Another Tuesday morning [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Another Tuesday morning

Davey
03-23-2004, 07:45 AM
and another mess of CDs waiting to get put away....

Mink DeVille - Cabretta
Talked about this in the "Overlooked Classics" post and wound up listening to it a few times. One of those albums that I usually can't get enough of with just one listen. The original vinyl sounds pretty fine on the first couple Mink albums, but I've been listening to the Ray Janos CD remaster from 1993 on CEMA and it sounds good too. Later in 1997, Raven took over the catalog and released a twofer version with the first two albums on one CD but I've no idea what that one sounds like and it's probably OOP now.

The Jesus Lizard - Goat
Listened more than once to this one and made a post about it last week.

Sue Garner & Rick Brown (and friends) - Still
A fave from 2000 that has stood up well for me over the last few years. Very diverse and eclectic mix of trip hop, indie pop/rock, avant-folk, Tortoise-like loopy electro-organica (Doug McCombs is one of the band members) and even a near a capella cover of John Lennon's "It's So Hard". Nice CD. Maybe too diverse and far reaching for its own good, but lots to like.

The Moonbabies - The Orange Billboard
Really nice album with lots of Beatles and Yo La Tengo and hints of ELO and My Bloody Valentine and lots more. Haven't heard many 2004 releases yet but this is my runaway favorite so far. The first album, June or Novas, is first rate as well and I gave it a listen too.

Neko Case - Blacklisted
What's to say? Neko embodies everything that is right with country music, at least for me. Great voice, great songs, and especially great backup on this one with Howe Gelb and the Calexico boys, along with Jon Ranhouse and Dallas Good and Kelly Hogan and Tom Ray.

Just picked up a couple at the library last night based on things people have said about them on Rave Recs...

The Call - Reconciled
Dave G just talked about this one in the "Overlooked Classics" thread and they happened to have it at my library so I snagged it. Only listened a little so far but sounds good. Maybe a bit dated in the synth stuff, but some rocking tunes, especially the opening Everywhere I Go and track 5, Oklahoma. Guess Jim Kerr and Peter Gabriel are singing background on that first one, although there's really no way you would know that without seeing the credits.

Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
I'm pretty sure the Ex Lion Tamer has talked about this one and some other people too, maybe Mr MidFi. I've started to check it out before, but wound up putting it back. Kind of figured by the description that it was one you would probably have to grow up with to really like. But last night I said wtf (not out loud of course, because it was the library) and decided to at least give it a listen. Haven't yet, but will.

And a few others like...

Laika - Wherever I Am...
Arto Lindsay - Invoke
Post-Millenium Release (Jar)
The Shins - Oh, Inverted World
Dismemberment Plan/Juno split EP (Juno rocks the house on this one)

Jim Clark
03-23-2004, 07:55 AM
Haven't uploaded a scan in a while, not sure I remember how to do it. I listened to these and a few others. The one you can't read is Nicholas Payton-Sonic Trance. It's not trance-it's actually synth-heavy Jazz but I still don't like it much but it was worth a listen. BTW, is Starsailor dead? They were the band de jour not too long ago and I haven't heard a thing about this 2004 release. Some mighty fine tracks on it. I'm due for a comp and I'll include one from this. I actually think this release is way better than the last. Maybe that's why nobody else likes it.

-Jar-
03-23-2004, 07:55 AM
been listening to a lot of Finch comps... well, Finch comps and some samplers he sent me.. been gathering some throat-shredding hardcore tunes for a comp. That Lumberjack sampler has some killer tracks..

what the hell did I listen to.. a bunch of tapes because I had a to get a new (used) car and it has a tape player in it.. Buick Century.. feels like I'm driving a pillow.

Anywhoo.. my friend's band Quickening is releasing their cd this week ARE YOU LISTENING?

Listened to that American Music Club album MERCURY again.

