Need help, one speaker very quiet, other normal... [Archive] - Audio & Video Forums

PDA

View Full Version : Need help, one speaker very quiet, other normal...

Sharg
08-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Hello,

I am having trouble setting up my new receiver/audio system. I bought a new receiver and hooked it up to my television set, DVD/CD, VCR and turntable and to my two speakers (I dont have surround).

The problem is, that when I am using the TV only, one speaker sounds extremely low while the other is normal. I have played around with the balance settings on the television itself and no matter what I do, one of the speakers is still EXTREMELY low.

If I am listening to a CD in the DVD player that is not hooked up to my TV, the audio sounds normal on both speakers. Same thing if I listen through my turntable. But any time I switch to the TV, one speaker goes extremely low.

Any ideas? I cant seem to figure this out.

Thanks in advance...

basite
08-16-2009, 10:07 AM
could be the cable...

try switching the cable, if that fixed it, your cable was broken somewhere.
if it's not fixed, try changing the input on the receiver (plug the tv in on the cd input for instance), if that fixes it, it could be that your tv input on the receiver is broken (could be an easy repair, a broken solder joint, for instance, could also be harder).
If this doesn't help, the problem lies in the TV, could be some tiny annoying setting somewhere that causes this, but it could also be a hardware fault, same as with the receiver...

First check though, if everything is wired correctly...
good luck

keep them spinning,
Bert.

Worf101
08-16-2009, 12:50 PM
Unless you or some other person in your house has meddled with the individual output settings on that speaker, when in TV mode, you've answered your own question. If, as you state, other inputs work fine and the problem only occurs when watching T.V. with the sound routed through your receiver then you've already narrowed the problem down to either your settings or the reciever itself. Make, model and age of the receiver might help someone help you.

Da Worfster

Sharg
08-16-2009, 12:52 PM
I have checked by plugging into another port as you suggested and the same problem is present. I've played around with every TV setting I could and it is still present.

any other suggestions?

Receiver is a brand new Onkyo TX-8555 Stereo Receiver, TV is a Samsung that is a couple years old, I dont recall the model off hand, but it's pretty new as well.

Thanks.

basite
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
tried the changing cable thing as well?

Sharg
08-16-2009, 01:10 PM
tried the changing cable thing as well?

Yes I've tried two different cables, all to the same effect.

Sharg
08-16-2009, 03:06 PM
Any other ideas?

Rudy Gireyev
08-16-2009, 08:16 PM
How are you connecting your TV to your receiver?
Meaning, what kind of cable are you using?
Which input on your receiver are you using?

Rudy

Sharg
08-17-2009, 08:43 AM
I connect my TV to my receiver through a standard A/V cable, one with three plugs (red, yellow, white). On my TV I connect it to the three A/V out plugs and on my receiver, I put it into the three plugs designated for TV in.

I have tried a different input on the receiver, same thing occurs.

Rudy Gireyev
08-17-2009, 09:43 AM
I connect my TV to my receiver through a standard A/V cable, one with three plugs (red, yellow, white). On my TV I connect it to the three A/V out plugs and on my receiver, I put it into the three plugs designated for TV in.

I have tried a different input on the receiver, same thing occurs.
OK those are called RCA composite cables. These are just wild swings at it but here goes:
1. Make sure the colors from the TV match up to the colors on the receiver. Yellow is for video (which you can unplug), and red and white are for each audio channel. Just in case your receiver has component cables plug in that are colored differently.
2. Make sure the red and white cables is plugged in snuggly at both TV and receiver ends.
3. My TV offers a digital audio out (optical in my case) consult your manual to see if yours offers the same. Another digital audio connection can be SPDIF.
4. Finally consult your receiver manual on connecting your TV to the receiver, there may be some settings on your receiver that need to be enabled/disabled. Or there may be some other input that needs to be utilized.

I know these are out there in the left field but this is all I got. :)

Rudy

Sharg
08-17-2009, 07:10 PM
OK those are called RCA composite cables. These are just wild swings at it but here goes:
1. Make sure the colors from the TV match up to the colors on the receiver. Yellow is for video (which you can unplug), and red and white are for each audio channel. Just in case your receiver has component cables plug in that are colored differently.
2. Make sure the red and white cables is plugged in snuggly at both TV and receiver ends.
3. My TV offers a digital audio out (optical in my case) consult your manual to see if yours offers the same. Another digital audio connection can be SPDIF.
4. Finally consult your receiver manual on connecting your TV to the receiver, there may be some settings on your receiver that need to be enabled/disabled. Or there may be some other input that needs to be utilized.

I know these are out there in the left field but this is all I got. :)

Rudy

Tried all of these suggestions, the cables are hooked correctly, the manuals for the TV and receiver do not give any additional info besides "Plug this here and that there". Here's hoping someone else has a suggestion...