Hi guys, I'm new to post, could use some advice.......... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Hi guys, I'm new to post, could use some advice..........

Steph
08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Have somehow acquired a few scatches on my turntable dust cover, any suggestions on how to get rid of them or at least make them look less obvious ?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks !

02audionoob
08-28-2009, 04:26 AM
Novus Plastic Polish should do if you need just the right product for the job. For fine scratches, a decent car wax should help.

rob_a
08-28-2009, 09:08 AM
Novus Plastic Polish is good stuff, they have a 3 step system, you can get the hole cover looking like new again. Any sign shop should have them.

Steph
08-28-2009, 11:08 AM
Many thanks guys :-) Have a great weekend !

Stephanie

Mr Peabody
08-28-2009, 09:35 PM
The cheaper way would be to just add more scratches. I don't know about less obvious that way but they'd blend in with the rest any way.

I didn't know that product existed, good answer.

poppachubby
08-29-2009, 01:55 AM
Hi Steph, I've used several polishes and plastic rejuvenators in an effort to revamp old covers. Eventually I gave up, most of the time, there was enough evidence left behind after the polish for me to still notice the blemish. The internet has all kinds of great affordable replacements, then you're back to square one so you can re-scratch it and get frustrated all over again...what make and model are you trying to clean up?

Steph
08-29-2009, 10:06 AM
Hi, it's a Thorens td240 that I've had for about a year, that I'm getting ready to sell and just want to pretty it up a tiny bit. It's just regular wear scratches from cleaning it and such......

Thanks for the interest and help :-)

Stephanie

Mr Peabody
08-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Well, Stephanie I hope you decide to stick around and post with us some more. Did you replace the Thorens or give up on vinyl? If you are still into vinyl what is your current rig?

Steph
08-30-2009, 06:37 PM
Why thank you Mr. Peabody, I do think that probably everybody here is way, way beyond
my level but I am very interested in music and the equipment that can make some good music......

In response to your question, yes I have upgraded to a higher level of turntable, a Rega P5
I got the thorens to get back into vinyl after not doing any since the early 90's and enjoyed it enough to get involved deeper.
The Thorens is a great fully auto player with 3 speeds and it has a very very nice light cherry veneer surround and for the money sounds great. Of course the P5 is much better but it is also more $.

Some other equipment that I have is: Denon 103R cartridge, the latest model of the Jasmine phono amp (solid state but sounds more like a tube.)
A Marantz universal player, a Yamaha 3900 seven channel, Paradigm 80's, a HSU sub.

Thanks for writing, nice to talk with you.
Stephanie

02audionoob
08-30-2009, 07:02 PM
:thumbsup: Based on that list of equipment, Stephanie, you sound like you're right up our alley. Anyone who has a P5 is A-OK in my book.

Mr Peabody
08-30-2009, 07:04 PM
That is quite a table you have now. I'm not familiar with that brand of phono stage. There's nothing wrong with your system. You'd be surprised what you might know or have experienced that might help some one else. I would say though that your turntable quality is a few levels above the rest of your system. Did you buy it new? I've not heard Denon's carts either, what made you decide on that? Decent choice in speakers in my opinion and I hear HSU is very good.

JoeE SP9
08-30-2009, 07:52 PM
A P-5 deserves a high five!!!!:thumbsup:

Steph
08-31-2009, 08:40 PM
Hi Guys,
Yes, the Jasmine phono amp is the 3rd phono that I have tried and like it way better than the others.
Here is the link if your interested in reading about it http://www.dagogo.com/View-Article.asp?hArticle=308

The Denon Cart. I decided to try because of a couple of professional reviewers thought it was a really nice value to sound quality buy......... Has anyone else had one ?

Got to run, talk to you later :-)

Stephanie

Steph
08-31-2009, 08:42 PM
BTW ,thanks everyone for the encouragement on my audio choices :-)

Stephanie

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 02:49 AM
I once looked very hard at a Jasmine but went with a Copland only because I was able to get the Cop for a steal. I never did hear a record through the Jasmine though...

poppachubby
09-01-2009, 03:40 AM
BTW, how does the Jas sound? From your link it would seem that Jasmine amps could possibly save lives, reverse cancer cells, etc. Really though it looks quite impressive. I am currently in a phase of old gear for my vinyl, tube/solid state, stuff to basically make people around here moan and groan. I have to say, seeing your amp and a few others around here is giving me an itch...

Mr Peabody
09-01-2009, 05:29 AM
The Jasmine looks like what we call a "giant killer". If you can spend $600.00 and keep up with a Levinson that's a smart purchase.

bobsticks
09-01-2009, 06:38 AM
Marantz makes great stuff. Period....

Steph
09-02-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Poppachubby,
The Jasmine sounds very smooth all the way through the freq. range, as far as I can tell.
I hear so very much more details in all of the vinyl that I play than I did with other phono amps. that I still own (need to sell them sometime soon....)

It does not sounds harsh like alot of solid state models. It is made by a tube specialized
company and I think they tried pretty hard to make it sound tube-like. I think the one I got was a 3rd revision one.

Well, the Margaritas are kicking in :-) got to go.
Nice talking.

Stephanie

poppachubby
09-02-2009, 03:16 AM
What a bunch of drunken babble!! :out: Kidding, kidding...thanks for the reply. The battle rages on between real tube and simulated tube. I am a bass player also, I try not to extoll too much of that on this site but with bass amps it couldn't be more true. To my ear nothing sounds like a warm set of tubes and if that means some Rice Krispies occasionally in the mix, so be it. :out: The Copland is quite an amp too btw, ever sample any Copland? You sound like you have alot of phono amp experience. What are your top 3 aside from the Jas? Right now I have modified an old Electrohome console record player. It's a solid state model circa the late 60's. Aside from cleaning everything up, I have rewired it, removed the original player for a Pioneer PL-516 (nice fit) and added a 1/4 inch headphone jack. I am evaluating how to improve the amp, I have already replaced any shady looking capacitors with some nice high end Panny's. Eventually I will move on but for now I'm having lots of fun with it. Not to mention it's a beautiful Swedish Walnut finish and looks awesome. I haven't taken a pic yet, maybe I will today...

Steph
09-04-2009, 11:27 AM
Hi, Wow the Copland picture looks gorgeous, I'm very sure it sounds equally great!
No, I have only been back in the vinyl stuff for about 1.5 yrs. but I have had 3 different phono

poppachubby
09-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Hey Steph, ya the Cop is sweet. Hey check out this link for the thread I have, I'm fully immersed in this thing right now. I was slightly ignorant to the applications it could have for phono recording and listening. It's thrown my whole audio world for a loop as I am an analog type. Could be right up your alley too...tell me what you think and if you have any questions ask...http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?p=295252&posted=1#post295252

poppachubby
09-06-2009, 06:53 AM
OK Steph, this is the beast I've been working on, a work in progress but wicked fun, I've added the Celestions since we've chatted and have the whole unit running to the Creative Labs tool. The Sound Blaster then outputs to an old Harmon Kardon amp with some JBL's. Of course, I use the unit itself for listening as well...

Electrohome Tanga-TR-30 Solid State
Pioneer PL-516 TT
HIgh-End Panasonic capacitors and various parts
1/4 inch headphone jack
2- 10 inch Celestion speakers
Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
Plextor Plexwriter 48/24/48A
Lots of Love

Steph
09-09-2009, 09:04 AM
Wow, how cool ! I must say it is probably a bit beyond my comprehension level with computer stuff though. Glad you got it al to work though !
Thanks for sharing :-)

Stephanie