New "Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses" [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : New "Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses"

emaidel
08-22-2009, 03:51 AM
A while back, I posted a thread extolling the virtues of the Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses I had installed in my DQ-10's (one "main" and one in the path of the tweeters). I found a very significant improvement in the overall sound of the speakers from the installation of these babies, and would now like to replace the five fuses in my Adcom GFA-5800 amp with them, especially since the fuses were designed primarily for electronic equipment rather than speakers. My question is: the fuses are listed as "ABC" fuses, 10 Amps and 250 Volts. Does anybody know if "ABC" means fast, or slow blow?

The fuses are currently on sale for $34.95 (down from $39.95) at all online retailers who sell them, but spending over $150 for five fuses, only to buy the wrong ones is something I really don't want to do.

Naturally, I"ll post my observations once I install the correct fuses, and I hope that will be as praiseworthy a comment on them as was my post regarding installing them in my speakers.

Feanor
08-22-2009, 04:31 AM
A while back, I posted a thread extolling the virtues of the Hi-Fi Tuning Fuses I had installed in my DQ-10's (one "main" and one in the path of the tweeters). I found a very significant improvement in the overall sound of the speakers from the installation of these babies, and would now like to replace the five fuses in my Adcom GFA-5800 amp with them, especially since the fuses were designed primarily for electronic equipment rather than speakers. My question is: the fuses are listed as "ABC" fuses, 10 Amps and 250 Volts. Does anybody know if "ABC" means fast, or slow blow?

The fuses are currently on sale for $34.95 (down from $39.95) at all online retailers who sell them, but spending over $150 for five fuses, only to buy the wrong ones is something I really don't want to do.

Naturally, I"ll post my observations once I install the correct fuses, and I hope that will be as praiseworthy a comment on them as was my post regarding installing them in my speakers.

Don't know off hand, but why not look at the Parts ConneXion site (http://www.partsconnexion.com/fuse_hifituning_lrg.html) where the product listings are relatively clear and easy to understand.

The idea of replacing the fuse at the power input seems far-fetched to me and I wouldn't squander my money on it. If there happens to be fuses between the transformer and the large, power supply capacitors, I wouldn't worry about these either. On the other hand, upgrading fuses after the p/s capacitors and before the actual amp circuits would seem to have good potential for an improvement.

Luvin Da Blues
08-22-2009, 04:42 AM
emaidel, ABCs are fast-acting fuses whereas MDAs are the time-delay (slow-blow) fuses.

emaidel
08-22-2009, 07:29 AM
emaidel, ABCs are fast-acting fuses whereas MDAs are the time-delay (slow-blow) fuses.

That's the information I needed. Thanks.

hifitommy
08-22-2009, 08:23 AM
the line fuse isnt likely to improve the sound but the internal fuses (the other four) are in the speaker output power path, just as the ones in your dahlquists. in the speakers is a FINE place for the fuses.

i have an adcom 555II which i love the sound of and have given some thought to putting those fuses in the amp. still, the cost is rather high for fuses and they are delicate.

once while playing the LP of mickey hart's DAFOS, all four of the fuses vaporized when the 'beast' hit the floor. POOF, that could be $120 at those prices. keeping a bunch of extras seems to be not cost effective.

emaidel
08-26-2009, 03:54 AM
Well, I took the plunge and shelled out $200 for five fuses, plus overnight shipping, and they arrived yesterday.

The first thing I did was replace the main power fuse to see if the Hi-Fi Tuning fuse made any difference. Well, it certainly did, though the difference was subtle. There was a noticeable increase in upper-end definition, and a bit more "oomph" in the dynamics. That even this amount of difference could be had simply by replacing a line fuse is amazing.

But what was truly amazing was the sound after replacing the remaining four fuses. If I were to make an analogy, it would be the same as the before and after if you have your car tuned up, put on new tires, and have the wheels balanced and aligned: while the car may have performed well before, now everything works better. It starts more easily; it runs more smoothly; the transmission shifts more readily; the handling is better; and it rides more smoothly. In short, while good before, it's a whole lot better now.

