PS3 slim supposed to do bitstream. Worth it? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : PS3 slim supposed to do bitstream. Worth it?

JeffKnob
08-21-2009, 09:19 AM
I currently have the regular PS3 as my Bluray player and it send the audio via HDMI in LPCM format to my Onkyo 606 receiver. That receiver will decode the new formats itself. What sort of benefit would/could I gain by getting the new PS3 slim and sending the bitstream to the receiver? Basically is there an advantage to having the receiver do the processing instead of the PS3?

Thanks

L.J.
08-21-2009, 09:39 AM
I currently have the regular PS3 as my Bluray player and it send the audio via HDMI in LPCM format to my Onkyo 606 receiver. That receiver will decode the new formats itself. What sort of benefit would/could I gain by getting the new PS3 slim and sending the bitstream to the receiver? Basically is there an advantage to having the receiver do the processing instead of the PS3?

Thanks

Yeah, you get the pleasure of seeing the words DTSMA/TrueHD flash across your Onkyo screen :)

I wouldn't waste my money unless you had already planned on picking up a 2nd PS3.

Invader3k
08-22-2009, 01:19 PM
L.J. is exactly right...the bitstream feature won't give you anything the normal PS3 doesn't already give you...just you'll get to see the exact name of the decoding feature on your receiver. That's it.

JeffKnob
08-24-2009, 10:05 AM
I had a feeling that was going to be the case. Thanks for confirming it.

Sir Terrence the Terrible
08-24-2009, 03:11 PM
Yeah, you get the pleasure of seeing the words DTSMA/TrueHD flash across your Onkyo screen :)

I wouldn't waste my money unless you had already planned on picking up a 2nd PS3.

Bingo!

I have done literally dozens of comparisons both in my hometheater and at work, and I still cannot hear a difference between bitstreaming and player decoding as a transcoded PCM signal through HDMI. Now if you use the players 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs, the ballgame changes.

The PS3 decoding is extremely accurate, and probably the best you can get until the high end community starts supporting the format. Unlike most players that use a decoding chip, the PS3 has a software solution designed by both Dolby and Dts for their codecs.

GMichael
08-25-2009, 05:29 AM
Bingo!

I have done literally dozens of comparisons both in my hometheater and at work, and I still cannot hear a difference between bitstreaming and player decoding as a transcoded PCM signal through HDMI. Now if you use the players 7.1 or 5.1 analog outputs, the ballgame changes.

The PS3 decoding is extremely accurate, and probably the best you can get until the high end community starts supporting the format. Unlike most players that use a decoding chip, the PS3 has a software solution designed by both Dolby and Dts for their codecs.

The new PS3 has 7.1 analog outputs? That would be great for my HDMI-less AVR.

L.J.
08-25-2009, 07:27 AM
The new PS3 has 7.1 analog outputs? That would be great for my HDMI-less AVR.

No...he was referring to players that decode and output via analog vs pcm over HDMI(PS3).

GMichael
08-25-2009, 07:35 AM
No...he was referring to players that decode and output via analog vs pcm over HDMI(PS3).

Missed by THAT much.

Thanks