$325 to see Van Morrison? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : $325 to see Van Morrison?

ForeverAutumn
08-25-2009, 12:51 PM
Van Morrison is coming to town. I'm not interested in seeing him but was curious what kind of price he could ask. Top tickets are $325 each! The cheapest ticket is $95.

To put this in perspective, Wilco is playing the same venue. Tickets range from $39.50 up to $45.

Now Wilco may not have the same history as Van Morrison, but their show sold out in ten minutes (and I wasn't able to get tickets :().

3LB
08-27-2009, 06:12 AM
Van Morrison is coming to town. I'm not interested in seeing him but was curious what kind of price he could ask. Top tickets are $325 each! The cheapest ticket is $95.

To put this in perspective, Wilco is playing the same venue. Tickets range from $39.50 up to $45.

With Morrison, you get a legacy, and product recognition. I agree with you; I'd rather see Wilco. But going to see Morrison in person isn't just about his music, its about standing around the water cooler and talking about it for months leading up to the show - everyone knows the name Van Morrison (most couldn't pick him out of a lineup). Going to see Van Morrison sounds like a big deal and lord knows the asking price will reflect that. The cult of celebrity and popularity is an expensive thing.

kexodusc
08-27-2009, 06:59 AM
God knows I've splurged on some overpriced things in my day, but $325 for Van Morrison is outta my reach...that's even worse than the $350 for Madonna or whatever it was.

But when I see the price tag on the hotels some of these artists stay at, I can see why they charge so much...$65,000 per night?
http://www.luxist.com/2009/08/24/worlds-most-expensive-hotel-suites-2009/

thekid
08-27-2009, 03:34 PM
Maybe I'd pay $325 to see Jim Morrison but I understand his stage show is not as lively as it used to be...........
I think though at this point you could book the rest of the Doors for $325

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 08:56 AM
I really like Van and appreciate his contribution to Music (I meant to capitalize that), but 325 smackers is just plain ree-diculous in my view. This seems almost a subtle form of crowd control, letting only the well-heeled and unwitting elite to admire His Greatness....

-Auric (Green as Grinch) Auricle

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2009, 09:34 AM
Well, in hindsight it's not as bad as the $1,100 per ticket that KISS is charging for their Meet 'n' Greet package. :yikes:

I guess they figure that the members of the KISS Army must have grown up to be affluent and productive members of society. :skep:

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 09:35 AM
I guess they figure that the members of the KISS Army must have grown up to be affluent and productive members of society. :skep:

:) Heaven (or Hell) forbid!

markw
08-28-2009, 09:57 AM
I last saw Van Morrison at the Fillmore East in 71 or 72. Dunno what I paid but it was a heckuva lot less and the buzz was free, compliments of the audience in my row. I remember him doing "Brown Eyed Girl" and not too much else.

3LB
08-28-2009, 10:49 AM
This seems almost a subtle form of crowd control, letting only the well-heeled and unwitting elite to admire His Greatness

I didn't know VM drew that kinda crowd ;)

On the other hand, I'd have paid an extra 30 or 40 bucks to see the Scorps finish their set in Seattle back in '88 rather than see it cut short because of some brat. But then again, I can see why parents would give that particular brand of fuktard tickets to anything that got his sorry ass and his loser friends out of their house...I digress...

I wonder if artists are all that aware of the ticket prices and how do they feel about it?

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 10:58 AM
I would like to think that VM et al. have little say in the matter, actually. Now that there are so many middle men and toadies in the way (Ticketmonster, etc.), looks like the musicians are the last things of importance on the agenda.

Then again, when I see the admiring throng of Eric Clapton lovers on the VH1 set, I just wanna take every disc in my collection and throw 'em in the garbage disposal...

thekid
08-28-2009, 01:36 PM
I would like to think that VM et al. have little say in the matter, actually. Now that there are so many middle men and toadies in the way (Ticketmonster, etc.), looks like the musicians are the last things of importance on the agenda.

Then again, when I see the admiring throng of Eric Clapton lovers on the VH1 set, I just wanna take every disc in my collection and throw 'em in the garbage disposal...

Actually I think the artists are very aware of their ticket prices. You have to remember that unlike CD/Record sales where the artist take is negotiated in the contract concert revenue largely goes to the artists who act mostly like independent contractors. Ticketmaster et al are taking their set charges onto the ticket base already established by the act. When you see high ticket prices it is because there is already a high base ticket price.

The revenue that goes to the artist through touring is several times larger than what they get in a record deal. that is why I used to laugh at the Dead Heads who would drone on about how the Dead were all about the music and not about making hit records or money. Bulls*^t! Those guys toured their asses off and were making money hand over fist!! Why do think Jimmy Buffet always ends up on the list year in and year out of top grossing artists even though he has not had a Top Forty hit in years?? The man learned long ago that it is all about putting people's butts in the seats and not ringing up record sales.