Other bands heard:
December
Lamb of God
Soilwork
Thrice
Avenged Sevenfold
Glassjaw
fIREHOSE (their debut IF'N is so f'n good, I should write a "forgotten classic" review of it)
Kyuss
Sugar
Menthol

watched some of that Devo Lollapalooza DVD.. fun stuff!

-jar

nobody
03-23-2004, 08:34 AM
LIstening to a few different things...nothing new though.

<b>Jason & the Scorchers: Lost & Found</b>
Excllent mid 80s cow-punk band. This is my favorite of theirs. Great fiery uptempo tunes like White Lies, balanced with cry in your beer country tunes like Still Tied and Far Behind. If ya wanna find out what the cow punk thing was, start here.

<b>Colin Winski: Rock Therapy</b>
1980 rock-a-billy revival record. This one flopped when it came out (I think I grabbed my copy out of a dollar bin), but since it was so retro at the time, it holds up well. It's more traditionalist than the Stray Cats' stuff, which may explain why they were so successful and this wasn't. Nothing innovative or surprising here, just solid rock-a-billy style, with a nice ballad or two tossed in. Nice piano playing throughout.

<b>Marvin Gaye: Superhits</b>
Do I really need to say anything about this one? Simply one of the best soul singer collections around. Just had to mention this one.

<b>David Bowie: Low</b>
One of my favorite Bowie records. Side 2's ambient electronic soundscapes with Eno just glide along. Some more uptempo stuff on side 1. Different sides for different moods.

<b>Prince: Dirty Mind & Around the World in a Day</b>
The recent Prince talk and his recent performance had me pulling these out. I'm thinking I see a whole bunch more Prince listening in the weeks ahead. Dirty Mind's stripped down funk rock is my favorite Prince LP.

<b>T Rex: Electric Warrior</b>
When I'm in the mood for laid back, guitar based rock, this one is frequently at the top of my list. I've liked Slider and other stuff I've heard from him, but this one is clearly the masterpiece in my estimation.

<b>Terranova: Close the Door</b>
Nice Trip Hop spin from Germany a few years back, even with a guest spot by Tricky. Opens up with a decent rap tune. The rest is mostly female vocals, with Tricky's piece and one more rap tune mixed with a couple instrumentals. Walks the line between keeping you on edge and keeping you relaxed nicely.

Still listening to the new <b>Savath & Savalas: Apropa't</b>, which I'm just liking more and more, beautiful mellow Spanish electronic music from the man who brought you Prefuse 73. Played <b>Tupelo Chain Sex: Spot the Difference</b> that I mentioned in the underlooked thread. Drug out the <b>Clash: Combat Rock</b>, underrated in my opinion, Ghetto Deffendant on Side 2 is a killer song. Played <b>Lou Reed: Berlin</b> late at night. Spun a few old hits collections from <b>The Impressions</b>, <b>The Four Tops</b>, and others.

dld
03-23-2004, 08:40 AM
Yes, Fragile
Norah Jones, Feels Like Home
Wilco, Being There
Uncle Tupello, Anodyne
Les MCCann/Eddie Harris, Live at Montreaux, 1969
Earl Hooker, Two Bugs and a Roach (can you say Wah Wah?)
Neil Young, Tonights The Night
Daniel Lanois, Shine
Blue Man Group
Linda Thompson, Fashionably Late
Modest Mouse, Moon Over Antarctica (Last attempt, just doesn't move me)
Galactic, forgot the title
Allison Kraus, Forget Aboat It
Blind Boys From Alabama, Spirit Of The Century
Animals, Greatest Hits Live
Domino, S/T

Dave_G
03-23-2004, 08:43 AM
Cool beans!

What did I listen to?

Peter Tosh - Live in Boston 1976
Culture - Combolo
U-Roy - Dread Ina Babylon
Some Camel
Some Rush
Watched a Mostly Autumn dvd, a Fish dvd, and a Devo dvd.

Plus listened to an old "Rick Medlocke and Blackfoot" cd I won off of ebay.

