How much are 4 Cerwin-Vega AT-15's worth? [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : How much are 4 Cerwin-Vega AT-15's worth?

Stereo Junky
08-18-2009, 04:44 PM
I own a total of four Cerwin-Vega AT-15's and I want to know how much there are worth all together?

cjpremierfour
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
In my area, you can usually find the AT15 or D-9's in good shape ( good foam surrounds and a clean cabinet ) for @ $375 to $400 in pawn shops. I have actually seen the big CV D-9's and AT-15's in pawn shops with price tags like $500 to $575, but these are prices that can be talked down.
You can get these for a little less on Craiglist, @ 300 to 350 dollars. If a pair pops up for $250, they are usually sold very quickly.
Having 2 matching pairs in good shape may bring you a bit more, it really hard to say in this recession market. I would think @ $700, if they are really clean, may be $725 to $750 tops.

JohnMichael
08-18-2009, 05:14 PM
I own a total of four Cerwin-Vega AT-15's and I want to know how much there are worth all together?

First you might want to tell us the condition of the drivers and if they are original. How are the cabinets? Are they like new or frat house abused?

pixelthis
08-19-2009, 09:40 PM
In my area, you can usually find the AT15 or D-9's in good shape ( good foam surrounds and a clean cabinet ) for @ $375 to $400 in pawn shops. I have actually seen the big CV D-9's and AT-15's in pawn shops with price tags like $500 to $575, but these are prices that can be talked down.
You can get these for a little less on Craiglist, @ 300 to 350 dollars. If a pair pops up for $250, they are usually sold very quickly.
Having 2 matching pairs in good shape may bring you a bit more, it really hard to say in this recession market. I would think @ $700, if they are really clean, may be $725 to $750 tops.

I can't beleive anybody would pay that for Cerwins, new or used.
They are absolutely the worst speakers I have ever heard, and thats saying a lot.
People who buy these tend to care more about LOUD than anything else.
And they can be "loud", if nothing else.
One thing about these speakers, when an owner listens to a real audio speaker
they are amazed at what they are missing, tend to become enthusiasists.:1:

Charlie04SiR
06-10-2010, 09:59 AM
With a little care and ingenuity, D-9's, AT-15's, 380SE's and other 15" model CV's can be made to outperform your so-called "audiophile" speakers easily and cheaply. Your impression of them is solely based on the ones you heard which were probably in need of attention, I'm sure. Honestly, I can't understand why people are so quick to bash the "whole" when all they did was listen to the "one" or a "few". I have modified my 380SE's with whole new crossover networks with custom frequency points and they outperformed every single high dollar "audiophile" speaker I put them up against, and all I spent was a few hundred.

pixelthis
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
With a little care and ingenuity, D-9's, AT-15's, 380SE's and other 15" model CV's can be made to outperform your so-called "audiophile" speakers easily and cheaply. Your impression of them is solely based on the ones you heard which were probably in need of attention, I'm sure. Honestly, I can't understand why people are so quick to bash the "whole" when all they did was listen to the "one" or a "few". I have modified my 380SE's with whole new crossover networks with custom frequency points and they outperformed every single high dollar "audiophile" speaker I put them up against, and all I spent was a few hundred.

One or a "few".
One of the places I window shop, or pay my bill, is Sears.
And for the longest I would go in and there would be the Cerwins.
Brand new from the factory, but they did need attention, a foot through the bass driver would have helped a great deal.
What a mess.
So you "upgraded " them with a new crossover, put lipstick on the pig, in other words.
Congrats, now you have car stereo drivers with a fancy crossover.
Good for you.:1:

pixelthis
06-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Oh, and my "fancy" audiophile speakers cost every bit of 525$ for the stereo pair,
350 for the center, 1200 for the sub, and the current rears, 500..
Thats the sad thing about mediocre speakers like CERWINS, for the same price you could get a lot better.:1:

Charlie04SiR
06-10-2010, 03:26 PM
Sears, lol! I would NEVER in my right mind, shop at sears for stereo gear, let alone Brand spanken new Cerwin Vegas.

BTW, I never shop new. Only used.

I just guess that alot of people have not learned how to use their ears to their advantage, but thats just me I guess. One of those "More Money Than Brains" scenarios I would say.

pixelthis
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
Sears, lol! I would NEVER in my right mind, shop at sears for stereo gear, let alone Brand spanken new Cerwin Vegas.

BTW, I never shop new. Only used.

I just guess that alot of people have not learned how to use their ears to their advantage, but thats just me I guess. One of those "More Money Than Brains" scenarios I would say.