I haven't yet had the time to do any extended listening, but each and every disc I played yesterday sounded remarkably better than it had before, along with that familiar and pleasant, "Gee, I've never heard that before..." sensation.. There is as huge improvement in upper end detail, and in particular, the delineation of individual sounds as opposed to one, homogenous sound, especially when there's a lot going on, as in a massed choral piece with the entire chorus singing along with the orchestra playing. Pin-point stereo imaging, something my Dahlquist DQ-10's have long been famous for, is also noticeably improved. In short, everything sounds better, and much better at that.

The Adcom GFA-5800 is a very good amp. Nelson Pass, who designed the amp, has called it the best sounding amp Adcom ever made (perhaps a bit of personal bias here?" I've always been satisfied with its performance, and it seems a perfect match for the DQ-10's, offering 250 watts/channel, and high current, which is what the speakers eat up. Now, it sounds almost like a "new & improved" model, it's that much better!

Once again, my highest recommendation goes to these fuses for their remarkable ability to so greatly improve the sound of a given component. No wonder Stereophile lists them as a "recommended component." I certainly do! Now, I can hardly wait to replace the fuses in my other components!

Feanor
08-26-2009, 05:41 AM
That even this amount of difference could be had simply by replacing a line fuse is amazing.

Indeed ... amazing.

But what was truly amazing was the sound after replacing the remaining four fuses. If I were to make an analogy, it would be the same as the before and after if you have your car tuned up, put on new tires, and have the wheels balanced and aligned: while the car may have performed well before, now everything works better. It starts more easily; it runs more smoothly; the transmission shifts more readily; the handling is better; and it rides more smoothly. In short, while good before, it's a whole lot better now.

I have yet to get around to trying the fuse in my amps or preamp but do have them in my Magneplanars. I feel I hear a difference on account of the fuses which, however, is very slight at best. My analogy would like wiping a fine layer of dust from your TV screen.

bfalls
08-26-2009, 09:40 AM
The first thing I did was replace the main power fuse to see if the Hi-Fi Tuning fuse made any difference. Well, it certainly did, though the difference was subtle. There was a noticeable increase in upper-end definition, and a bit more "oomph" in the dynamics. That even this amount of difference could be had simply by replacing a line fuse is amazing.

Specs:
250V Small - 5 X 20mm (.75") Pure silver wire. Pure Silver end-caps with intermediate copper plating layer, finished with pure Gold plating, and cryogenically treated

500V Large - 6 X 32mm (1.25") Pure silver wire. Brass end-caps, with intermediate pure Silver plating, followed by Copper plating layer, and finished with pure Gold plating, and cryogenically treated.

I'm thinking more unbelievable than "amazing". To what do you attribute the change? The materials, plating and cryogenic treatment seem to point to less resistance, but this would change the fuses current rating. Is it the cryogenic treatment? What about the wiring and circuit board runs the fuse is connected to? How does treating 1" of metal in the entire signal/power supply path make things better overall? It's like putting a 1' gold pipe in a water line and saying it makes the water taste better (OK maybe a gold-plated, ceramic coated, cryogenically-treated pipe to be fair) . Do you have improved readings to support what your ears are hearing? Did the manufacturer provide supporting data? Sounds like "snake oil" to me. Could it be possible you're listening more attentively and noticing more? Or expecting a change since paying $40 for a fuse just has to make a change?

I can understand how speaker and power cables can change sound. A speaker wire's resistance, inductance and capacitance change with length and better shielding and connections can reduce EMF and RF interference in a power cable. But "Tuning Fuses" sounds like another way of separating the consumer from their money. IMOHO At $40 a pop for a consumable, I think the money could be better spent.

emaidel
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm thinking more unbelievable than "amazing". To what do you attribute the change? The materials, plating and cryogenic treatment seem to point to less resistance, but this would change the fuses current rating. Is it the cryogenic treatment? What about the wiring and circuit board runs the fuse is connected to? How does treating 1" of metal in the entire signal/power supply path make things better overall? It's like putting a 1' gold pipe in a water line and saying it makes the water taste better (OK maybe a gold-plated, ceramic coated, cryogenically-treated pipe to be fair) . Do you have improved readings to support what your ears are hearing? Did the manufacturer provide supporting data? Sounds like "snake oil" to me. Could it be possible you're listening more attentively and noticing more? Or expecting a change since paying $40 for a fuse just has to make a change?

