Milton C. Mueller Bookshelf Speakers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Milton C. Mueller Bookshelf Speakers

nightflier
08-26-2009, 01:32 PM
I just purchased a pair of Milton C. Mueller speakers from http://miltoncmueller.com/. They are the discontinued tiny SB8 speakers that were listed on eBay for a while. They have a circular ribbon tweeter in them and wow, what an amazing crispness to the sound. I had never heard ribbon tweeters like that before, so that was a very pleasant surprise. This is my first experience with this type of tweeter, but I have to believe these speakers would work very well with warm-sounding equipment and tubes. I dare say, they have a more extended and clear treble than my Magnepan MG12s, and that's saying a lot.

Current setup is:

Magnum Dynalab FT101 tuner
Older Onkyo CDP
Arcam Black Box DAC
B&K PT3 preamp
B&K Ref.4420 amp
Monster speaker cables and interconnects (nothing fancy)

This is my "darkest" and warmest sounding combination and I had retired these pieces mostly because of that, but with these speakers I am giving them a new chance. I really ought to give these speakers better gear behind them to see what they can do. I also haven't had a chance to test them on one of the digital amps, either, so who knows.

Anyhow, I'm not trying to spam here, but when a manufacturer does something well, I think it deserves mention. For $100, the little SB-8s are hard to beat. Frankly I can't think of anything at even twice that price that can touch them. The rest of the speaker is a bit chitsy, but those tweeters make up for that in spades. As I said, they are discontinued, but there are a number of other models and they can custom build speakers with a choice of drivers, including some of the more exotic stuff out there like the Heil tweeters.

For those looking for a budget speaker that provides great bang for the buck (there's at least one post about that each week, here), these little wonders are a great place to start.

LeRoy
08-26-2009, 04:26 PM
It's always very cool to know about products that I have yet to discover. Happy listening :thumbsup:

LeRoy

yogo
09-12-2009, 06:06 AM
I've bought Neo3PDR tweeters and added them to my home theater setup speakers and with appropriate crossover changes and padding am now enjoying better sound. Now I can't tell if that barking dog in the movie is in the movie or in the back yard. Spooks me sometimes.

Hard to quantify the difference in sound from regular tweeters but it is there.

Glad you like them.