Dave

newtrix1
03-23-2004, 08:54 AM
BTW, is Starsailor dead? They were the band de jour not too long ago and I haven't heard a thing about this 2004 release. Some mighty fine tracks on it. I'm due for a comp and I'll include one from this. I actually think this release is way better than the last. Maybe that's why nobody else likes it.

Great, more stuff for the wishlist ;).

My weekly listens:

White Stripes: Elephant
Neil Young: Live Rust
Kansas: Masque
Yes: Talk
Outkast: Stankonia
Dismemberment Plan: Change
Robert Palmer: Addictions
The White Stripes: White Blood Cells
Prince: The Hits
The Police: Regatta De Blanc
Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
The Doors: Morrison Hotel
Bjork: Vespertine

Ex Lion Tamer
03-23-2004, 08:56 AM
I've bought so little new stuff lately, that this thread hasn't been much fun for me lately, but this week I did get Kings of Leon's album Youth & Young Manhood, and I'm finding a lot to like about this album. Loose, kinda messy, especially the vocals, but always fun. Fans of Gomez would find something to like in their sound, I would think.

I've been reorganizing (again!!!) my collection of comps and thus revisiting some old friends, from Jar and Stone and Slosh and JC and others...man there are some good tracks on these. Toying with the idea of making series of "Best Of" super comps from the RRers for which I have a sh*tload, I'm up to 20 from Davey alone...guess his Best of will have to be a 2-disc set.

also...

Fountains of Wayne
Weezer
Camper van Beethoven - Key Lime Pie
Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral

Strawbs - Hero and Heroine
I'm pretty sure the Ex Lion Tamer has talked about this one and some other people too, maybe Mr MidFi. I've started to check it out before, but wound up putting it back. Kind of figured by the description that it was one you would probably have to grow up with to really like. But last night I said wtf (not out loud of course, because it was the library) and decided to at least give it a listen. Haven't yet, but will.

Good luck with that Davey. One of the few albums I listened to in high school that still has any real appeal to me today, but probably nowhere near where you're at musically these days. I make the odds rather long for you liking this one.

Mark

dph1965
03-23-2004, 09:18 AM
1965 - Afghan Whigs
Iggy Pop - New Values
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Willie Nelson - The Red Headed Stranger
Faces - Good Boys...When They're Sleeping
Rolling Stones - Tatoo You
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
Rush - 2112
Elvis Costello - Trust
Bryan Ferry - Boys and Girls
Little Feat - Sailin Shoes

Guess it's time for me to stop working on comps and head out to Best Buy for some new music!

Mike
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
Been away for a long weekend so mainly comps and CDR's for me

Fun In The Sun - Quality product from Davey I've gotta' get me some Moonbabies. Overall I like it with a nice mix of doodly stuff, brand spanking new and some modern classics. I really like the bonus tracks too by Marc Mulcahy (I think you said earlier) and I see you've been pinching Headkandi shots for your Avatar.

Outkast - Speakerbox - Courtesy of Nobody, when I first listened I thought these guys need to be a little more controlled in the studio I mean you could slim it down to one fine album. But the more I listened the more I liked it, some wacky stuff in there mixed with brilliance. Poor Andre does that guy want to be Prince he's just so in love with himself.

A bunch of stuff from Jeff (aka JDaniel) including Allman Brothers, Edie Brickell, Los Lonely Boys, Peter Malick/Norah Jones and a Lost Highway sampler. Not a duffer amongst them especially the Los Lonely Boys and Peter Malick which IMO is a ton better than Norah's latest release. Thanks Jeff

and a few others...
Air - Walkie Talkie
Zero 7 - When it Falls
Hedkandi - Winter Chill comp
Faithless - Reverence
Ryan Adams - Rock 'n' Roll

Cheers
Mike

Davey
03-23-2004, 10:06 AM
.....and I see you've been pinching Headkandi shots for your Avatar.
Hehehe, yeah I'm a sucker for those Hed Kandi covers. Love that simple, colorful art, especially when it features lovely ladies, although this one is just a bit too supermodel thin. If you have flash enabled, check out the beachhouse link below for that comp.....

http://www.hedkandi.com/flashcards/beachhouse/beachhouse.html

PPG
03-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Hey Jim, how do you like Cheap Trick Special One?