I can understand how speaker and power cables can change sound. A speaker wire's resistance, inductance and capacitance change with length and better shielding and connections can reduce EMF and RF interference in a power cable. But "Tuning Fuses" sounds like another way of separating the consumer from their money. IMOHO At $40 a pop for a consumable, I think the money could be better spent.

I guess I should have expected something like this. If you doubt me, which you clearly do, then why not try out one or two yourself, and see whether or not you hear a difference. If you don't, then it wasn't worth your effort, and all you've wasted is $40 to $80, and a few minutes of your time.

Remember, I'm not the only one who hears a difference with these fuses. Stereophile gave them quite a glowing review, and listed them as a "Recommended Component," after clearly stating their doubts that a fuse in and of itself could ever make a difference, then being all but delighted by the fact that they did.

There are those who use these fuses (myself being one of them, obviously) who hear the difference they make, and have taken the time to outline our experiences for others to read here at AR for their own benefit. If someone else tries out these fuses, and likes them as much as I have, then all the better. If you don't think they make any difference - and have no personal experience to state that they don't - and keep the insults to yourself.

E-Stat
08-26-2009, 02:26 PM
But "Tuning Fuses" sounds like another way of separating the consumer from their money. IMOHO At $40 a pop for a consumable, I think the money could be better spent.
Speculation only gets you so far. A significant improvement I made to my older set of electrostats was to wire around the fuse block altogether. This I did only after having used them for twenty years and not having blown more than one fuse.

Based upon Emaidel's experience, I think I'll try replacing the fuses in my current speakers. The GamuT CDP uses small, funky euro fuses which may not be available. And the B+ fuses in the VTL amps are large ceramic 600V jobs. :)

rw

JoeE SP9
08-26-2009, 03:36 PM
I had a copper rod that was the right diameter. I cut 2 pieces fuse length and replaced the fuses in my Spectra's. They've been that way for the last 8 years or so. The Model 1's got the same treatment when I got them 4 years ago.

Luvin Da Blues
08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
I had a copper rod that was the right diameter. I cut 2 pieces fuse length and replaced the fuses in my Spectra's. They've been that way for the last 8 years or so. The Model 1's got the same treatment when I got them 4 years ago.

So any spike above1000 amps yer good then. :thumbsup:

Luvin Da Blues
08-26-2009, 04:38 PM
It would be interesting to rig up a 2 cct fuse block and SPDT switch to do a blind A/B test.

Luvin Da Blues
08-26-2009, 04:41 PM
I guess I should have expected something like this.

Your the only one that has to hear a difference and as long as you like the change, who cares what others think.

hifitommy
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
but if you read my DAFOS saga above, you can see where i might be hesitant. but i've been a good boy for a while so maybe i'll get four and try em. well, maybe 6, there's one in each of my MMGs.

JoeE SP9
08-26-2009, 06:48 PM
So any spike above1000 amps yer good then. :thumbsup:

If a spike that big comes through nothing will be good!:eek:

Luvin Da Blues
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
If a spike that big comes through nothing will be good!:eek:

Percisely, there's absolutely no protection below that level.

JoeE SP9
08-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Percisely, there's absolutely no protection below that level.

My ESL's don't need any protection. Even if my amps break and put out pure DC the transformer coupled "stats" won't be hurt.

emaidel
08-27-2009, 03:40 AM
Two of my friends were over my house last night for dinner, and went into my "music room" to listen to my system. I told them I had "done something" to the system, but didn't tell them what it was, and just asked them to listen and see if they heard anything different. One, who hadn't heard the system in quite some time, said that it sounded great before, and still sounds great, but couldn't tell if anything was different.

The other, who had only heard it a few days ago, listened intently to the first movement of Morten Lauridsen's "Lux Aeterna," and immediately noticed a difference, stating that he was far better able to hear each individual voice of the choir members, and that it sounded more "alive," especially as it got louder and louder. When I told him that all I did was replace fuses, he was quite surprised. He was also more than a bit surprised at the price of the fuses, but agreed that overall, $200 was a small price to pay for such an improvement.

