Need some advice [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Apollo1450
08-18-2009, 10:15 AM
hey guys, as you can gather from my thread in the home theater section i have moved and am putting my onkyo s680 in my friends theater room.

well i had my computer hooked up to it when it was in my room..and now i need a replacement for my computer. music is the top priority, although i use itunes so its not perfect to begin with i know...

sound quality is most important to me, don't really care about size...budget is only 2, maybe $300 since its more or less temporary

my soundcard is a bluegears b-enspirer http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829127002

i have been looking mostly at 2.1 systems, i do like a nice thump, but clear and crisp mids and highs are most important...have listened to logitech z2300's in store and i think they sound like ****. a friend had a set of klipsch promedia 2.1's and they sounded pretty good

i have been looking online at the m-audio av40's...also looked at creative gigaworks t40's but thinking i would need a sub with both of those...not sure about buying a speaker that i can't listen to first though...

any advice is appreciated

thanks

rob_a
08-18-2009, 11:01 AM
Blue Sky makes a good 2.1 system for computers, there stuff sounds very nice. Or do what I did, get an external DAC with a USB input and run that to a pre amp/amp set up. I use Itunes and have all my files saved in 16 bit stereo. Through the USB I run to a DAC unit and from there I run analog out to a tube integrated amp and from there to a set of small passive 2way speakers. I think the External DAC running through the USB made the biggest difference in improving the sound. I don’t think I spent more than $600 total for this set up, a little more then what your wanting to spend but I think it was worth it.

Apollo1450
08-18-2009, 12:36 PM
hmm...my sound card fuctions like a dac does it not? (btw it does have optical out)

i was thinking of trying to get a smaller av reciever to run some small speakers but not sure if i could get descent sound without spending too much money

Rudy Gireyev
08-18-2009, 01:27 PM
How about something like this:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/HomeEntertainment/AudioComponents/Hi-FiAudio/ci.X-Z9.Kuro

Rudy

Apollo1450
08-18-2009, 02:13 PM
hmm interesting...thats kind of what i'm looking for...except not $1800...and the fact that its not available anymore it seems

btw is this in the right section?

yogo
08-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Here's a link that might be helpful...

http://forums.audioreview.com/showthread.php?t=31010

rob_a
08-18-2009, 04:22 PM
hmm interesting...thats kind of what i'm looking for...except not $1800...and the fact that its not available anymore it seems

Humm??? I guess :)

My DAC does not have a opt. out, it is rca out.

you can find cheap used 2ch. receiver on ebay for a steal these days. as long as it can read the data sent from you opt. out on your computers sound card, you should be fine, i'm thinking a receiver with DD, DTS or Pro logis II, it should work??? but, I could be wrong.

luvtolisten
08-18-2009, 06:56 PM

You may want to post in "Digital Domain & Computer Audio", you would get more responses from folks who use their PC as their input source.

If you're looking for a budget receiver, I would go with an AV receiver. You don't care about the sound processing or video, since you will be using only the stereo mode. I say AV rather than stereo, because most budget AV receivers give you bass management, whereas you have to spend more to get in a stereo receiver That's if you may want to hook up a sub woofer using the receivers built in crossover rather than running speaker wires to to the sub and out again. For new budget AV recievers, Sherwood and Onkyo have been rated well. Or you can buy a refurb on line, or try Craigslist as well.

Here is a nice Onkyo Stereo receiver with sub out (refurb):

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/ONKTX8555/Onkyo/TX-8555-2-Channel-Stereo-Receiver-100W-x-2ch-BLACK/1.html

And a budget Marantz AV receiver:

http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/MARSR5600/Marantz/SR5600-receiver-90w-x-7ch-home-theater-surround/1.html

Apollo1450
08-19-2009, 11:04 PM
hmm ok...well can anyone comment on the sound of m-audio's or speakers like this?

rob_a
08-20-2009, 09:06 AM
hmm ok...well can anyone comment on the sound of m-audio's or speakers like this?

The m-audio is nice sounding and so are the KRK's, it all pref. most musical equipment or pro audio chain stores will have them. They will be more than happy to let you demo them. I personally like the KRK's, they have good detail and tight mids and lows. I would defiantly suggest demoing anything before you buy.

Rudy Gireyev
08-20-2009, 07:32 PM

Yes it is being closed out. Which is the reason I suggested it to you. If you are patient and keep your eye out you will catch Newegg or other internet retailers selling this system for under $500. :wink5:

Rudy