Mini JBL 4530 bass bins [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Mini JBL 4530 bass bins

sushiboy21
08-20-2009, 11:33 AM
I knew a guy who made a set of subs based on the JBL 4530 design for base bins that you used to see in nightclubs and discos.

The speakers he made looked to be an exact replica, scaled down to about 1/2 to 1/3 the size. They sounded great were really efficient.

He called them "baby boomers" but I don't think anyone else called them that.

Has anyone ever seen a plan for these?

JoeE SP9
08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Don't want to burst your bubble but, a good sub-woofer will give better bass. Those bass bins don't go all that deep. They have a lot of mid bass almost no deep bass and the ability to play loud with little power. A scaled down version would have no deep bass at all without being as efficient or as loud. Boomers and Baby Boomers is an appropriate name as they do sound boomy. They remind me of a car stereo.

That said, try audiokarma.org. Some of the posters there are into PA type sound like you are describing.

sushiboy21
08-20-2009, 06:42 PM
Yeah, this was in a PA context. We both ran DJ services and loud bass was a big priority as we were doing large banquet rooms. The full-size 4530s were fantastically efficient in confined spaces, although we started renting 3-way Martin systems for high school gyms and such.

I'm sure you're right about a sub being a better choice, though.