Sears has YAMAHA and a few other tasty bits, but mostly I just like to look at the monitors.
I have a line of credit at an independent HI-fi shop, thats where I bought my Integra.
And If you bought some CERWINS , it would have to be "used".
They come straight from the factory "worn out".
They are like whiskey, made to sell, not use.:1:

Glen B
06-11-2010, 12:14 PM

Good for you. But he's talking about stock C-Vs, and I agree to some extent that they are not the best sonically (in stock form). I have owned D-9s, 380SEs and AT-15s in past years, so I have more than enough hands-on experience with the brand. As much as I tried to like them, in the longrun, treble and midrange to my ears could be too harsh and strident at times, especially with earlier generation digital playback. Loved the bass though, especially when listening to pipe organ recordings.

markw
06-11-2010, 12:22 PM
If you're saying that your speakers came from the factory needing enough attention that you had to totally re-engineer the crossover, the speakers suck to begin with.

Also, remember, it's easy to "change" the sound of something but "better" is subjective.

I pickd up a Tivoli Isong at Sears and it's the best portable hi-fi I've ever owned. It's not where you buy something, it's what you buy.

JoeE SP9
06-12-2010, 01:54 PM
There's not a whole lot that pixelthis and I agree on. His opinion of CV speakers is something we do agree on. They are absolutely horrid. They make me want to cut my ears off and run away. If they had used them on Noreiga he would have given up in an hour at most.

markw is correct about re-engineering a pair of speakers. Rather than go through all that, why not buy some decent speakers in the first place? It will probably be cheaper and certainly less time consuming.

With that said, the new CV models that were recently introduced have been getting very good press. I haven't heard them. However, people who's ears and opinions I trust have good things to say about them. They have also said that if you like the traditional CV sound you probably won't like the new ones. That in itself says a lot of good things to me.

JoeE SP9
06-12-2010, 02:03 PM

What "audiophile" speakers did you compare them with? Did the name begin with the letter "B"?
Any speaker that comes from the factory needing "a little care and ingenuity" is by definition not worth buying.
FYI: Over the years I've heard lots of CV speakers new and used. They all sounded awful.

pixelthis
06-13-2010, 08:10 AM
What "audiophile" speakers did you compare them with? Did the name begin with the letter "B"?
Any speaker that comes from the factory needing "a little care and ingenuity" is by definition not worth buying.
FYI: Over the years I've heard lots of CV speakers new and used. They all sounded awful.

I know the "killer B" SPEAKERS you are thinking of, and they are probably the
ones(cue DARTH VADER MUSIC).
Most non audiophiles think of these when they think "audiophile",
but when true audiophiles think of these they just think PILE:1:

hifitommy
06-13-2010, 09:06 AM
actually sounds better. less spectacular but better.

C-Vs go BOOMchhhhshhh! its headache time.

you couldnt GIVE them to me.

Charlie04SiR
01-02-2011, 06:16 PM
CV's are great speakers for the money. People that bash them just simply do not understand them or appreciate them for what they are capable of, that's all.

Charlie04SiR
01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
FYI: Over the years I've heard lots of CV speakers new and used. They all sounded awful. Joe, I appreciate your insights, however, ALL speakers need some amount of "care and ingenuity" ranging from as little as placement to as major as crossover tweaks to get them to sound right. We all hear differently and that is a fact of life. There are just too many variables that come to mind with getting the desired sound output from pretty much ANY speaker. The same speaker can sound radically different with different amplification and that's a fact. I too have heard many, many, many speakers in my time, and I base my opinion of any speaker solely on how it is set-up in placement, amplification, room acoustics, parameters, and imaging. So many people buy big power handling speakers and small amps and think they are gonna have big sound. I can't believe how many people are so ingnorant when it comes to matching the right speakers and amps to get the desired sound they want. I've seen too many times fellas have these huge speakers rated to 200-300-400 watts and they have them hooked up to the cheapest, cheesiest receiver or amplifier. I have also witnessed folks who automatically bash something they hear when it is incorrectly set up with mis-matched components. Must I go on some more?? :rolleyes5:

JoeE SP9
01-02-2011, 08:10 PM
Sorry, but placement issues are normal for any speaker.

Installing new crossovers with adjusted bandwidths and roll offs to make a speaker sound good?

Rating speakers by a wattage means just about nothing.

It's a given that many people have poorly matched gear in their systems. However, that has nothing to do with having to re-engineer a speaker in order to make it tolerable to the ear.

