Spendor S8e question [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Spendor S8e question

SpendorGuy
08-17-2009, 03:57 PM
Hello Audio Forum,

I bought some Spendor S8e about a year ago now and I have been enjoying them with an 80 watt amp. I am happy with the speakers and not looking to move away from them, but I have gotten the itch to look at other amplifiers and pre-amps. I think the sound could be better with a more powerful and revealing amp. Currently I am using a Peachtree Nova, it sounds pretty good, but I want to know what level up I might want to take a look at.

Are there any classic combinations with this speaker I should be checking out? About what kind of power range? Have folks tried tubes, class A or AB, or even class D amps?

I am looking to build up a nice system and then try not to worry about it too much. I plan to look at used stuff on Agon as well as new.

Appreciate some ideas.

mlsstl
08-17-2009, 07:31 PM
I ran Spendor S8es for about a year with a Bel Canto S300 (150 watts/ch, class D) and thought it was a great combo. Plenty of power, good low bass control and a very tube-like high end.

(I switched to the classic Spendor SP1/2E about a year & a half ago; I prefer a tube amp with them.)