Digital Cable-> Power Off [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Digital Cable-> Power Off

joel2762
03-23-2004, 03:15 AM
I have digital cable, and when I press power on the remote it operates the cable box and the tv itself. Now there's a problem. When you press power, it shuts the cable box off, then the tv. Some people don't realize this and just hit power and lay the remote down. Not leaving time for the TV's power signal to reach it. When the cable box is off and tv is on, it leaves a black screen, which is not pure black, brighter than the "power off black". Only people like me actually check for this and notice if the tv's on or not. It was on last night from around 11 until 7 this morning..and three hours last week just black...Will this burn black on the screen and make the picture dimmer overall? Just wondering, thanks.

woodman
03-23-2004, 10:50 AM
I have digital cable, and when I press power on the remote it operates the cable box and the tv itself. Now there's a problem. When you press power, it shuts the cable box off, then the tv. Some people don't realize this and just hit power and lay the remote down. Not leaving time for the TV's power signal to reach it. When the cable box is off and tv is on, it leaves a black screen, which is not pure black, brighter than the "power off black". Only people like me actually check for this and notice if the tv's on or not. It was on last night from around 11 until 7 this morning..and three hours last week just black...Will this burn black on the screen and make the picture dimmer overall? Just wondering, thanks.

Let me answer your last question first. No, leaving the set "on" in this condition will not damage the TV "screen" in any way. It will however run up more hours of use on all of the circuitry inside the set - quickening the day when some circuitry problem could occur.

What puzzles me though, is how you get into this situation in the first place? You say that "the" remote operates both the digital cable box AND the TV set, so how does the TV end up staying "on"?

omikey
03-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Let me answer your last question first. No, leaving the set "on" in this condition will not damage the TV "screen" in any way. It will however run up more hours of use on all of the circuitry inside the set - quickening the day when some circuitry problem could occur.

What puzzles me though, is how you get into this situation in the first place? You say that "the" remote operates both the digital cable box AND the TV set, so how does the TV end up staying "on"?
Woodman, couldn't this happen if in fact they use TWO buttons on the remote. One for each the cable box and one for the TV <----- under that condition you would have to hit both of the buttons (one followed by the other) to shut off both componets. ??

Another way to do this (better IMO) is to connect the TV into the 'SWITCHED' outlet on the cable box. Then when you turn off the cable box you also shut off the TV. Under this type of setup you could in fact turn off the TV and leave the cable box on. This is the way that I have mine setup currently. IMO this works best because the damn TW cablebox takes MINUTES to load whenever you have to power it up. So, I connect the TV into the SWITCHED outlet, use the cable box remote and programed one of the buttons to operate the TV and only use that button for power on/off.

What do you think ?

Mike

joel2762
03-23-2004, 03:38 PM
"What puzzles me though, is how you get into this situation in the first place? You say that "the" remote operates both the digital cable box AND the TV set, so how does the TV end up staying "on"?"

Well, the remote sends the power off signal to the cable box first, then to the tv. So if you just press power and lay the remote down in a place where it can't reach the tv, the tv remains on, but the box goes off leaving the black screen that only I would notice.

"couldn't this happen if in fact they use TWO buttons on the remote. One for each the cable box and one for the TV <----- under that condition you would have to hit both of the buttons (one followed by the other) to shut off both componets. ??"

Well if everyone could do that then they'd notice if the tv was on or not in the first place :D too "complicated"

"another way to do this (better IMO) is to connect the TV into the 'SWITCHED' outlet on the cable box. Then when you turn off the cable box you also shut off the TV"

Yeah I was thinking of that, but...I hook the box to the tv using one of the video inputs (Video 2) When the tv's power is cut and then restored, it's default is to go on Cable TV Mode not the last setting before power off so that would be trouble.

So thanks for the help. At least I know it won't damage the tv's screen. It doesn't happen often but I was just worried about the screen! Thanks for the help!