I'm not pushing any speaker or dissing any. It's a little strange that someone touting a speaker has to heavily modify them to make them sound good to themselves. Frankly that doesn't say much for the speaker. It makes me wonder why you didn't buy something that sounded good in the first place.

hifitommy
01-02-2011, 08:40 PM
as i posted before, i have yet to hear a listenable CV speaker. lots of boom and sizzle, no mids to speak of and certainly not smooth response in any range of frequencies. they are great for parties where nobody is actually listening to the music. there is apparently a market for them but they arent high fidelity.

"they outperformed every single high dollar "audiophile" speaker I put them up against" in what possible way did the CVs outperform ANY high dollar speaker ?? LOUDness maybe.

now, it IS possible to get CVs that sound pretty good but its $1000 per pair. see link below.

http://www.avguide.com/review/tested-cerwin-vega-cls-215-loudspeaker

these must be the ones JoeE SP9 (http://forums.audioreview.com/member.php?u=215493) mentioned. if REG at tas says they sound acceptable, then CV has created a new breed of their speakers. i would be interested to hear them.

markw
01-03-2011, 06:21 AM
Nobody's said squat on this for six months! Now want to revisit the issue?

Wassamatta, nobody else to play with?

Charlie04SiR
01-03-2011, 10:22 AM
Yep, guess I missed the replies to my last post 6 months ago :D

Joe, I did not say anything about "heavily modifying" anything, you are twisting what I said. And I merely used "wattage rating" as a reference point, not as actuality. My point is, great sound can be acheived with a limited budget, that's all.

I can't help the fact that I'm a down to earth person and that I know how to acheive "high Fidelity" sound with a limited budget. Many people and friends local to me are witness to what I have acheived, not only for myself but them as well. I'm not dissing the expensive stuff, as a matter of fact, if I were rich, I would be thrilled to own some high dollar gear.

JoeE SP9
01-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Yep, guess I missed the replies to my last post 6 months ago :D

Joe, I did not say anything about "heavily modifying" anything, you are twisting what I said. And I merely used "wattage rating" as a reference point, not as actuality. My point is, great sound can be acheived with a limited budget, that's all.

I can't help the fact that I'm a down to earth person and that I know how to acheive "high Fidelity" sound with a limited budget. Many people and friends local to me are witness to what I have acheived, not only for myself but them as well. I'm not dissing the expensive stuff, as a matter of fact, if I were rich, I would be thrilled to own some high dollar gear.

New crossovers, with different -3dB points and different slopes is not trivial. AFAIK "limited budget" wasn't part of this discussion. It's not about money or even your CV's. My question is , Why buy any speaker you have to modify to make it sound good to yourself?

If modifying speakers is your thing enjoy yourself! Starting with a speaker that you like and sounds good would seem to be a prudent place to start. While it's possible to make something bad sound tolerable, going from good to even better makes more sense.

I must admit my feelings about CV's mirror hifitommy's. The new XL series has a different sound than traditional CV's. It's possible I may like them. I've heard good things about them. However, they sound nothing like "vintage" CV's and old "die-hards" will probably not like them..

pixelthis
01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
New crossovers, with different -3dB points and different slopes is not trivial. AFAIK "limited budget" wasn't part of this discussion. It's not about money or even your CV's. My question is , Why buy any speaker you have to modify to make it sound good to yourself?

If modifying speakers is your thing enjoy yourself! Starting with a speaker that you like and sounds good would seem to be a prudent place to start. While it's possible to make something bad sound tolerable, going from good to even better makes more sense.

I must admit my feelings about CV's mirror hifitommy's. The new XL series has a different sound than traditional CV's. It's possible I may like them. I've heard good things about them. However, they sound nothing like "vintage" CV's and old "die-hards" will probably not like them..

By "old die hards" do you mean the type who will give up their CV P.O.S speakers on
the same day they give up the old doublewide?
When tornadoes wipe out trailer parks, they don't hate trailers, they hate CERWINS.
I hate to dis someones cheap system, having been there (some might say I am there now)
but shouldn't there be some minimum standard? I MEAN, CERWIN VEGAS???
Just get some car stereo speakers from Walfart, for gods sake!:1:

