously. I finally got my living room fully trimmed out and painted. So naturally I started dragging out my old audio stuff. I'm using my PSB Alphas (circa '93) mounted on the living room wall with Omnimounts. Like I said, the house is small so I have to compromise on speaker placement. But it's better than nothing. That was connected to my NAD 705 Reciever from the same period, but I recently replaced that with a Onkyo TX-SR607 7.1 HT Reciever. I'm not sure I like the amp as much. But I definitely love the Audessey Dynamic EQ feature for watching tv. It really levels out the ridiculous volume of commercials. I'm interested in possibly doing some DIY speaker projects now that I finally got my new detached garage built.

Anyway, I gotta get going. I need to finish trimming out the last of the new windows I've installed before the rain comes this evening.

GMichael
08-28-2009, 07:43 AM
Hey JJ,

Welcome to AR. Seems like you have a nice system there. What kind of display are you viewing?

Enjoy that fixer-upper. Gives you another fun hobby.

rob_a
08-28-2009, 08:48 AM
welcome to the forum. I think you will get alot of good ideas in here.
PSB does sound better with NAD in my opinon :smilewinkgrin:

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 09:43 AM
Vellcome, vellcome!

JoeE SP9
08-28-2009, 03:03 PM
Hey there Mr. Noise!

luvtolisten
08-28-2009, 04:34 PM
Hi JJ and welcome. I just moved into a new home myself, which needs some fixing too. Soon everyone at Lowe's will know you by first name, if not already.

JJsnoise
08-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Hey JJ,

Welcome to AR. Seems like you have a nice system there. What kind of display are you viewing?

Enjoy that fixer-upper. Gives you another fun hobby.

Thanks.
I have a 50" Panasonic Plasma TH-50P8X0U on the wall with a fully articulating mount from Monoprice. I used 2" PVC conduit inside the wall running from sole plate to top plate so that I can bring in and distribute various cables to/from the "entertainment center". I removed a chunk out of the conduit that coordinates with the location of the recessed media box in the wall so that I can still pull cables to/from the attic or crawlspace as I need in the future. I also used a in-wall wiring kit to the Panny so that there are no wires hanging like tentacles from my tv. Our Dish 722ViP Satellite reciever is very versatile and I also distribute HD via Component to the cheap Olevia in the bedroom and utilize the UHF TV2 remote for that. It also has a modulated SD signal that I can distrubute via coax to the garage. I also have two 640GB WD External Harddrives that I store overflow HD shows & movies from the satelllite receiver.
Yes, I know it's a 720p display. I was going to get a 1080p Samsung LCD, untill I did some more research. Even with 120hz refresh rates, tests showed that many 1080p LCD displays would produce motion resolution far below 720, whereas 720 plasmas were pretty solid performers in motion resolution. I figured I'd get a well reguarded 720p at $900 for now as opposed to $3K for a display that's significantly better, but not 3x better. I think that LED backlit LCDs will probably be the display technology to watch for solid performance at moderate pricepoints before too long. Then the Olevia moves to the garage and Panny to the bedroom:).

As for the fixer-upper as a hobby, I just want to be finished with this house at this point.
As for hobbies in general, I really need to find less expensive hobbies.
Audio/Video, chaching.
I like building stuff: materials & tools, chaching.
Photograghy, I can't even call myself an amature and yet, chaching.
Therapy at the range: guns, ammo, range fees... chaching.
I'm not sure if my working so much is better for aquiring more funding resouces or simply keeping me from becomming obsessed with a new hobby.

JJsnoise
08-29-2009, 07:50 AM
welcome to the forum. I think you will get alot of good ideas in here.
PSB does sound better with NAD in my opinon :smilewinkgrin:
My wife does not want any of my new ideas to interfere with her 'honey-do' list.
The smile-wink-grin gives me pause for response. Just realized that alot could be made of those acronyms.

Hi JJ and welcome. I just moved into a new home myself, which needs some fixing too. Soon everyone at Lowe's will know you by first name, if not already.
Yeah. I regularly get a nod from at least one person in every department of Lowe's. One cashier gets a regular update on what project I'm working on lately. Lowe's has enjoyed thousands of my dollars.

Happy Camper
08-30-2009, 06:23 PM
Another welcome from a fellow noob. I agree with rob_a that NAD is a better amp with good dynamic speakers like the PSB. The home fixing will come to an end when the kids start sucking you dry.