Ebay and the Oppo BDP-83 [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Ebay and the Oppo BDP-83

Worf101
08-25-2009, 09:24 AM
Are people THAT stupid? Folks are "selling" the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player on ebay for 2 to 300 dollars over list on the Oppo site!!!1 Are people that dumb? It's amazing, the highest I saw was $749 with "free delivery" are you chitin' me?

Da Worfster

frahengeo
08-25-2009, 09:57 AM
Are people THAT stupid? Folks are "selling" the Oppo BDP-83 Blu-Ray player on ebay for 2 to 300 dollars over list on the Oppo site!!!1 Are people that dumb? It's amazing, the highest I saw was $749 with "free delivery" are you chitin' me?

Da Worfster

I saw something similar. A company selling a $500 speaker for $799. Its not discontinued nor does it seem to be in high demand.(???)

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-25-2009, 12:06 PM

Da Worfster

Ya angry Klingon, there is a big demand for this player, and Oppo cannot keep up with it. For those who want it now, those fools are willing to pay the premium. I was smart, I used my name and my son's name to get on the beta list. I got my players early!

pixelthis
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Ya angry Klingon, there is a big demand for this player, and Oppo cannot keep up with it. For those who want it now, those fools are willing to pay the premium. I was smart, I used my name and my son's name to get on the beta list. I got my players early!

Thats great, you can be a pioneer.
You know, one of those guys with arrows sticking outta his back.:1:

Worf101
08-26-2009, 05:21 AM
I knew they'd be popular but NOT that popular. I had the same opportunity to pre-order. I didn't cause I wanted to make sure the production version was "right and tight" and see if there would be a discount once production ramped up. Guess I wuz wrong. Well. I'm ordering mine from Oppo direct next week payday, so we'll see if these guys are talking out of their hats or not.

Da Worfster

Worf101
08-26-2009, 08:51 AM
I just ordered my Oppo BDP-83 and the company say's it's "in stock" and will ship today or tomorrow. What these jokers are talking about on Ebay, I'll never, ever know.

Da Worfster

08-26-2009, 10:33 AM
Thats great, you can be a pioneer.
You know, one of those guys with arrows sticking outta his back.:1:

Pix,
I can have arrows hangin out of my back, but they won't necessarily kill me. Besides, the performance of these players has been flawless.

nightflier
08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Well if you filter by "completed listings" you'll see that not too many of those players are selling. Those that did sell, include the region-free kit, but that's typically at the $550-$650 price point.

08-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Well if you filter by "completed listings" you'll see that not too many of those players are selling. Those that did sell, include the region-free kit, but that's typically at the $550-$650 price point.

Those region free kits can be defeated by a simple firmware upgrade, so they are not going to be reliable over the long run. If they proliferate in any great numbers, Oppo will be forced through its liscensing agreement with the BDA to do just that.

nightflier
08-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Of course, a new region-free hack will be available as soon as Oppo releases a fix, and thus the cycle continues.

08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Of course, a new region-free hack will be available as soon as Oppo releases a fix, and thus the cycle continues.

Not necessarily. Their firmware upgrade could render any hacking a problem by just bricking the player when a non-region software is installed. That is what happens with the PS3 if you try and hack it. If it detects non Sony software design to bypass the region coding, it will just shut down.

Worf101
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Learn sumthin new everyday... Thanks Clint and Sir TT.

Da Worfster

nightflier
08-27-2009, 08:46 AM
Not necessarily. Their firmware upgrade could render any hacking a problem by just bricking the player when a non-region software is installed. That is what happens with the PS3 if you try and hack it. If it detects non Sony software design to bypass the region coding, it will just shut down.

Yes, that's the Sony way (remember the rootkit fiasco?). But that's not the Oppo way. Oppo has always been about customer service and the small mom & pop feel of "we'll take care of you," so I really doubt they will brick any of their players. They haven't done it with any other model, so why start now? Bricking is the kind of crap that drives people away from large companies like Sony and the reason people are drawn to a company like Oppo. Oppo needs to stay consumer-oriented to compete against the big guys and so far they have been. Past experience suggests they won't brick their players - and I will thank them for that by buying one of their players over a Sony.

08-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Yes, that's the Sony way (remember the rootkit fiasco?). But that's not the Oppo way. Oppo has always been about customer service and the small mom & pop feel of "we'll take care of you," so I really doubt they will brick any of their players. They haven't done it with any other model, so why start now? Bricking is the kind of crap that drives people away from large companies like Sony and the reason people are drawn to a company like Oppo. Oppo needs to stay consumer-oriented to compete against the big guys and so far they have been. Past experience suggests they won't brick their players - and I will thank them for that by buying one of their players over a Sony.

They may not have a choice in this one. Part of signing the licensing agreement is that each manufacturer MUST adhere to region coding standards, and must defeat any kits or software that disable region coding. Mom and pop or not, they have to abide by this like every manufacture does or risk losing their license and thereby have to pull their bluray players out of the market. Nobody has the right to tamper with a product so that its operation breaks the law.

You must advocate the breaking of laws, because it is against the law to defeat copy protection measures. It was not Sony decision, it was the studios. It is there for good reason too. Different studios distribute films in different territories. While Warner might distribute a film in the US, another distributer may distribute it in Europe, and yet another in Australia and New Zealand. Another issue is a film might be on Blu-ray in the US, but still in theaters in Australia, New Zealand, or Asia.

Once again your lack of knowledge causes you to blame the wrong party(or ones you dislike) for things you do not like.

nightflier
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM
No need to insult. I do not like it because when Sony breaks the law by installing a rootkit, they get a mild slap on the wrist, but if I were to do that, I'd be labeled a terrorist, get locked up in prison and the key thrown away. Likewise, when auntie May moves to Australia, she has to sell her whole collection of movies or risk multi-million dollar fines and jail time for "breaking" draconian movie studio restrictions.

No matter how you slice and dice it, these "laws" are ridiculously in favor of large corporations. But "with my lack of knowledge" I guess I just can't comprehend the complexities of such an unfair system, I suppose.