(O0o*o0O)
01-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Here in Colorado you could get three to four hundred for a nice pair. Worth every penny too! I have owned a pair before and I'll be going after another pair to "keep" this weekend(2011). Their great speakers for shaming big spenders in the audio realm. I being one of them or at least formerly.
I use to hate the look of Cerwin Vega speakers with their goddy bright surrounds and large "concert look". I use to say the same things about them like all the other naive audio sluts that are biting their five grand spending lips as they read this.:frown2: But they really grew on me over time and chance to hear.
The AT-15 speakers are a smart buy too. Sound is to fine to deny, bass is excellent for all the addicts, and performance is tits with most any set-up. Cerwin Vega speakers good or bad are great like that. You don't need a million watts to get sound or even volume, but if you do give them wattage and volume they will rock you.
I wouldn't pay full price for them are even anything close to three or four hundred dollars, but I wouldn't sell them for anything less.
MY CURRENT SET-UP:
Sony STR-DA50ES Receiver
Sony TA-N77ES Amplifier(mod)
Sony CDP-C77ES CD Changer
Sony RM-TP501 Remote
Cerwin Vega LS6C Center Channel
Cerwin Vega LS-12 Front Channels(mod)
Cerwin Vega AT-15 Front Channels
Cerwin Vega HT-S15 Subwoofer
Klipsch SF2 Rear Channels

(O0o*o0O)
02-04-2011, 06:45 PM
As a Cerwin Vega fan I will be the first to admit a few things. Like the fact that most Cerwin Vega speakers look like they belong in a roller ring. Bass is a little intimidating and they're usually sold that way to attract the younger crowd.

I have yet to find a pair of stereo speakers built to perfection by them. Its usually the tweeters, or the lack of bi-ampable terminals, or those damn crossover level controls. I hate those things; I've had to rebuild them on several speakers.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of AL1000's or DC1515's. The CLS series seems very promising, but till I actually have them I'll never know. Any speaker or piece of equipment for that matter being that I don't usually buy from stores.

I think Cerwin Vega speakers are for the DIY'ers. They build them so far and the rest is up to the consumer. If you want concert loudspeakers you leave them be and if you want more out of them its usually doable and low cost.

I'm not finished on my end and I just introduced the AT-15's to my set-up. My apartment now sounds like a roller ring. I usually have many speakers on hand to compare with or to substitute. I sell a little I buy a little and I mean little! An almost ten year process.

I'm like Al Bundy - tarnished, but determined. Cerwin Vega is an intelligent buy, but not always bought by the intelligent. Craftsmen is smart and they're in a lot of stupid hands. A little elbow grease and Vega knocks high-end. Not to say that there isn't high-end speakers out there I would prefer; there are..:arf:

harley .guy07
02-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I had a pair of AT-15 when i was younger and the first thing I did after getting them was go purchase an eq to tame the things. without proper equalization they are a very blatty sounding mess and by no means balanced. With me saying that they do have there place in the audio world. For someone that listens to rock music at loud levels with a good dose of power these speakers will definitely crank and give you what you want. I owned mine for a while but the harshness got to me and I moved to Paradigm monitor series which was an improvement to say the least. Not as loud but sonically superior. I will say that I would not ever own a pair of vega's again but if I had a kid straight out of high school going to college and wanted to set up a system at least you can know that most likely if set up right he's not going to call you and say he blew his speakers. Now I have heard that their new line of speakers especially the 215's are worlds above their previous models but I have not heard them for myself to know.

hifitommy
02-05-2011, 01:23 AM
"A little elbow grease and Vega knocks high-end."

i am sorry to tell you but youre only kidding yourself if you think most CVs approach high end. perhaps its all one needs with a sony receiver but that isnt near high end either. once you get some decent speakers like a pair of used vandersteens and some real and clean power in your room, you'll get the picture. surely in the denver area there are some stereo shop that carry the better makes so you can wet your whistle.

take along some of your favorite CDs and also be open to the unfamiliar music the sales rep might suggest. it may just highlight a performance characteristic significant to YOUR music. i learned a lot in hif fi shops by keeping my mouth closed and my ears open.

i am also one who rarely buys equipment but when the improvement is large for a small amount of cash, i fork it over. now and again, there will be a more major purchase that will be worth the wait saving up for.

i am the one who cited the absolute sound review of some $1000 CVs and they were reviewed by robert e. greene, a UCLA math professor. so i am aware that CV is capable of very good sound IF they put their mind to it.

pixelthis
02-05-2011, 01:14 PM
As a Cerwin Vega fan I will be the first to admit a few things. Like the fact that most Cerwin Vega speakers look like they belong in a roller ring. Bass is a little intimidating and they're usually sold that way to attract the younger crowd.

I have yet to find a pair of stereo speakers built to perfection by them. Its usually the tweeters, or the lack of bi-ampable terminals, or those damn crossover level controls. I hate those things; I've had to rebuild them on several speakers.

I'd like to get my hands on a pair of AL1000's or DC1515's. The CLS series seems very promising, but till I actually have them I'll never know. Any speaker or piece of equipment for that matter being that I don't usually buy from stores.