As for my listens, not too much - been burning some MP3 discs mostly from Rave Recs comps and classic rock & pop.

Been listening to the latest Paste sampler and it's one of the better mag samplers I've heard in a good while, with folks like Jonatha Brooke, Lisa Loeb, Shane Nicholson, A.J. Roach, Mindy Smith - those are some of the better tracks on it for me.

Also, Los Straitjackets' Supersonic Guitars in 3D.

That's about it.

Jim Clark
03-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey Jim, how do you like Cheap Trick Special One?

Not so much to tell the truth. I guess the first track is pretty good, the rest is not really much to my liking. To me when Cheap Trick is at it's best it just seems so vibrant and full of life but most of this CD just seems dreary to me. There are a few instances where it seems like they're reving up and getting ready to kick it into gear, but the moment just passes and it just never happens. I was even more disappointed in the DVD. No DD? Come on guys.

jc

tentoze
03-23-2004, 07:27 PM
I was in the air all day travelling back to the desert, but it was great (but short) week in Florida airing out the real stereo with some newer things I took with me (Sun Kil Moon, Blacky Ranchette, Over The Rhine, etc), and sampling some of the left-behinds there at the house in FL- memorable was a Lee Roy Parnell cd, J. Browne's Running On Empty, and Jade Warrior's Breathing The Storm. Also a TON of old vinyl there on a bleary-eyed Saturday nite- without question, the standout was Elliot Murphy's Just A Story From America, which is, in my limited world, one of THE unknown classics; from about '76, some remarkable songwriting, and some pretty damned fine rock n' roll.

audiobill
03-25-2004, 07:53 AM
Hey Tentoze,

The Jackson Browne on your list brings back a flood of memories!!

I have it still on vinyl, but my rig is not set up -- perhaps, I'll take it out and hook it up, so that I may play some of Browne's gems.

He's an artist who doesn't get mentioned a lot around music circles these days.

Thanks for bringing him to mind,
Bill

tentoze
03-25-2004, 08:00 AM
Hey Tentoze,

The Jackson Browne on your list brings back a flood of memories!!

I have it still on vinyl, but my rig is not set up -- perhaps, I'll take it out and hook it up, so that I may play some of Browne's gems.

He's an artist who doesn't get mentioned a lot around music circles these days.

Thanks for bringing him to mind,
Bill
Bill,

I've been told that his latest release is pretty darn good, but haven't had a chance to hear any of it....

et

Davey
03-25-2004, 12:36 PM
Jackson Browne.......an artist who doesn't get mentioned a lot around music circles these days.
If you get a chance to see it, he made a nice appearance on the rock n roll Hall of Fame show on VH1 just recently, playing The Pretender and Running On Empty. He was somewhat inelegantly inducted by Bruce Springsteen. Bruce is the greatest with a guitar and a band, but not much of a public speaker :)

Anyway, I only have caught bits and pieces so far and as usual, the only part worthy of watching are the performances, and both of JB's were top class, although JB was also very classy in his acceptance speech. The finale with an electrifying Prince guitar solo during "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" was a knockout. Wasn't too impressed with Prince's opening salvo of songs as he didn't seem in very strong voice and definitely wasn't very powerful on the falsettos anymore. Still knows how to make his guitar sing, though. And doesn't look like he's aged more than a year or two in the last twenty. Wonder why?

:)

3-LockBox
11-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Oh how things change...

Good to see Davey keeping the Tuesday flame alive after all these years

Davey
11-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Good to see Davey keeping the Tuesday flame alive after all these years

And good to see Todd keeping the Tuesday weirdness alive after all these years. That Mink DeVille debut is still one good ass mojo mama record.