Any horologists on the forums? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Any horologists on the forums?

elapsed
08-19-2009, 09:33 AM
A couple of weeks back, I bought myself a new Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer. However yesterday after weeks of watch shopping I decided to purchase a really special timepiece just in time for my 30th birthday coming up later this month, for surviving my twenties. Came close to buying a Panerai Luminor Base, however..

https://www.iwc.com/collection/_img/2_0_portuguese/5001_009_m.jpg

..I decided to treat myself to an IWC Portuguese Automatic in stainless steel with a black alligator strap. My absolute (realistic) dream watch. Not something I could really afford, but absolutely a piece I will wear for the rest of my life and eventually pass on to a son or grandson. I'm absolutely thrilled with this purchase.

cheers,
elapsed

Auricauricle
08-19-2009, 09:43 AM
Nice....Interesting you call yerself "elapsed" though...

dean_martin
08-19-2009, 09:57 AM
let me say this now before I forget...Happy B-Day! 30s are easier to survive risk-wise but not as easy stress-wise so it's probably a wash. That was my experience.

that is a nice timepiece.

Feanor
08-19-2009, 10:47 AM
A couple of weeks back, I bought myself a new Omega Seamaster 300M Diver Chronometer. However yesterday after weeks of watch shopping I decided to purchase a really special timepiece just in time for my 30th birthday coming up later this month, for surviving my twenties

cheers,
elapsed

Pretty nice self-gift, elapsed. :thumbsup: Congradulations on your 30th birthday. I guess architecture is treating you OK.

My 65th birthday is coming up in a few months and I think my self-gift will be jalapeņos on my noon-time tacos at the company cafeteria. Of couse if I'd been successful at my occupation, I'd have retired years ago.

My watch is the Casio Wave Ceptor, below. I recall I got it for US$20 plus shipping. Works really well, though.

JohnMichael
08-19-2009, 11:16 AM
First of all happy birthday! Secondly wow what a great watch. I have several mechnical watches of Swiss manufacture. All three use eta movements. My krieger uses the eta 2892 a-2, my Hamilton viewmatic has the eta 2824-2 as does a fendi watch I own. Of course I have other mechanicals from japan and china for fun. I hope one day to own a patek phillipe watch. I would also love an iwc aviator watch. Enjoy your watch it is a beauty.

02audionoob
08-19-2009, 02:41 PM
I too love a nice watch and am a Seamaster owner, as well as a Constellation. But my favorite watches are Hamilton Electric. Here are two from my modest collection.

bobsticks
08-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Congrats, happy birthday, pip-pip, cheeeriooo...and all that...

Good choice on the IWC and, for that matter, the Omega as well from what I understand. I have owned the Panerai and I can assure you that you went the right way...constant reliablity problems...

...wasn't very impressed with Breitling either...and Movado's might be one of least reliable, inelegant watchmakers out there.

Can you tell I put my watches through their paces. Tag Heuer makes a nice watch but it seems like you're doin' pretty well on yer own.

bobsticks
08-20-2009, 08:37 PM
...and, yes, when I first read the title my original intent was to type, "No, but some of my girlfriends are kinda kinky..."

elapsed
08-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the kind words! Bobsticks, my day to day watch is a TAG Heuer 2000 Professional Diver quartz, done me extremely well for 8 years now. Breitling is too flashy for me, I'm not a huge fan. Kept coming back to Ulysse Nardin and IWC. Could eventually see myself with a Zenith as well.

First I've heard of Panerai having reliability problems, but I've had a really tough time with my Seiko MarineMaster 300M and it is very highly regarded so I guess there's always that off chance that you'll run into a problem with the movement. But for my next watch I think i'd like a Perpetual Calendar with a moonphase, possibly another IWC as I've been nothing but impressed with their quality and finish

cheers,
elapsed

Worf101
08-21-2009, 04:23 AM
The only true "special" watch I own is a "60th Anniversary" watch put out by Fender Guitars a couple years back. Kinda rare I guess.

Da Worfster

ForeverAutumn
08-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Happy birthday!