Good DVD & CD to test subwoofers [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Good DVD & CD to test subwoofers

AZHT
03-23-2004, 06:43 AM
Can anyone help with some good DVD movies and music CDs to bring to my local stereo store to test out subwoofers?

markw
03-23-2004, 06:54 AM
Well recorded fretless bass runs beyond compare. Otherwise, decent recording but nothing spectacular.

Wireworm5
03-23-2004, 07:25 AM
Can anyone help with some good DVD movies and music CDs to bring to my local stereo store to test out subwoofers?
Saving Private Ryan DVD the tank scene near the end of the movie. I read that on a good sub it should feel like the earth is shaking and not just a rumble.
And for music I suggest Joe Satriani live in San Francisco dvd. This should help you decide how it performs musically.

topspeed
03-23-2004, 07:51 AM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00000AFTW/qid=1080056860/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl15/104-0189309-1412779?v=glance&s=music&n=507846

Excellent reference quality recording with truly subterranean bass. Perfect to check the musicality and speed of a sub with the walking bass and lightening fast transients.

Plus it's just a heckuva lotta fun to listen to!

03-23-2004, 10:41 AM
One of my friends told me that Independence day (when the big saucers are flying over the white house) has a really cool effect with the subs.
For music, see if you can get a hold of some Asian Drums music. I heard one cd of asian drums and it was mad bass

piece-it pete
03-23-2004, 11:56 AM
There's always the good ole Telarc 1812 overture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4002624894&category=307

Pete

PS Be sure to have the salesman turn it up :) !!

mtrycraft
03-23-2004, 12:45 PM
There's always the good ole Telarc 1812 overture:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4002624894&category=307

Pete

PS Be sure to have the salesman turn it up :) !!

Be very carefull with this CD. Even a warning on it. Digitally recorded period cannons. They blew out windows where they recorded them. And, it will blow out your sub too if you are noit carefull. This will certainly test your sub and amp. Easy to get 100 watts and more at moderate levels.

piece-it pete
03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Be very carefull with this CD. Even a warning on it. Digitally recorded period cannons. They blew out windows where they recorded them. And, it will blow out your sub too if you are noit carefull. This will certainly test your sub and amp. Easy to get 100 watts and more at moderate levels.

Ahh, the voice of reason. Although I've never been able to blow my windows out! I must need MORE POWER hahahahahahhahaha........

Pete

PS At 35 wpc, it's undoubtedly true :( !! But I did have 70 wpc on the subs recently. Hmmm. I'll hook it back up - maybe then I'll "open" those windows! Or perhaps my sub cones will burst into flame. Better have a camera ready! We might really see the big bang lol. Oh crap, there goes the neighborhood:

Kursun
03-23-2004, 02:49 PM
Can anyone help with some good DVD movies and music CDs to bring to my local stereo store to test out subwoofers?The most "moving" sub-bass I have ever heard on a CD is the last song on a Craig David album called "Born to do it". It's my classic demo piece producing some very heavy waves reminding of earthquakes. Since the tone of the recording is not bright you can listen to it at very high levels.

cam
03-23-2004, 07:07 PM
I doubt you will have this cd in your collection, unless you have a 11 year old daughter like I have, Destiny Child- Bootylicious. No matter how many times I play it me and everyone in my houshold blinks on the very first bass note. It's absolutely startling, the whole song will give your sub a hell of a workout. For dvd's, number one sub workout movie for me is starwars-attack of the clones.

agtpunx40
03-23-2004, 07:29 PM
There is some crazy bass in many parts of this movie. If you use this, you might also want to use something a little more "refined." Most of the bass in this movie is big explosions and stuff that'll give a sub a good workout, test it's dynamic range and limits, but you might also use some music to see how it handles quick tansitions and things of that sort.

topspeed
03-23-2004, 07:37 PM
For music, see if you can get a hold of some Asian Drums music. I heard one cd of asian drums and it was mad bass

He's talking about the Kodo Drummer from Japan and he's right, it has crazy bass. That's a good one for testing mains too. While we're on the subject, the Sheffield Drum Record is a great one too.

mtrycraft
03-23-2004, 10:08 PM
Ahh, the voice of reason. Although I've never been able to blow my windows out! I must need MORE POWER hahahahahahhahaha........

Yes, place a few period cannons and try it :)

It wasn't the recorded sound that blew the windows:)

Just keep cranking up the volume slowly :D