I think Cerwin Vega speakers are for the DIY'ers. They build them so far and the rest is up to the consumer. If you want concert loudspeakers you leave them be and if you want more out of them its usually doable and low cost.

I'm not finished on my end and I just introduced the AT-15's to my set-up. My apartment now sounds like a roller ring. I usually have many speakers on hand to compare with or to substitute. I sell a little I buy a little and I mean little! An almost ten year process.

I'm like Al Bundy - tarnished, but determined. Cerwin Vega is an intelligent buy, but not always bought by the intelligent. Craftsmen is smart and they're in a lot of stupid hands. A little elbow grease and Vega knocks high-end. Not to say that there isn't high-end speakers out there I would prefer; there are..:arf:

YOU SHOULDN'T NEED "elbow" grease for a new speaker. FYI , when you buy a new
speaker it should be complete.
AND BY "DIY do you mean dump in yard?
You would have better luck "fixing" a Yugo. AND CONCERT USE???
They will not last under such use, unless you are talking ablut a "sangin " at the old church place by the creek..
THERES BETTER OUT THERE for the same price, you could walk into BEST bUY
and pick out better blindfolded, and best Buy is not known for their speakers.
GET HELP, or at least a shrink that is liberal with the prescription pad.:1:

hifitommy
02-05-2011, 01:45 PM
pixi,

have you been to best buy lately? the old magnolia outlet is now in their stores (has been for years) and one of their brands is martin logan.

its not so much that they lack in speakers but electronics. yeah, denon and marantz make some pretty OK electronics but theyre a bit mass market. they fill their market niche well though.

those CVs reviewed by tas would be worth looking into even if they ARE cv.

youre right about the bulk of the cv line though. simoniz on excrement doesnt work.

pixelthis
02-05-2011, 02:05 PM
pixi,

have you been to best buy lately? the old magnolia outlet is now in their stores (has been for years) and one of their brands is martin logan.

its not so much that they lack in speakers but electronics. yeah, denon and marantz make some pretty OK electronics but theyre a bit mass market. they fill their market niche well though.

those CVs reviewed by tas would be worth looking into even if they ARE cv.

youre right about the bulk of the cv line though. simoniz on excrement doesnt work.

You are right about the MAGNOLIA room, although my local "Buy " only has a "music room", usually with some young punk punishing an innocent drumkit.
I WAS talking about the KLIPSCH, POLK, and other middlin speakers that , while great
in someones rec room or den, are somewhat lacking in the "audiophile"
category.
WHICH brings up something interesting. I bought a complete Klipsch setup, complete
with sub, and returned them, bought them from my audio dealer.
NOT MY CUP OF TEA, but perfectly respectable speakers. HOWEVER, when I went to
"Buy" the Klipsch they had on sale was dreadful, to say the least. I think they have lesser gear that they send to the big box outlets.
Thanks for the clarification on the MAGNOLIA stores, however. THE ONES I have seen are nice. But outta sight, outta mind.:1:

(O0o*o0O)
02-05-2011, 04:21 PM
I was thinking about swapping out some KLH 9915 speakers with a pair of Aspara HL-1's, but I'm not sure it will match my decor.
I'm a frequent reader in here and understand the audio world pretty well to know my list seems trailer park. You must admit I have balls for listing it. Its a project with a goal and an end. Also a theme; Sony ES, Cerwin Vega, Monster Cable, and DIY's.
I may look to match up other components and build other systems. Every friend and family member I have must have a stereo system so that keeps the range open. Its usually if I can't have it, someone I know can..

JoeE SP9
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
No, your gear isn't "trailer park". I can't imagine any of those boobs on Springer having anything better than an OEM stereo in their 87 F-150. I presume your rig sounds good to you (as it should).. That's all that really matters.
I'm puzzled as to what "high end" speakers you compared to your (modified) CV's. I'm also curious about your reasons for preferring CV's over other speakers. If the ability to play loud is the primary reason no other response is necessary.

pixelthis
02-06-2011, 01:10 PM
I was thinking about swapping out some KLH 9915 speakers with a pair of Aspara HL-1's, but I'm not sure it will match my decor.
I'm a frequent reader in here and understand the audio world pretty well to know my list seems trailer park. You must admit I have balls for listing it. Its a project with a goal and an end. Also a theme; Sony ES, Cerwin Vega, Monster Cable, and DIY's.
I may look to match up other components and build other systems. Every friend and family member I have must have a stereo system so that keeps the range open. Its usually if I can't have it, someone I know can..

Not saying it is "trailer park", but hear for the hills during a tornado warning.
And no, you do NOT have any "balls" due to "decor" entering into your decision process.
Sorry.:1: