Nickelback show [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Nickelback show

Mr Peabody
08-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Nickelback played to a sold out show here in StL. Come to find out this was almost the Nickelbackfest.

First up was Saving Abel. The boys played a short set and tried real hard to work the fans up. I'm not a fan but they did better than expected.

Next up was Papa Roach who blew the place away. During one of their songs, while still performing the singer walked up the isle in the ampa-theater to the back. These guys had the place on their feet. You might not have thought so but after this set it was a tough job to follow them.

Hinder had that privilege. These guys did alright and the crowd of course loved hearing their hits but they tried too hard to be like Papa Roach. For example, Hinder's singer asking the crowd to throw up horns, give me a break.

Something annoying before I go on to the headliner, all four bands took time out of the show to "give it up for....." every other band in the show. I thought Saving Abel did it because they were the opening band and it seemed appropriate but the other 3 doing the same thing a bit stupid.

I've never seen Nickelback before so I don't know if last night was typical but they were awesome. Their set was a blast, Chad is crazy, the playing and commentary between songs turned it into a big party. You say concerts are parties any way but NB made it more personal or like every one is a part of it. At one point they had Austin from Hinder come onto stage and the singer from Papa Roach to all do a cover of AC/DC's Highway To Hell. Apparently, in a prior city they stayed at the same Motel as AC/DC and the boys asked Nickelback up to dinner. How crazy is Chad you might ask, at another point he said something about making it a Country show when asking what song to do next, then he says he can play a verse of a Country song and every one would know the song, sure enough the band eases and then breaks into Garth Brookes, Low Places, and sure enough, a large part of the crowd joined in. I didn't realize NB's drummer was so good, he did a heck of a solo. The band accompanied the songs with an elaborate light and pyro effects complete with explosions. Downside I had to sit through a few NB radio hits I'm not so crazy about but I'd see the show again in a heartbeat, a lot of fun. Chad messed with kids and their parents in the audience. The kids ranged from 5 to 15. I believe their set if not 2 hours was pretty close to it.

thekid
08-23-2009, 03:08 AM
Sounds like it was a great show and you had a good time.
Congrats!

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I saw Nickelback several years ago (I'm guessing 5 or 6) and they do put on a great show. Chad is an excellent frontman. Personally, I've since grown tired of their sound.

It sounds like you had a great time. I have friends who see them every time they're in town. Unfortunately, their show here a couple of weeks ago was cancelled due to dangerous weather conditions in an outdoor venue. One of the worst storms we've had here in quite some time...well, if you don't include the tornadoes that touched down here earlier this week. But I digress.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the show Mr. P. I may not be much of a fan anymore, but they are great showmen.

Mr Peabody
08-23-2009, 10:56 AM
That must have been maybe what prompted them to comment on our weather yesterday which was absolutely beautiful. They made mention of the nice weather and the fact there wasn't any hurricanes or tornadoes. I think it was only in the 70's here with a nice breeze by the time Nickelback started it was good and dark, and I was wishing I brought a jacket. I couldn't believe it for August.

FA, how are those Paradigms working out?

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2009, 01:26 PM
FA, how are those Paradigms working out?

I wish I could answer that question. The cabinet colour that we chose were on back-order. They were supposed to come in last week, but we were away on vacation. There's no message from the Dealer on our phone so I'll have to follow-up with them tomorrow. I'm really hoping that they're in and we can pick them up tomorrow night.

Cross your fingers for me.

Mr Peabody
08-23-2009, 07:29 PM
Ah... that would explain why we haven't heard about them yet :)

Another story from the concert, during the Papa Roach set a beach ball was going around and ended up on stage, the singer grabs it and is like, a beach ball don't belong at a Papa Roach show, maybe Flaming Lips but not here and he proceeds to sacrifice it.

N. Abstentia
08-26-2009, 05:00 PM
Ahh..so there WAS a douchebag convention in town.

Sorry.

Mr Peabody
08-26-2009, 05:14 PM
My aren't we snooty, I guess a little fun loving R&R is beneath you :) I bet even you would have liked the Incubus show though.

Payaso
08-31-2009, 02:01 PM
I'm not a fan of Nickelback, but saw their one song set at a music awards show and they did a good job.
Now Papa Roach, those guys are good. I saw them a few years ago at a bar and they rocked the place.

I might go to the concert next week, but not to see NB.

Mr Peabody
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
If you like NB's music at all the show will make you a fan.