I don't work for the manufacturer of the "Hi-Fi Tuning" fuses, nor do I have anything to gain whatsoever by recommending them. I also find the "cryogenically-tested" statement from the manufacturer more like science-fiction "B" movie mumbo-jumbo dialog than anything else, just as I found the nonsense from the manufacturer of the "Achromat" turntable mat all about molecular "bubbles" making the mat work as it does rather silly. I have to agree though, that both the fuses and that mat make a difference, and honestly, that's really all that matters.

bfalls
08-27-2009, 06:40 AM
I guess I should have expected something like this. If you doubt me, which you clearly do, then why not try out one or two yourself, and see whether or not you hear a difference. If you don't, then it wasn't worth your effort, and all you've wasted is $40 to $80, and a few minutes of your time.

Remember, I'm not the only one who hears a difference with these fuses. Stereophile gave them quite a glowing review, and listed them as a "Recommended Component," after clearly stating their doubts that a fuse in and of itself could ever make a difference, then being all but delighted by the fact that they did.

There are those who use these fuses (myself being one of them, obviously) who hear the difference they make, and have taken the time to outline our experiences for others to read here at AR for their own benefit. If someone else tries out these fuses, and likes them as much as I have, then all the better. If you don't think they make any difference - and have no personal experience to state that they don't - and keep the insults to yourself.

I'm only playing Devil's Advocate, nothing personal. No insult intended, but as you stated, you expected this. Others have stated they've replaced their fuses with wire, which is an entirely different matter. I'm not saying having a fuse in the circuit can't change the sound (in the signal path), it's resistive, it has a voltage drop dependent on circuit current by design. I'm saying replacing it with a fuse with the same current protection is unlikely to change/improve the sound and even less likely in the power supply circuit.

I see no reason to pay $40-$80 testing "snake oil", for the same reason I didn't pay $19.99 + Shipping for the cell phone antenna you put into the battery compartment. Tweaks have always been speculative, "Green Stop Light" the green marker you use to stop spurious laser light from escaping into the player from the edges of a CD, comes to mind. Shakti Stones are another. Both tested by high-end reviewers and found to "make a difference".

Another poster said to attempt an A/B comparison. Heaven forbid we add a switch, wire and additional solder to the circuit where we're trying to test the difference between two 1" fuses. Would silver wire make a difference? Maybe use wire from an exotic interconnect to ensure transparency. What about differences in hearing? If I tested them and didn't hear a difference, would it change your mind? What about differences in systems? Will the fuses have the same effect in all audio hardware? Is there a specific frequency range? Would these be good for video? Better in AC circuits over DC? Way too many variables to start hailing these as the next best thing to "Armour All" on CDs.

My point of view is coming from a technical perspective. I've worked for a CBS tape facility in the late 70's performing equalization of their A/B and QC room, calibrating mastering decks... I've worked with both professional and high-end audio/video gear for over 30 years. I now work for Sony performing CD and DVD copy protection. I don't profess to know everything audio, but I do need more fact than "feelings" to convince me.

emaidel
08-27-2009, 06:54 AM
Your credentials are admirable, but I too have worked in the audio industry for over 30 years. I've been through the gamut of tweaks that did nothing (Armor-All on CD's, "Magic Pebbles," etc.) and have found many of them to be simply ridiculous. "Ridiculous" is also an apt word to describe the high prices of some interconnects ($3,800 for 1/2 meter cable?), and paying thousands of dollars for something like a record clamp borders on the insane. Still, these fuses - at an admittedly very high price for a fuse - at least to my ears, my wife's ears, and those of a good friend - were worth the expense.

The only way to eliminate you skepticism is for you to try them yourself, but I guess that's not very likely. Oh well,.....

E-Stat
08-27-2009, 07:10 AM
Tweaks have always been speculative, "Green Stop Light" the green marker you use to stop spurious laser light from escaping into the player from the edges of a CD, comes to mind. Shakti Stones are another. Both tested by high-end reviewers and found to "make a difference".
It sounds like you just need some assistance understanding the mechanisms involved. Ever tried looking at a laser pointer through a CD? What do you see? Red light! I can't speak for green pens, but I can speak for the Marigo mat. It is flat black on one side and dark green on the other. What happens when you do the same experiment adding the mat? Wanna guess? It eliminates light scatter.