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 02:27 PM
'Tis an interesting point you got there, Kid! Far be it for me to make certain assumptions, but now and then one has to wonder....Still, isn't there a ceiling someplace, where musicians like Buffet, etc. sit back and take a much deserved nap in the hammock only to be woken up now and then by some guy who "has to bring the band back together"? While every body's giving "Mr. Buffet" all the lights and action, there's got to be some folks in the back room nudging and pinching other over the deal...

-Mr. Jaded Auricle (apologies to "Sir Alias" Slope Worfster)

thekid
08-28-2009, 04:42 PM
'Tis an interesting point you got there, Kid! Far be it for me to make certain assumptions, but now and then one has to wonder....Still, isn't there a ceiling someplace, where musicians like Buffet, etc. sit back and take a much deserved nap in the hammock only to be woken up now and then by some guy who "has to bring the band back together"? While every body's giving "Mr. Buffet" all the lights and action, there's got to be some folks in the back room nudging and pinching other over the deal...

-Mr. Jaded Auricle (apologies to "Sir Alias" Slope Worfster)

Well I think it depends on the individual and what drives them. Why do some CEO's who are already making more money than God jump companies to make even more money. I think some bands do sit on the sidelines until some accountant tells them they need to either cut back on the toys or produce some income so they rev up the bus and go out and make some money. Some may do it to generate money for their charities or to some degree in U2's case highlight a cause. But I think in a lot of cases it really does come down to greed and ego. I am sure in the rock world there is a little one upmanship going on to see who can sell their "Premium" seats at the highest price.

luvtolisten
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
$325? Yikes! Reminds me of 2 kids selling lemonade. one for 10 cents, the other for $10. The kid selling for $10 reasons, 'but I only have to sell one glass". Be interesting to see if he sells out or not.

ForeverAutumn
08-28-2009, 07:54 PM
$325? Yikes! Reminds me of 2 kids selling lemonade. one for 10 cents, the other for $10. The kid selling for $10 reasons, 'but I only have to sell one glass". Be interesting to see if he sells out or not.

His first show is sold out. A second show was added and tickets went on sale today. As of now $325, $125 and $95 seats are sold out. You can still get tickets for a mere $250 or $195 each. Plus an additional $20 in service charges, of course. :shocked:

Luvin Da Blues
08-29-2009, 11:35 AM
How intimate is the venue he's playing in?

Auricauricle
08-29-2009, 02:36 PM
Sure...jack it all up to make it all "worth it". Hey, if you pay upteen bucks for something, it's gotta be, right? Even if he sounds like dreck? Um, hum....

Unless he's playing in my bathtub, of course!

luvtolisten
08-29-2009, 05:03 PM
I can only remember 4 or 5 songs by him. It has to be kind of a cult thing I guess. Or maybe because of his age, it's his farewell tour. Has to be, but who would have thought Keith Richards woulds still be around? ( I just had to google for an update, he is!)). Sounds morbid but people seem to respond more, just before or just after death. Look at all the ridiculous prices for Micheal Jackson's work on ebay and CL after his death. Myself, I wouldn't pay $3.25 let alone $325..

ForeverAutumn
08-30-2009, 02:00 PM
How intimate is the venue he's playing in?

Massey Hall. An old, historic venue. Great acoustics. About 2700 seats.

poppachubby
08-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Robbery... i always used to say that the only group I would ever pay that kind of money to see would be the Police via a reunion. Will wonders never cease? They reunited, and I couldn't bring myself to pay the hundreds of dollars they wanted for tix. If these guys really cared about their fans, they would ensure reasonable ticket prices instead of partaking in whorish capitalism. I personally won't give them what they want...

luvtolisten
08-31-2009, 02:04 AM
Massey Hall. An old, historic venue. Great acoustics. About 2700 seats.

That may help to explain the cost, depending on the size of the town you're in. The old supply and demand thing. Medium size city outrageous. Large city,like the top 5 in North America, costly but not unheard of.

ForeverAutumn
08-31-2009, 04:25 AM
That may help to explain the cost, depending on the size of the town you're in. The old supply and demand thing. Medium size city outrageous. Large city,like the top 5 in North America, costly but not unheard of.

That's probably very true. The last time that the Rolling Stones were in town, they played a 20,000 seat venue. Top ticket price was about $425. The show was sold out, except for the $425 range. You could still buy those seat on the day of the show. If they had played a 2700 seat venue instead of 20,000, they could have probably got more than $425 per ticket and sold out.

I guess if the fans are willing to pay it, there's no reason that the artist shouldn't demand it. I don't begrudge Van Morrison the high ticket price. I'm a capitalist so if he can pull it off, power to him. I was just surprised that people would actually pay it.