Right Hand Side Bar Change [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Right Hand Side Bar Change

atomicAdam
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
Hi all,

We are changing the right hand side bar to fit the 300x250 ad type.

this will mean some site promotion content you find on other audioreview.com page will be below that.

if you have limited screen width I'm sorry to reduce your forum width space but.......

- adam

nightflier
08-20-2009, 03:38 PM
AA, this is a huge waste of space. Not only is the bar much wider and takes up nearly a 3rd of the screen, but the margins around it are just blank space, leaving even less for the forums. And to top it off, the blank area below the ads is all blank too, which is especially bad on long pages. This is an unnecessary waste of space.

I know you have to raise ad revenue, but this isn't the way to do it.

atomicAdam
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
AA, this is a huge waste of space. Not only is the bar much wider and takes up nearly a 3rd of the screen, but the margins around it are just blank space, leaving even less for the forums. And to top it off, the blank area below the ads is all blank too, which is especially bad on long pages. This is an unnecessary waste of space.

I know you have to raise ad revenue, but this isn't the way to do it.

Hi nightflier -

You have good points. I've reduced the padding between the forum and side bar. This should give at least about 30px to the forum content.

as for wasted space below the content that is there, you are right. But I have plans to fill that space with features that I would how people would like. Like latest ads in classifieds, links to hot topics on the forums, news/press and featured articles.

For argument sake, and to make the site as best for all that we can, assume this new side bar wont change back to the 160px version, what content would you like to see there? what would help you as a user?

Thanks
- adam

02audionoob
08-21-2009, 04:16 AM
Maybe you could do more with banners across instead of the side. I often use a netbook. The screen width is only 1024 pixels. Right now, I see a large blank area on the right third of my screen. If the ad appeared across, maybe under the reply area, I'd have the whole screen and I'd see the ad. Everybody wins.

atomicAdam
08-21-2009, 06:55 AM
Maybe you could do more with banners across instead of the side. I often use a netbook. The screen width is only 1024 pixels. Right now, I see a large blank area on the right third of my screen. If the ad appeared across, maybe under the reply area, I'd have the whole screen and I'd see the ad. Everybody wins.

My IBM laptop at home only does 1024x768 as well. So I am suffering a similar issue.

nightflier
08-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Why did you change to such a wide ad bar? Are the advertisers really that demanding?

Another area of wasted space is the top banner which is smaller than the width of the page on most browsers, so the space to the left & right is wasted. Why not left-align that and create another space for a different, smaller ad to the right of it?

As far as what to do with the space under the right ad bar (provided you do decide to keep it - and I hope you don't), how about allowing the forum to use the rest of the space, by flowing the rest of the discussion to use the full width of the screen?

Rich-n-Texas
09-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Nice try flyboy. I feel bad for ya... kinda. :smilewinkgrin:

atomicAdam
09-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Nice try flyboy. I feel bad for ya... kinda. :smilewinkgrin:

Rich - you haven't been around for a while and it has been nice. I'm pretty tempted to just ban you today and block your IP block.

Rich-n-Texas
09-02-2009, 09:24 AM
Nice? More like dead is the comment I read mostly.

Nevertheless, suit yourself.

Auricauricle
09-02-2009, 09:26 AM
Rich!!! Wassup, Salty Dog???

Rich-n-Texas
09-02-2009, 09:51 AM
Hey Aa. Whaddaya think I was watching on TV last night?

(Hint: "Shut the fvck up Donnie")

:lol:

nightflier
09-04-2009, 11:18 AM
AA, you haven't answered my question. Are we stuck for good with the wide ad column?

atomicAdam
09-05-2009, 06:59 PM
AA, you haven't answered my question. Are we stuck for good with the wide ad column?

I don't have either a keep or toss at this point. I'm going to shoot some ideas to the big man next week to meet their needs and get the forum back to how it was.

I have a 1024x768 screen on my laptop at home, so... I'm not too thrilled on this change either, but my hands maybe tied if I can't get sales, management and me in alignment.

TheHills44060
09-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I understand why they are there but they take up way too much of the screen and are distracting. I just disabled all the reviews/news and articles on the page with adblocker...i'd rather have a completely blank right hand pane than see those ads.

atomicAdam
09-06-2009, 08:44 PM
I understand why they are there but they take up way too much of the screen and are distracting. I just disabled all the reviews/news and articles on the page with adblocker...i'd rather have a completely blank right hand pane than see those ads.

Funny you say that cause the news/press/reviews are links to other parts of the site.

Not ads.

I do understand the issue. I think I've thought of a solution which I will try to mock up and promote this week. I think it will make both sales and management happy and even though only a few have shown issue with the new side bar.... I think it will be better over all.

Luvin Da Blues
09-07-2009, 02:48 AM
.............only a few have shown issue with the new side bar.....

I haven't said anything yet but count me in with this 'few'.

02audionoob
09-07-2009, 07:58 AM
...only a few have shown issue with the new side bar....

I think it's terrible. I just figured no sense in complaining...it's not my website.

atomicAdam
09-10-2009, 09:59 AM
still working on this one -