Quicksilver mini mite audience 42 compatibility [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Quicksilver mini mite audience 42 compatibility

jaf36
08-23-2009, 08:01 AM
I curently own a pair of Dynaudio Audience 42 loudspeakers and for 850.00 new (now discontinued) IMHO they were a steal. I drive them with an Arcam A70 50 watt solid state integrated. They sound good together but I want to upgrade to tubes and after reading the reviews on the Quicksilver mini mite 25 watt power amp I am leaning in that direction. I have owned an Audible Illusions pre-amp so I have a good idea of what tubes sound like. I have a small room and live in an apartment complex so very loud is out of the question but I do like rock as well as jazz and the blues so loud is part of the equation. Does anyone out ther drive Audience 42s with the Quicksilver mini-mite?

jrhymeammo
08-23-2009, 05:13 PM
I've heard the Quicksilver Audio makes very good tube amps. 25watts should be enough to let you enjoy music you love.
Audience 42s impedance is rated at 4 Ohms, but I believe they have a relatively flat impedence curve. They stay something within 3.7 to 18.6 Ohms. Without seeing actual impedence curve it's hard to say, but nicely built tube amps can easily play 4 ohm and lower loads.
Based on what I've read over the years, tube amps would much rather play flat 4 ohm loads, than 8 ohm RATED speakers with unsteady impedance curve with extreme highs and lows.

JRA

Auricauricle
08-24-2009, 05:21 AM
I brought home and listened to a pair of Quckies that were paired with a CV and a couple o' Klipsch Heresies. Very stable, clear and rock solid li'l things...sorry that I didn't get 'em when I had a chance. Is there anyway you can take them in for a trial run before you make up your mind?

jaf36
08-27-2009, 02:58 PM
I've heard the Quicksilver Audio makes very good tube amps. 25watts should be enough to let you enjoy music you love.
Audience 42s impedance is rated at 4 Ohms, but I believe they have a relatively flat impedence curve. They stay something within 3.7 to 18.6 Ohms. Without seeing actual impedence curve it's hard to say, but nicely built tube amps can easily play 4 ohm and lower loads.
Based on what I've read over the years, tube amps would much rather play flat 4 ohm loads, than 8 ohm RATED speakers with unsteady impedance curve with extreme highs and lows.

JRA
Thanks this good advise and from what I've read you're right on the money, People have driven these with as little as 25 watts, I'm leaning heavily on packing up the speakers and going to NJ to audition the Quicksilvers

jaf36
08-27-2009, 03:00 PM
I brought home and listened to a pair of Quckies that were paired with a CV and a couple o' Klipsch Heresies. Very stable, clear and rock solid li'l things...sorry that I didn't get 'em when I had a chance. Is there anyway you can take them in for a trial run before you make up your mind?

Yes thats what I'm thinking of doing actually packing up the speakers and going to my dealer