It is common knowledge that all transformers generate EMF fields around them. It is also common knowledge that toroidal transformers have replaced laminated transformers in most applications because they generate far less local EMF. Have you noticed that trend? Did you ever wonder why? Shakti Stones, like the VPI Magic Brick before them, absorb the EMF field. When placed atop a transformer, they reduce that field which can effect the sound quality of nearby circuitry. That was demonstrated to me over twenty years ago. Unfortunately, toroidal transformers are not available for large high voltage tube amplifiers. Which is why I use DIY bricks atop the power transformers on my amps.

rw

Luvin Da Blues
08-27-2009, 07:26 AM
Another poster said to attempt an A/B comparison. Heaven forbid we add a switch, wire and additional solder to the circuit where we're trying to test the difference between two 1" fuses. Would silver wire make a difference? Maybe use wire from an exotic interconnect to ensure transparency.

Yes, but with the added circuitry all things would be equal for the two fuses in question.

bfalls
08-27-2009, 09:59 AM
It sounds like you just need some assistance understanding the mechanisms involved. Ever tried looking at a laser pointer through a CD? What do you see? Red light! I can't speak for green pens, but I can speak for the Marigo mat. It is flat black on one side and dark green on the other. What happens when you do the same experiment adding the mat? Wanna guess? It eliminates light scatter.

It is common knowledge that all transformers generate EMF fields around them. It is also common knowledge that toroidal transformers have replaced laminated transformers in most applications because they generate far less local EMF. Have you noticed that trend? Did you ever wonder why? Shakti Stones, like the VPI Magic Brick before them, absorb the EMF field. When placed atop a transformer, they reduce that field which can effect the sound quality of nearby circuitry. That was demonstrated to me over twenty years ago. Unfortunately, toroidal transformers are not available for large high voltage tube amplifiers. Which is why I use DIY bricks atop the power transformers on my amps.

rw

Apparently they're good for your car! I guessing your laptop or home computer's CPUs too.

"The SHAKTI Electromagnetic Stabilizer (aka "the Stone") has three internal trap circuits (Microwave, RF and Electric Field) to absorb the broadest spectrum of EMI. Placement on automotive CPUs has measurably increased engine horsepower. It also improves resolution for virtually all-major components in high definition audio/video systems. Music reproduction is clearer, with more liquidity, dynamics and focus. The improved inter-transient silence allows the listener to hear ambient cue information essential for accurate perception of stage depth, width and unwavering imaging. High quality video systems will benefit from SHAKTI devices near power supplies, projection guns and laser disc/DVD players. Reduced color noise and improved convergence alignment are some of the improvements that can occur. In automotive applications, where space allows, the unit should be securely taped and/or cable tied to the top of the CPU."

I've even seen them put on top of speakers, I guess to keep fields generated by the speaker from getting into the speaker.:skep: They also have stones for in-line use for your interconnects.

Where does the trapped EMI go? I don't see a connection where it can be drained/grounded. What are the Stone's capacity? They seem pretty small. Do you need to get a specific size for the application? Does the EMI spill-over when full? How does spill-over effect the sound? Can see why I'm skeptical? Pure anecdotal impressions only go so far as well.

I'm not trying to bust your chops. You're correct, you don't have to convince anyone and I appreciate your wanting to pass on a tweak you feel is effective. Tweaks are a "dime a dozen" (in some cases $10,000/dozen), some effective, some not. Some for the intent purpose of fleecing the gullible and uninformed. I just need to look more closely before plopping down $40 for a fuse. Anyone have opinions on "Digital-Ready" speakers? Remember them?

bfalls
08-27-2009, 10:29 AM
Yes, but with the added circuitry all things would be equal for the two fuses in question.

Employing a SPDT switch would have only one connection in common, the wiper, depending if you want to short the Tuning Fuse, or replace with a normal fuse, which could require more connedctions. When we're talking about the changes brought about by a cryogenically-treated 1" (or smaller) piece of wire in a casing, the electrical changes are very small.

Since it's perceived this makes a difference, it can also be perceived that contact resistance for each pole can be a factor, or using less than identical lengths of wire for the switch. Solder connections can be a factor. I've run into many a high-resistance cold-solder joints over the years. If more than one wire is used, what about crosstalk between them or the contacts and the EMI produced by each wire. This is why I can't believe a change so small can make a noticeable difference. Still too many variables.

Auricauricle
08-27-2009, 11:09 AM
Call me Mr. Cheapskate...

Before I get on the fuse bandwagon, I started today off with a good cleaning. The Polks (7c) use what appears to be BUSSAGC 2 250V (?) fuses. These speaks were purchased second hand and the fuses and holders were pretty grungy. I removed the things (and spent 45 minutes trying to remember where I put 'em) and gave the prongs a good scrubbing and polishing. The same treatment was applied to the fuses. Although the result brought everything to a less-than-gunky shine, they are hardly pristine. Still, the fuses were replaced and the rig was fired back up.

Hard to tell yet if there is a discernable difference, but at this point it was worth a shot. Because the amp is in much better condition, that will go to second tier on the Priority List.

emaidel
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
I started today off with a good cleaning. .

Though I've never done it, the instructions for my Parasound PLD-1100 preamp suggest disconnecting all interconnects and cleaning the contacts about once a year to remove corrosion. Somehow, it seems to me, that since the connections are as tight as they are that corrosion is very unlikely to occur, but that's "what the book says." In my case, I've changed interconnects so often, that cleaning them is rarely a consideration.

The ad hype for the Hi-Fi tuning fuses actually suggests installing them in one direction, then removing them and reversing them to determine in which position they sound better. Considering that I replaced five fuses in my amp, the possible variations are so numerous that I simply can't be bothered. Had I simply replaced one fuse, then I might give it a try, but five? No way!

I also did some more listening today and found another benefit to the installation of these fuses. When comparing the CD to the SACD layer on several hybrid discs, the difference is now much more apparent than it was before. That said, I believe that the fuses make the biggest difference with quality recordings, as the improvement on SACD's is quite remarkable. Then again, I guess this is all in my head...

Feanor
08-27-2009, 11:50 AM
Two of my friends were over my house last night for dinner, and went into my "music room" to listen to my system. I told them I had "done something" to the system, but didn't tell them what it was, and just asked them to listen and see if they heard anything different. One, who hadn't heard the system in quite some time, said that it sounded great before, and still sounds great, but couldn't tell if anything was different.

The other, who had only heard it a few days ago, listened intently to the first movement of Morten Lauridsen's "Lux Aeterna," and immediately noticed a difference, ...

How do you like the Lauridsen recording? It's been well reviewed I believe.

Auricauricle
08-27-2009, 11:57 AM
There are so many ways to skin this cat (think it's 120 for you, em) you can drive yourself plumb crazy. So far, the results of this spruce up is subtle or unnoticeable. Without the benefit of a true AB comparison it's hard to tell right now. Nevertheless, I do reckon that cleanliness of interconnects etc. is a matter of oversight oftentimes. I do clean my discs (with Simichrome) which does improve their performance--but then again, as you succinctly said, "I guess this is all in my head"....

Wassup Fean-o?!

emaidel
08-27-2009, 11:59 AM
How do you like the Lauridsen recording? It's been well reviewed I believe.

I like it a great deal. Aside from a splendid performance, the sound is lush and full, and hardly characteristic of what some call "digital glare." And yes, it was well reviewed, and even had a Grammy nomination, though it didn't win.

Both of my guests last night have sung the piece numerous times before, and were quite impressed with the recording. I will be singing it this November as part of the Spartanburg Festival Chorus's fall performance. One of my two guests sings in the chorus, and the other is actually the conductor, and a doctor of music at Converse College here in Spartanburg, SC. He owns the disc himself, but was stunned at how good it sounded on my system, and is determined to upgrade his (all late 70's to mid 80's vintage stuff).

Auricauricle
08-27-2009, 12:21 PM
While you're in Sparkle City, you oughtta take a drive to Brevard NC and check out the music there, em....

E-Stat
08-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Apparently they're good for your car! I guessing your laptop or home computer's CPUs too.
Given that any computer radiates a good bit of EMI that makes perfect sense.

Where does the trapped EMI go? I don't see a connection where it can be drained/grounded.
Like ERS paper, some is absorbed and some is diffused.

Can see why I'm skeptical?
Yes. You've limited your reasoning within the box. Where it gets absorbed and diffused. :)

rw

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 09:32 AM
It's been a few hours since I applied the touch-ups to the fuses, etc. At this point--whether it's a placebo effect or not, I couldn't say--but there appears to be some discernible and qualifiable change already. I spent a couple of hours last night listening to Laurie Anderson's Strange Angels and Emmylou Harris' Wrecking Ball.

