What system for me? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : What system for me?

wvcaudill2
08-21-2009, 03:47 PM
Hello, im new to these forums, so I apologize if this is not in the correct area.

I am currently using the Logitech X-540 surround sound system with my laptop, and recently, my desk has become extremely cluttered, and I would like to straighten things out before school gets going. Below is a picture I took with my cell to kind of illustrate the problem. I boxed in the speakers so you can better see them
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/rr52/newtuts/speakers/desk.jpg

Now, I absolutely love the speakers. Although, the only thing I can compare them to is the Altec Lansing speakers built into my laptop. Basically, what I want to do is:
A. Find a better place to put these
B. Find a smaller/better system

Here is basically what I need speakers for:
1. Music listening and video watching on laptop
2. Music listening on iPod

My price range is about $100

Please recommend what I should do.

elapsed
08-21-2009, 11:31 PM
Hi wvcaudill2, welcome to AR! A few questions/comments -

1. You absolutely love your speakers, what are you looking to improve? With satellite speakers, something smaller isn't likely to offer much improvement, especially at this price range

2. Speaker placement, really not much you can do with computer speakers, though you may want to experiment with placement of your subwoofer

3. What sound card are you using in your computer? If you are using an on-board card you may find a small improvement by installing a new PCI audio card such as a Soundblaster or m-audio.

4. Alternatively the $100 can be put towards upgrading your camera, or purchasing a new floor covering for your chair;)

cheers,
elapsed

MikeyBC
08-22-2009, 01:38 AM
Get stands for the speakers or wall mount them to get them out of the way. Also de-clutter the desk...throw away the crap that doesn't pertain to your work. Knick Knacks don't belong on a computer desk, and is that hand lotion beside your laptop? whatever it is get rid of it.:nono: I would invest in a carpet protector under your chair like Elapsed recommended.

wvcaudill2
08-22-2009, 11:20 AM
Okay, I am looking to reduce bulk without losing quality. I saw a small pair of Bose speakers for PC's, at about $90, and I was wondering if those would be any better than the Logitech System I have now. As for the floor mat, I have a new one, I am just waiting to place it until I can make my desk light enough to lift. The "lotion" is actually hand sanitizer. I have many pets in my house, and recently, there has been some type of flu going through the neighborhood. As for the camera, yeah, its crap. But, I dont every use it.

Invader3k
08-22-2009, 01:25 PM
I think I know which Bose speakers you are talking about...they are "OK", but will probably not outperform your existing speakers at all.

MikeyBC
08-22-2009, 01:52 PM
From what i see on your desk it looks like you have the surround speakers next to your mains....if sound quality is your main goal i'd get rid of those and get the Logitech Z-2300 system which is just 2 decent speakers with a very strong sub and its a bargain at 99 bucks. I have a pair and they really pound...it looks like your not using the surrounds for what they were made for. You don't need surrounds unless your into gaming or movies and have the appropriate sound card.

wvcaudill2
08-22-2009, 07:48 PM
Sound quality and compactness is my goal. Although if the system I have now offers better sound quality than any others, I would rather keep them. Is the Z-2300 better than the X540?

MikeyBC
08-23-2009, 04:05 PM
Z-2300 has a much better sub and is THX certified. Satellites sound decent...there's nothing else out there than can touch them for 99 bucks....they're a steal. The sub measures 11x11x15..a bit bulky.

wvcaudill2
08-24-2009, 02:00 PM
Z-2300 has a much better sub and is THX certified. Satellites sound decent...there's nothing else out there than can touch them for 99 bucks....they're a steal. The sub measures 11x11x15..a bit bulky.

Ok, but my question is: Do they produce better sound quality than the system I currently have?

MikeyBC
08-28-2009, 11:30 AM
probably a bit,, i havent heard yours but im sure the midrange driver in the z-2300 is better quality...plus a better bass foundation will help. just go and read what other people are saying about them and read reviews.