The LA was played in a crisp and cohesive fashion that presented much of the subtlety that makes her music so delightfully amazing. LA puts alot into her music, with little details that can be lost if one isn't listening. As well, her voice is multi-varied, and she can belt out or whisper as powerfully or silky-sweetly as any diva in the Met. Conversely, ELH's recording is an especially difficult one. Daniel Lanois' imprinteur well-nigh consumes the album, with plenty of reverb to present a very dense texture within. Many times I have listened to the music befuddled by it's rich density. Last night, much more of the material could be discerned and Harris' voice floated like a ghost above it all, even when the music itself was aloud to escape its etheral moorings now and then.

In sum, I have to say that cleaning up the fuse clips and giving the fuse-contacts a good going over was a good idea. Until I replace the fuses altogether, I would say it was a cost-effective and worthy alternative....

E-Stat
08-28-2009, 10:11 AM
In sum, I have to say that cleaning up the fuse clips and giving the fuse-contacts a good going over was a good idea. Until I replace the fuses altogether, I would say it was a cost-effective and worthy alternative....
Don't stop there! I've been regularly cleaning all component and cable contacts using Caig products for a long time. In fact, I still have a bit of Cramolin left over from the 80s. Oxidation happens and will accumulate on most any metal (although the rhodium connectors on the speaker cables seem to be immune). You know you've made progress as soon as you see the greenish-blue residue on your cleaning cloth - and it can make a difference. :)

rw

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 10:46 AM
I agree absolutely. Every once in a while (or blue moon, whichever comes first), the components are given a good buff-up, with pipe-cleaners, Simichrome, Deoxit, and Q-Tips in attendance. I also lube things up with a dab of Torumat's Contact Conditioner.

And thanks for the tip on Caig. I'll look in on that.

E-Stat
08-28-2009, 10:53 AM
And thanks for the tip on Caig. I'll look in on that.
You're already there! Caig Laboratories is the maker of Cramolin and DeoxIT.

rw

Auricauricle
08-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Yeah, just noticed it when I did a websearch....Oh, yeah, I'm quick I am...Where's that bullet...?

emaidel
08-29-2009, 03:36 AM

My guess is that, if you've discerned this much difference from a cleaning, you're in store for a real treat if you try the Hi-Fi Tuning fuses. Prior to installing them, I removed the existisng fuses in my amp, and simply reversed all of them while I was checking to see what each fuse was, and to make sure the proper fuses were in their appropriate places. I thought I was out of my mind when I listened afterwards and heard a slight, but perceptible difference in clarity. but after reading your post, I suspect I wasn't crazy after all..

Feanor
08-29-2009, 09:30 AM
There are so many ways to skin this cat (think it's 120 for you, em) you can drive yourself plumb crazy. So far, the results of this spruce up is subtle or unnoticeable. Without the benefit of a true AB comparison it's hard to tell right now. Nevertheless, I do reckon that cleanliness of interconnects etc. is a matter of oversight oftentimes. I do clean my discs (with Simichrome) which does improve their performance--but then again, as you succinctly said, "I guess this is all in my head"....

Wassup Fean-o?!

It's always the case for me that I couldn't afford the "shotgun" approach to improving the sound of my system. Also, I have learned over the years that you can nickel-and-dime yourself to the poor house by spending many small sums in the hope of small improvements that don't materialize, thereby loosing the opportunity for real, substantial improvement.

Thus my advice (and hifitommy's) that if you want to try pricey fuses in you amp, start with those directly in the actual signal path or at least, downstream of the power supply rather on the input side. After all, the PS provides thousands of micro-Farads of capacitance moderating the electrical flow; it make more sense to me, if you feel that a cheap fuse is an unwanted filter, put downstream of the big reservoir.

hifitommy
08-29-2009, 09:50 AM
quick a/b comparisons arent always the best way to evaluate audio. i say clean the contacts at the fuses and listen for a long time, then clean again and repeat with the tuning fuses for a long time. these long periods of listening will reveal more than the rapid switching. the cleaning of the contacts levels the playing field, you wouldnt want to start by listening to conacts that have had a chance to build up any corrosion or dirt.

rapid switching has its uses but for subtleties, long termn listening is the more revealing of the two.